back to article Microsoft grabs employment guns, aims at British sales units

Microsoft is expected to release more than 100 employees across the UK organisation from the shackles of employment, multiple sources have told The Register. Hapless staff were recently flown to Orlando for the FY’17 global sales kick off MGX – Microsoft’s Global Exchange – where they heard about priorities for the year ahead …

1. hplasm
    Holmes

Is that a leak-

In the good ship MS?

rats.rats swimming about...

1. Chika

Re: Is that a leak-

Let's face it; the technologies being touted by Microsoft, as well as the technologies failing in Microsoft, are all likely to see some redundancy as far as staffing goes. The biggest problem, as ever, will be whether the redundancies are made to boost revenue, something that seems apparent in the banking industry at present, or it is done to save the company from haemorrhaging money on projects that are no longer relevant.

Much as I might dislike Microsoft and some of its past deeds, it's never pleasant to see people booted out because a company took a risk and failed, or if they took an incorrect decision, especially because I know that the people are the top of the company will still be there and will still have all the dosh.

1. asdf

>I know that the people are the top of the company will still be there and will still have all the dosh.

WP was Ballmer's baby so no they might not still be there but yeah they will have dosh regardless.

2. Tim 11

Err, we're talking about 100 people here. big companies are restructuring all the time taking people on and laying them off - it's just business as usual.

I'm not saying there isn't a bigger story about MS, but I don't think you can say for sure this is a symptom of it.

2. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

David Copperfield

Probably consulted with MS HR people on this best methods for making them disappear......

1. BebopWeBop

Re: David Copperfield

It's not David you want to worry about but Uriah

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
        Joke

Re: David Copperfield

Maybe the MS staff will be too scared to run because they have tears in their eyes?

(Just to mix the metaphors a little bit more...)

3. Otto is a bear.

Here's a thought

Why not retrain, and update skills, one assumes these people all have market skills and corporate memory. Unless they are just circulating the duffers again.

1. Mark 85

Re: Here's a thought

I think it's the last sentence of your post. But there also seems to be a revolving door policy... Booted from MS.. goto Cisco... booted from Cisco, goto HP.. etc. etc. Funny thing is, the people I've known that do this never, ever, retrain on "new tech"... they just sell it.

4. kain preacher

not to make light of it but 100 people is not alot for MS.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And I guess they all installed Win10 before it became unfree...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Oh how I hope...

...RICHTO "The Vogon" is among those being liberated. --->

Perhaps then he'll find something more constructive and honourable to do with his time... like swabbing the floors of a brothel?

6. MrDamage Silver badge

They should have known,

Because bad thing always happen in threes.

Flown to Orlando

"Entertained" by Justin Timberdouche

Sacked.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like