back to article Pokémon Go tragedy strikes

Twitter was awash with the tears of Pokémon Go hunters today after an update appeared to reset their game and erased three weeks of hard work. Users jumped onto the social media platform to reveal the tragic news with one, Nikki Peele, telling her followers, “I lost my Pokemon and all the money I put into the game… trying to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google

I just had to log in again with my Google account - but this time it only needed access to my name and email address and not everything. The 3 pokemon I've caught over the weeks were still there..

2. Shane McCarrick

Perhaps I'm too 'old' but I just don't 'get' the whole phenomenon. If an update did wipe their settings and/or accumulated pets/riches (whatever)- you can be sure it'll be reversed before long.........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why post then?

I look forward to reading similar comments on everything else you don't get. You must have basically zero free time, as you're not omniscient and simply MUST egotistically tell people when something doesn't interest you.

1. Law

@ DrLifeCandy

Seems hypocritical chastising people expressing they don't "get" a game.... when you post this weeks earlier:

"Clash of Kings hack: 1.8m hit

8 days - DrLifecandy

Good.

Hopefully turns people off this rubbish."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @ DrLifeCandy

So rather than argue my point you go ad hominem?

You may as well have just conceded I'm right.

1. Swarthy
            Facepalm

I don't think exposing a hypocritical stance counts as an ad hominem.

2. Law

"You may as well have just conceded I'm right."

I really haven't.

3. Teiwaz

Pokemon Gone? - If only...

I know a few into it, I know plenty who don't see the point. I've been told I'm a grumpy guy who just doesn't get it, but I just don't want to as I have an obsessive personality. I have enough to contend with keeping the ones I have in check.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pokemon Gone? - If only...

Oh, how fascinating - you don't see the point.

What a fabulous use of your time informing people on an article you have no interest in.

1. Alien8n

Not quite what was said, he says he has plenty of friends who don't see the point. And I can see what he means about the game becoming potentially obsessive. Luckily my kids aren't that bad, but they'll still go out and meet up at a local cafe that serves as a pokestop. This game must have done wonders for our local coffee shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'I've been told I'm a grumpy guy who doesn't get it'

1. Little Mouse

What is this - bloody Groundhog Day?

1. Mark 85
              Facepalm

Nah.. it's a Monday morning Urinating Contest with the contestants going for distance and accuracy.

Disclaimer... I don't play it and have no desire to, but it is an interesting phenomena none the less. I have friends of my age (late 60's) and I think it's great that they are playing. Oh wait.. I just peed on the lawn.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

you seem to have a few down votes, that might just tell you something if not, also as I have some spare time could I also add that you might want to read up on what ad hominem is before using it, after all you attacked someone in the first instance .

Have a nice day

4. Mikel

Whatever this game is

It has been a help getting the kids outside for summer play.

5. adam payne

If it gets the kids out of the house then i'm all for it, six weeks is a long time.

6. Buzzword

The hype cycle is getting shorter

There was a time, not so long ago, when a hip new trend like Pokemon Go would be popular for at least a couple of years. Angry Birds was popular for at least six months. Pokemon Go has been out for less than a month, and already it feels like yesterday's buzz. In fact every new trend has a lifespan measured in weeks; and no doubt it's only getting shorter. What's going on?

1. 's water music

Re: The hype cycle is getting shorter

Short hype cycle complaints?

...so five seconds ago

wait wat?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The hype cycle is getting shorter

If it was "yesterday's buzz", people wouldn't be upset about an update that reset their game...

Just because it isn't on major media sources on a daily basis like it was the first week doesn't mean it has gone the way of the pet rock already. It just means that major media has reported on it a few times, has nothing new left to say at this point, and has now moved back to real news like terrorism, floods and politicians doing politician things.

When you someday read about how the number of active players is down 50% from the peak, then you can conclude it is passe, but since it hasn't even been released in the majority of the world yet, that seems a bit premature. Though erasing three weeks of "work" for millions of players would certainly be one way to end things early!

7. Neil C Burns

copied from ds,

THERE ARE SOME GOOGLE LOGIN ISSUES

Some users are claiming Pokémon Go is resetting their accounts and forcing them to start from the beginning – ie Level 1 – all over again.

However, it seems that the app is attempting to force players to use a different email account to their normal one. So don't panic, try logging in again with your normal Gmail account and everything should be fine

8. AMBxx Silver badge
    Joke

Windows Phone User

What's Pokemon Go?

1. Craig 2
      Joke

Re: Windows Phone User

It's an app.... whaddya mean you don't know what apps are either?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We don't need no steeenkin' apps. MS provides all.

1. kventin

"""MS provides all."""

of course it does:

POKEMON is part of the infamous debug & diagnostic pack (D&D) _but_ can also be found in semi-official abridged d&d (AD&D) pack, which is free to use (if you only find one).

it is surprisingly low level monitoring tool, along with it's companion PEEKMON.

related are ms specific COMMON and perhaps least known CUMMON (chiefly used to visualise the mess created by imprudent use of POKE)

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

After "Trump is Putin's Poodle" (really!)

Pokémon Go a tool to destabilize Russia

Not sure whether true, it is the "Washington Times" after all. >< What does the Reverend Moon say to all of this?

10. Gene Cash Silver badge

What's the point?

I'm a fat grumpy old guy and I don't really see the point of the game, but it DOES get me out from in front of the PC and into the fresh air and sunshine.

I've walked more in the past 2 weeks than probably the past two years.

I've had actual discussions with actual strangers *in person* that didn't involve my lunch order or how I wanted my groceries bagged.

And actually there's not any point to any computer game, other than follow the rules to get whatever rewards for effort, or story points.

I do love the bit about giving the monsters back to have them ground up into candy!

11. Steve Foster
    Childcatcher

"Tragedy Strikes"

...I was expecting a rather different story to be behind the headline, about how the list of Darwin Award candidates was getting longer by the minute.

I'm kinda disappointed by the actual (non) story...

12. Dadmin
    Go

Ever since I was a young boy, I played the Pokémon...

...That deaf, dumb, and blind kid, sure plays a mean Pokémon Go!

*guitar solo*

As my grandfather once said: "Tesla Autopilot: 1, Pokémon Go: 0"

My youngster downloaded it on release day, played the shit out of it for four days, then when I asked, why the drop-off in play, young person? "The game is not that fun." HAHA! Lesson learnteded; the Pokémon games are fun, if you are seriously into collecting the characters, the gameplay mechanics on the "games" themselves are quite crappy. This ain't "Grand Theft Pokémon" it's so much less than that. Gotta teach 'em all!

Want a kick-ass game with shitloads of replayabilityness? Try Pinball Arcade, friend.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon