back to article Beer merger dwarfs EMC/Dell

Two of the world's largest brewers are set to merge. Anheuser-Busch InBev is already the world's largest brewer, producing Stella Artois, Budweiser, Becks, Leffe and Corona, among many others. The company has, of late, stalked rival SAB Miller, producer of Coors, Miller, Fosters, Peroni, Grolsch and plenty more. SAB Miller …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Reminds me of the late 1990ies' "new economy" when suddenly everybody was merging left, right and center like there would be no tomorrow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Little chance of this being allowed in the US

Put Bud, Miller and Coors (and all the "craft" brews they've bought out over the past decade) all under one roof? Not likely. They'll be forced to divest some part of that here.

3. GrumpyOF
    Pint

Several of SAB Millers european breweries have already been shipped off to Asahi from Japan

Thought the icon appropriate, but very concerned that the takeover will leave our SA beers alone.Heaven forbid that Bud comes to the African continent, even if they did sponsor the 2010 Football (not soccer) World Cup.

4. Bronek Kozicki

I don't care

All are inferior lagers anyway, it does not matter whether under one roof or not.

5. A K Stiles
    Pint

Awww...

Peroni was about the only 'mainstream' lager I'd tolerate (icy cold on a hot day).

What else is there that I should be able to get delivered with my supermarket shopping for the icy beer needs? It seems like sacrilege to chill any of the real ales that far.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Awww...

Try Czech beer, they know how to make nice lagers.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Awww...

Budvar

6. Unicornpiss
    Pint

Can't say I really like any of them..

..except maybe a cold regular Coors once in a while. I think I'll continue to support local microbrewers who have some really tasty stuff. Though I won't pass up a free megabrewed beer. Free as in beer :)

I wonder how the US anti-monopoly laws will play with this merger?

1. ToddR

Re: Can't say I really like any of them..

English lager is for girls.

2. Don Dumb
      Stop

@Unicornpiss - expect most of the microbreweries have been brought out by these two goliaths over the last few years. Have a look at the full list of beers they own and you'll realise there's actually very few that aren't owned by them.

1. Unicornpiss
        Happy

"@Unicornpiss - expect most of the microbreweries have been brought out by these two goliaths over the last few years. Have a look at the full list of beers they own and you'll realise there's actually very few that aren't owned by them."

There are a lot of local and regional breweries near me (including a few great brewpubs) that aren't big enough fish to be bought out, yet still have awesome beer and are big enough to have distribution in local stores. (though I usually just take a growler or two when they have their discount fill nights)

Overall in the US, I'm glad that you can go into even the big restaurant chains now and find at least a couple of palatable beers on draft. The craft beer fad/trend has reached mainstream to the joy of all beer lovers. 10-15 years ago if you were lucky you'd find a bar with some Sam Adams in addition to the weak piss water offerings from Anheiser-Busch or Miller. Not terrible by any means, but not inspiring either. I guess I've just been a beer snob from way back, before it was even fashionable :)

7. MJI Silver badge
    Pint

Hmmmmmmmmm

I am sure that years ago Stella was different to today, now it is a generic Lager

But the ones they are merging, not sure if it would matter, most are just generics or poor quality US pop.

8. MJI Silver badge

Lagers

Czech lagers

Been some changes recently, noticed that Staropraman now is a generic lager.

But here is my lager advice

Premium, try Budvar, still their own company and good lager

Cheap, French lagers in small bottles from supermarkets, slake your thirst, cheap, and not bad at all. Tesco usually have lots. Not premium at all but VFM is pretty good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon