back to article No need to panic, says SwiftKey, as email addresses, phone numbers appear on strangers' screens

SwiftKey has shut down the cloud synchronization feature of its keyboard app after people reported seeing strangers' email addresses and phone numbers on their phone screens. The Microsoft-owned biz insists there isn't a problem with its security. For the past few days, users have complained that SwiftKey's next-word …

1. Mutton Jeff

Funny...

This happens post Microsoft, coincidence?

1. djstardust

Re: Funny...

Not at all. Anything M$ touches turns to shit. Sadly this is another fine example of that.

2. a_yank_lurker

Is it deliberate? Remember this is the commercial front for the NSA and other feral spookhauses.

3. revdjenk

Good thing I uninstalled Swiftkey as soon as the sale to MS was announced!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This happens post Microsoft, coincidence?

Well ..

The Microsoft-owned biz insists there isn't a problem with its security. (from the article)

Yup - it's now definitely a Microsoft organisation. MS has been ignoring security for something close to 3 decades. That may change with W10, as it no longer needs to leave problems in the code to get you to buy the next version but I reckon it's hard to change such a habit..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have to say that I like the app and have found it very useful when typing in one of three languages.

I don't let it synch so I think I'm safe but who knows, perhaps MS have ignored my wishes or overridden them via an update....

Anyone know of a good alternative to SwiftKey?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Alternative

I like "FITALY", but you may need to use it on Windows CE or PalmPilot - or desktop/tablet Windows.

2. sorry, what?
    Facepalm

Cloudy with a chance of...

Meatheads.

Perfect example as to why having data sent to the cloud is a really bad idea. Give me back locally stored data and a way to explicitly sync it between specific devices.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't aware of sale to Microsoft, but this has been happening here, in lesser form for a couple of years. I've spent time weeding predictions obviously from someone else's prediction cloud. Some one, probably fairly soon will discover the flipped bit(s) and it'll fade away without any admissions from Microsoft. 'Cloud Situation Normal.'

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"The vast majority of SwiftKey users are not affected by this issue"

Oh good, nothing important then. Not to worry. Carry on.

Sorry, but if only one user is affected by this issue it is still important to get it solved.

Go on trying to PR your way out ; anyone with a brain has already marked you down as an outfit to avoid.

Of course, given the number of people who don't have a brain, your future is still bright.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm glad I unplug more (a new class of Sheeple inhabit the internet)

"The SwiftKey psychic keyboard stores your past keystrokes in the cloud and uses them to suggest words specifically for you before you type them – it's a personally tailored text-prediction system."

........Am I alone in thinking that the only thing worse than using this service, is using it and signing in with a Googoyle ID, WTF???

"So it appears there's been a cockup in SwiftKey's cloud systems, where private information gathered on users is being mixed up with other users – a potential privacy nightmare, in other words."

........Schadenfreude doesn't cut it today...

"The company has now put out a statement acknowledging that the software is bugged, but says there is no need to panic and that having other people's phone numbers and email addresses appear on random strangers' phones isn't a security matter."

........You deserve everything you get SwiftKey users. Enjoy!

1. Paper

Re: I'm glad I unplug more (a new class of Sheeple inhabit the internet)

I was an idiot and did not unplug. Not sure what I was thinking. As soon as they re-enable sync, I'm zapping all my remote data and deleting my sync-account.

*must think what else I was stupid enough to plug into*

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The one saving grace there might be is if the "wrong" predictions are un-connected. If you're getting an email address for one person and the telephone number for another, how much does it matter? If there is no link, how could you use them for password recovery? And it is arguable that security should not depend on keeping those details secret

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

When people see email addys and phone numbers from someone else popping up on their screen, they have to wonder: "What else will go wrong?"

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand this service

As it is personal, the predictor tables (whatever they are) could be held locally (unless they need lots of space of processing power, whcih I doubt). Between-device synchro could then be done using rsync of a possibly encrypted blob?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: I don't understand this service

Cloud is better because cloud.

Cloud!

The only possible reason I can think of is for MS to keyboard scrape everyone. There is no other possible purpose for doing this.

They could argue the mass keyboard scrap is to "improve" the predictions in some way, but it's still mass keyboard scraping.

8. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

...funny it should happen after I installed the german language... :innercent:

Any good alternatives?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like