back to article 'LulzSec leader Aush0k' found to be naughty boy not worthy of jail

The man that Australia's Federal Police once described as "a self-proclaimed leader of the group ‘Lulz Security’ (Lulzsec)" has been sentenced to 15 months of home detention, after a local magistrate decided he was just a very naughty boy. Flannery was sentenced last week in a case that has to date evaded law reports and media …

1. dan1980

It's all rather pointless because these changes have broad bi-partisan support. How do our political leaders expect us to have a say in this if there is only one voice? (That was rhetorical.)

Sometimes I think nihilism is the only sensible position to take with things such as this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"these changes have broad bi-partisan support."

is that because, since the days of Gough Whitlam, all Australian politicos (on all sides) have a nice thick dossier complied about them, in several places? Occasionally they will all vote the same way...

We have the same situation in UK, with virtually no-choice on many issues. Ubiquitous dossier-led politics?

I'd personally say this actual above comment was typical of a 'Conspiracy theory' (except we learned recently that the very concept of 'Conspiracy Theory' was a COINTELPRO contemporary activity by a US agency)

I'd further comment on my own comments above with the phrase

'You're a nutjob'

(so as to deny the pleasure of doing this by whatever agency information rapid response force is monitoring/trolling the Register website) sorry for bringing up the past, but it does have a habit of affecting the future..

1. Tchou

Re: "these changes have broad bi-partisan support."

You're a nutjob.

Sincerely yours,

CIA Rapid Response Team - El Reg Division

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I was expecting that reply!

well done that team

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

politics by secret dossier

an example in evidence

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2799772/spies-covered-sex-abuse-teen-girls-hands-ira-leader-blackmailed-spying-them.html

which is sort-of-great because the IRA were a major threat to UK in the 1970's, but is it impossible that the same system was AND CONTINUES to be used for politicos nowadays, even where terrorism isn't involved?

2. macjules

You're a bujnot

©AFP Word processing division.

1. hplasm
          Happy

"You're a bujnot"

isn't that an Australian animal?

2. Ole Juul

Australia's Federal Police

These guys obviously want to prove themselves and are desperate for something to do.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Australia's Federal Police

These kind are the worst. Only organized bus trips to the Fletcher Memorial home have any chance at remediating the situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So would you propose to put them on the 'overgrown infant' or the 'incurable tyrant' ward ?

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Perhaps they need to visit the Fletcher Memorial home just so that

they can appear to themselves every day on closed circuit t.v.

{apologies to Roger Waters}

2. aberglas

They need to read up on the Sydney Hilton Bombing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Hilton_Hotel_bombing

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quote:The {1978}Hilton {bombing}case has been highly controversial due to allegations that Australian security forces may have been responsible. This led to the New South Wales parliament unanimously calling for the commonwealth to hold an inquiry in 1991 and 1995. The federal government refused to hold an inquiry.

if it looks like a Gladio False-Flag, and smells like a Gladio False-Flag, then maybe it is!

The German/Luxembourg Secret Service managed to detonate many many bombs around this period with no deaths...but if Australian government didn't want to study incidents like this then we can refer to open analysis of the similar Gladio 'happenings' by the Italian state.

there is the report of the investigation of the Italian Senate in June 2000 that says all these "killings by bombs and military actions" that the country suffered between 1969 and 1987 (with 491 civilian deaths and 1,181 wounded and maimed) "were organised, promoted or supported by men in the institutions of the Italian state and by men linked to the structures of United States intelligence"

Anyway, if 'teh Lulzsec leader' Aush0k was such a good hacker - why don't the ASD/DSD Geraldton/Melbourne/Shoal Bay/Riverina or Pine Gap simply recruit him, again?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aaand in other news

Someone releases a special application to find the nearest "Dignitas".

Called the Dignitapp. "Tired of life? There's an app for that" ... >:->

1. i like crisps
      Unhappy

Re: Aaand in other news

Looked into that a few weeks ago....you wouldn't believe the cost and hoop jumping you have to do to self-terminate at that place....i thought you just rocked up to the clinic and that was that, but no! you've actually got to JOIN Digintas by paying a 'sub'!!.......i'll stick with my original plan of a very tall building and a very hard pavement. Even in my most darkest moments, i'm still a tight-wad.

4. lurker

"Self Proclaimed Leader"

"I am the Pope". There you go, I am the self-proclaimed leader of the catholic church and it's billions of believers across the world.

Kid could easily just be a random skiddy from 4chan with delusions of grandeur, whose big mouth got him in trouble.

1. Tchou

Re: "Self Proclaimed Leader"

Some others tried that with some success in the past centuries, like "I'm son of God".

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "Self Proclaimed Leader"

Actually, if you look at these credentials, you will find that me and my wife are the pope.

5. Cipher
    Big Brother

5 Eyes, PRISM nab...

...Script Kiddie social engineer defacing website?

I know many will sleep sounder tonight knowing this menace has been brought to justice.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Situation normal

It's pretty normal for prosecuting council to big up the dangers hackers represent, same with Kevin Mitnick decades ago where the prosecutors had seen the movie Wargames at the time and basically used this to deny him access to touch tone phones or computers as he could "start a nuclear war" which was just as absurd now as it was then (the director of Wargames was on record at the time as saying "at the moment this could not happen").

Same with the whole cyberwar concept, if you have nuclear reactors or actually anything more serious than a coffee machine hooked up to the internet, without serious access control, then you get what you are asking for, and most countries intelligence services have surveyed critical infrastructure to death by now for these kinds of weaknesses, but still we get constant pleas for more funding to "combat this very real threat".

Having said that it is fun to look at sites like http://map.ipviking.com and watch the too and fro of attacks, seems traffic from China based hosts are very interested in US power and telecoms companies for some reason, don't read much about anyone trying to serve warrants there.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Situation normal

Whilst critical infrastructure should not be connected to the internet, don't forget all the supporting computers that make it all a 'system', which if disrupted could still cause a huge amount of....disruption.

7. jake Silver badge

"Australia's intelligence agencies"

Finally, a plural for "oxymoron".

8. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Shouldn't they go after crocodiles and poisonous spiders?

Humans are probably the least scary thing in Australia.

Except Donk. Donk was scary. ("Nah. I don't need one. I got a Donk.")

9. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Don't Worry

It's just ...whistleblower rules that make it an offence for journalists to report on security agencies' activity and data retention legislation. It's just the tip. It's for your own good. It won't hurt much. You never want to hear any of the above. None of them end well for anyone other than the person saying them.

10. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Alien

Humans need an upgrade

As long as the initial ALARM is more widely publicized than the subsequent back-track, what incentive is there for them to stop the propaganda?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Humans need an upgrade

Yep, lots of zero day vulnerabilities. Tuesday then?

11. willi0000000

nice to see our colleagues in Oz are finally taking this game seriously.

- NSA

12. ecofeco Silver badge

AFP?

It took me a couple of reads to realize it was the AFP, not the FBI, although I still don't see any difference.

13. John Tserkezis

He's not the Messiah, he's a Very Naughty Boy

Couldn't help but think of this, like what the judge would have said when the AFP brought him in with puffed out chests and so proud of themselves...

14. J__M__M

Where I'm from, he'd get the electric chair.

And it would make me feel safe (and morally superior (and a bit ironic)).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

thanks dude

I never touched base to say thank you for your fair and accurate reporting Richard.

Of the many reporters I spoke to, you were the only one who was after the truth and not just headlines. For that, I thank you. Honesty and integrity are important, especially for people in positions such as yours.

Until our paths cross again.

Your friend Max.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Armed Islamic Terrorist Hackers must be banned

Coming to a Trump convention near you soon..

17. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Justice at work

It's interesting that when a citizen is caught telling lies to the Police it's an offence, but when the police tell porkie pies the whole thing gets forgotten and nobody every gets punished.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon