back to article Mirror, mirror on the wall: Is Acronis backup truly the fastest of them all?

Acronis claims its Backup 12 product is "the fastest data protection technology in the world." An EMC partner senior tech architect says no, it's not, and has figures that he says proves it. Acronis claims in a Scuderia Toro Rosso release that: "According to the latest report released by Network Testing Labs this week, Acronis …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"It only takes 35.6 minutes to back up a 180GB virtual machine with Acronis"

Great ! I'm going to set it up on my Pentium with a 10MB LAN connection to my NAS. I now know that my 250GB will be backed up in no more than 48.6 minutes !

Can I sue if takes longer ?

1. Down not across

Re: "It only takes 35.6 minutes to back up a 180GB virtual machine with Acronis"

Given the response of

"The Network Testing Labs (Lab) has performed the tests on the identical equipment for each test, as defined in the Lab report. In this process, the Lab aimed to re-create a typical environment representative of average Acronis business customers. In this typical environment, Acronis software has outperformed the competition, showing results from 60 per cent to 100 per cent faster, with all other variables being the same."

you might be onto something. To achieve so low throughput, Acronis business customers must run truly diabolical kit.

Having once tried their True Image or something like that which was bundled with SSD to try to migrate a disk (why yes, of course it made total hash of it and it didn't work at all) I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Gostev

Veeam

"Acronis Backup 12 is proving to be faster than Veeam Availability Suite 9"

I bet the toughest part of the testing was to make Veeam back up slower than said 80 MB/s. Perhaps switching backup proxy to NBD mode and limiting the number of concurrent tasks to 1-2 would do this. Otherwise, it's hard to imagine Veeam not dishing out at least a few hundreds MB/s in pretty much any environment, with over 1 GB/s performance reports not being uncommon (here's the recent one, also from 3rd party https://vmstorageguy.wordpress.com/2016/07/01/datacenter-4-0-a-reference-architecture-with-cisco-netapp-and-veeam/)

4. joed

reality check

As a long time user and advocate I've become somewhat disappointed with ATI's problems handling UEFI and GPT disks (boot media in particular). Their cloud down your throat strategy (sign in/create account to activate) was just a step too far. All these issues have been addressed by Macrium's Felect software. Fast, reliable and easy to use (personal/free version). I bet the same applies to their enterprise offerings.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

use VADP and change block tracking or you are junk.

in no paticuler order here are some products that do it quite well.

Avamar with DD

Networker (vba) with DD

Netbackup (NBD or SAN) with either NBU appliance or DD

Veam with DD

depending on the delta change of the vm's in question, the above solutions will smoke that number with zero issues.

6. Oh Homer
    Facepalm

You mean...

Marketing is a lie?

Shocking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon