back to article Dem-owned-crats: Now its congressional committee is hacked

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee – which represents Democrats in the US House of Representatives – has been hacked, and miscreants have made off with a massive amount of data. The DCCC confirmed its computer systems were infiltrated and ransacked in a manner similar to the high-profile intrusion at the …

1. Michael Habel

Someone get Assange a cookie

Cause he's doing God's work in showing what a bunch of corrupted criminals these Democrats are!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Someone get Assange a cookie

I don't suppose the cookie will come from the cookie jar of Toria Nuland...

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

I would have given you an up vote if you had written "Cause he's doing God's work in showing what a bunch of corrupted criminals most of the Republicans and Democrats are!. Just get rid of the Citizens United.".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Lars, tell me which party just had a usurper take over the joint, and which party picked the "next in line" to be their standard bearer? Appears to me that, like it or not, the GOP is getting reformed (good and hard!) while the Dems are wallowing in the exercise of naked power, wielded for its own sake.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The GOP won't get reformed unless Trump loses. If he wins, it'll be business as usual for them, other than his random position of the day not necessarily lining up with the republican party platform as well as the leadership would like.

2. Lars Silver badge
          Unhappy

@ Big John

What the hell is your problem, I know, you know everybody knows Trump is a twat, a disgrace for the Republicans and for the whole country and western civilization. I really do not envy you the situation your party has put you into. What ever you decide, you will feel rotten about it.

2. Peter in Seattle

Buckley v. Valeo is at least as problematic as Citizens United.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Buckley v. Valeo is at least as problematic as Citizens United.

The essence of what Trump is selling is found in Plessy v. Ferguson.

3. Gravis Ultrasound

Lars, les alle fakta om saken.

Most people don't know, or don't remember, that the Citizen United case was about Hillary Clinton attempting to suppress a documentary film about her.

Luckily, Supreme Court sided with freedom of speech.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Luckily, Supreme Court sided with freedom of speech.

Yeah what would happen to our society if holier than holy with more rights than people corporations couldn't give unlimited amounts of money covertly to influence our political system. Honestly I get that money simply amplifies a message and I wouldn't actually be against even unlimited donations as long as they are transparent. I do have a giant problem when corporations get to have their own religion chosen by the 1%ers owners forced on everyone. Twitter to the rescue which will probably be the first thing the GOP has in their postmortem report why they lost and no longer have a majority on the SCOTUS (lets be honest they might as well have party affiliations next to their name at this point).

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Would you like to point at the email on wikileaks that proves the democrats are corrupt criminals? If you actually find one, how would you prove it was written by a democrat and not a fake planted by the crackers?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pray tell, why did Debbie Wasserman Shultz need to resign just as the convention was about to start, other than from knowledge of guilt?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because sometimes the person in charge gets to take the fall, regardless of their own guilt. The emails proved that the leadership wanted Clinton to win, and were looking for ways to help her. I don't think that's illegal, just not ethical as voters would (hopefully) want the party to remain neutral.

I imagine if we had a look at RNC emails we'd see a lot of the same sort of stuff when they were scrambling trying to stop Trump.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I imagine if we had a look at RNC emails we'd see a lot of the same sort of stuff when they were scrambling trying to stop Trump."

Yes we would, but they lost, didn't they? The People won in the Republican case, while the entrenched power base won in the Democrat case.

And about DWC taking the fall for the sins of the DNC, you're right. As the visible leader of the DNC, she would not be able to do too much obvious fixing, personally. That's what people are for!

And if she really is innocent, then it means she is oblivious to a fault, but we on the Right knew that already.

1. DavCrav

""I imagine if we had a look at RNC emails we'd see a lot of the same sort of stuff when they were scrambling trying to stop Trump."

Yes we would, but they lost, didn't they? The People won in the Republican case, while the entrenched power base won in the Democrat case."

Ah, now I get you. It's only successful unethical behaviour you care about, not unsuccessful unethical behaviour. You should maybe go and look up the word 'hypocrite' in the dictionary, if you like looking at pictures of yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You seem to have gotten hold of the idea that I'm defending what the GOP tried to do to Don. Please disabuse yourself of that notion. The entrenched GOP bigwigs are almost as big a problem as on the Dem side, but the fact that they failed to control the nomination as the Dems did is telling, don't you think? Or did the Republicans just get lucky?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Because sometimes the person in charge gets to take the fall,

Unless you have a Scooter Libby on staff.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> "Unless you have a Scooter Libby on staff."

Bad comparison, because in the Plame case it turned out no one in the Bush camp was actually guilty of anything, so Scooter took the fall for a non-crime.

You have to admire the Democrat/Media Axis; When they get the chance to hound a hated enemy's minion to the jailhouse on false but semi-plausable charges (while the actual perp smirks in a dark corner), they get 'er done, by ghod!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

>because in the Plame case it turned out no one in the Bush camp was actually guilty of anything

Oh except for that very same thing they are saying Hillary should be jailed for, mishandling classified information (with a lot less evidence in Hillary's case, granted she is a female Bond villain but have to do better than that).

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Hypocrisy is something that was found in spades in the Texas bunch. Funny how Mr. Starr went after Clinton for covering up a sexual affair but then he turned around and got fired as President of Baylor covering up a significant number of rapes on campus. First to admit you see it on both sides of the aisle but guess what Trump is your nominee MAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Only way Hillary wins.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cat's name is Родина, why you ask?"

There is major stroking of white persian cats going on tonight - naturally, in undisclosed locations.

This pleases our feline overlords!

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: "Cat's name is Родина, why you ask?"

Rodina? Nah. The cat's name is Sasha.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I question this. I read somewhere that Mrs. Clinton doesn't like cats.

1. Frenchie Lad

But Bill likes other pussies!

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"I read somewhere that Mrs. Clinton doesn't like cats."

is THAT why she barked like a dog?

3. JEDIDIAH
    Mushroom

You know the old cliche...

If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

Muwahahaha!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You know the old cliche...

>If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about

Which is why the GOP stuff won't see the light of day. Lot of it would move far beyond the just embarrassing realm.

4. a_yank_lurker

Real Problem?

Could the real reason the donkeys are getting hacked is that they badly botched their server security? There seems to be an overly quick assumption that Ivan's spooks must be doing this when it is quite possible a combination of donkey stupidity and moderately competent hackers did this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Real Problem?

What server security?

1. Mark 85

In their minds, it's the padlock on the door to the server room.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't know. Isn't IT security something that can be purchased with sufficient money? If their security was lax, it would have to be because the Dems are either really cheap, or thought they weren't doing anything embarrassing.

It would be better for them if they were just being cheap.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pretty much no one can defend against state level attacks. If Russia, China, Israel or the US and its five eyes partners decide to attack your server, they will get in.

Doesn't matter if you religiously patch, the constant flow of security patches for Windows and Linux, and their common web facing applications, demonstrate how impossible that is. Unless you are naive enough to think that they don't have a pile of 0 days at their disposal they can use for any potential scenario.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Headmaster

Unless you are naive enough to think that they don't have a pile of 0 days at their disposal they can use for any potential scenario.

I you must be on the Internet, then don't run any software flaky/complex enough to even have outstanding exploitable flaws, have IDS, mandatory access control, and VM your shit and put suicide traps on the frontline servers.

Unless the network stack or hardware has a backdoor, you will then be able to sleep soundly.

Of course, Hollywood has made it clear that "I'm in" will always happen but that is dubious at best. So far hacks have been via the social route and via cruddy software on the front running on rickety, barely maintained and badly configured hosts possibly running Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Fine, you keep living in your fantasy world and believing that taking measures like that will prevent hackers backed by major world powers from getting in.

Where is this mythical software that's not "flaky/complex enough to even have outstanding exploitable flaws"? There sure is not a single option for email servers that fit there. Maybe you can find some mail server without any exploits listed, but that's because no one uses it and thus no one is trying to break in, not because it is 100% secure.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
                Headmaster

Yes, yes, "I demand evidence of absence" etc.

> but that's because no one uses it and thus no one is trying to break in

Guess that's good enough then.

An e-mail server is not particularly complex and can be run in a very secure fashion (the SMTP protocol is arse for nowadays though). Postfix is pretty good.

Breaking in via e-mail servers? The 80's called and want their wormable exploits back.

2. art guerrilla

have no idea of what the actual factuals are in this instance, but seen enough large korporate/organization politics to know it ABSOLUTELY could have had its security downgraded SOLELY because some big wig wanted to connect their ______...

3. asdf

> If you must be on the Internet, then don't run any software flaky/complex enough to even have outstanding exploitable flaws, have IDS, mandatory access control, and VM your shit and put suicide traps on the frontline servers.

So basically provide no services. Those defense work well at making sure you are very high hanging fruit but are you willing to bet they hold up to billion dollars thrown at a very specific target? Good luck in any organization with thousands of people locking everything down. The Chinese getting all our applications for clearances is far far worse than this hack as well. Government in general is terrible at securing networks and this is proven when the US armed forces IT regulars get their asses handed to them by the reserves who usually have 8 to 5 jobs in the private sector.

1. Gravis Ultrasound

Yes, it's incredible that repeated hacks resulting in the loss of detailed information from 21 million federal(-related) personnel resulted only in a single resignation (the director).

2. DavCrav

"Could the real reason the donkeys are getting hacked is that they badly botched their server security? There seems to be an overly quick assumption that Ivan's spooks must be doing this when it is quite possible a combination of donkey stupidity and moderately competent hackers did this."

So people with first-hand knowledge of the attack are saying it's Russian, but you prefer the version in which people who have experience and knowledge are ignored because you have a gut feeling that you know better than the experts, sorry the 'so-called' experts?

Are you a Republican, by any chance?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Give it up, guy. This is a tech site and too many of us know how hard it is to ascertain the source of a web-based attack. Your appeal to authority is quite amusing tho, in light of who it's meant to defend. :-)

2. Vic

So people with first-hand knowledge of the attack are saying it's Russian

Yeah, but I've seen quite a few attacks where people with first-hand knowledge reckon it's the Russians. And to date, I've never seen a machine where I can confirm that...

Vic.

5. jgarry

Funniest would be

If there really was a Guccifer, and he got the tools by spearfishing the GRN "This is Putin, please give Guccifer access to hacking tools."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Funniest would be

"This is Putin, please give Guccifer access to hacking tools."

"B...but.. Sir! Can he be responsibly trusted with those?" (Begins to sweat profusely)

"Do it! It is our last chance" (Gendo Pose)

"A.. as you wish!" (Puts down the vertushka with a trembling hand and tries to regain composure.)

(And so Armageddon begins)

6. MatsSvensson

Oh, look.

All our emails about Sanders got deleted... oh noes...

Oh well, onwards and upwards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Five minutes later

"Oh no! All those emails that dish the dirt on Trump have been deleted!"

"Don't worry, we have another bach due tomorrow. Did you get that 20 big ones I asked for?"

And a similar conversation would no doubt be taking place between Trump staffers.

US Politics is a messy swamp of corruption and kickback. Remember 'Hanging Chads'?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Five minutes later

>All those emails that dish the dirt on Trump have been deleted!"

Who cares? As long as his twitter feed stays active the Dems don't need to do a thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So, Twitter is not the reason Don is pulling ahead of HRC in the polls?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
            Devil

"So, Twitter is not the reason Don is pulling ahead of HRC in the polls?"

HRC - that would be "Her Royal Clinton-ness" ??

somehow I suspect a) policy, b) trustworthiness, c) likeability all play a part

2. DavCrav

"So, Twitter is not the reason Don is pulling ahead of HRC in the polls?"

Ah, good old Republicans. It might not be actually, you know, true, but facts aren't all that important when you have rock-solid beliefs.

Clinton leads Trump by 6 points after Democratic confab: Reuters/Ipsos poll.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
              Facepalm

Ah, the polling. So interesting how it goes up and down, sometimes both at the same time! Also you are a bit behind the times. Bloomberg now has Hillary up by 12 points!

I guess it's starting to turn into a rout. Must have been all the love at the Democrat convention...

7. circuitguy

misdirection

all this is hacking story is really funny. how many years have hackers been stealing credit data from Target, Macys, banks,etc. Hillary claims she's leadership material in today's world of technology. So, with access to some of the best minds from wallstreet to Apple genius bar...haha... how can a smart organization get hack? Dems need a big villain to blame and refocus the attention away from their screw ups and this story line rings too close to disinformation effort and plus a little hint of inside job for a few dollars for local talent. Hillary screams that they are needing and are rising a billion plus for campaigning in news and social media. What hustler, thief or hacker would not be draw to this issue?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: misdirection

What local talent?

2. bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: misdirection

"So, with access to some of the best minds from wallstreet to Apple genius bar...haha... how can a smart organization get hack"

they went with their buddy Bill's solution: Windows server running Exchange, with Outlook mail clients. ok I'm guessing but I bet I guessed _RIGHT_ since THAT would be a 'worst case scenario' for any level of security.

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"the attacks are likely the work of a Russian-based group"

Sure. And the Sony hack was from North Korea.

Ah, Americans. Always blaming somebody far away for all their troubles. Because it absolutely couldn't be a home-grown group using a Russian-based VPN anonymizing service, oh noooo.

9. mIRCat
    Holmes

Too little, too...

"With the assistance of leading experts we have taken and are continuing to take steps to enhance the security of our network in the face of these recent events." - DCCC

All of the horses are gone? Somebody fetch me my bolt!

Securing what's already been take is the elementary part, my dear friends.

10. paularlen

Media blames "The Russians",more likely Anonymous.........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@paularlen

I doubt it was Anon as there was no DDoSing invoked!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who Hacked the DNC?

What’s striking is that for all this subjective “analysis” and cyber-sleuthing, no one is pointing to what should be the first suspicion in such a case: that the hacking of the DNC server was an inside job. Is it all that improbable that someone working for the DNC is a supporter of Bernie Sanders – or just someone who believes in elemental fairness – who saw how the DNC was rigging the game and used their access to supply WikiLeaks with the emails? As WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange told “Democracy Now” in an interview, “If we’re talking about the DNC, there’s lots of consultants, lots of programmers” with means, motive, and opportunity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have opined that the timing of the release casts suspicion on the Berniacs. And as you say, it's not so hard to imagine one of them being inside the DNC or knowing someone who is. But an internal leak would be even more embarrassing than a Russian hack.

Thus Putin gets fingered and Trump with him.

It solves the big problem: Diverting attention away from the DNC scandal. It also hurts Trump at the same time. What's not to love?

Well, setting up Trump to goof on Russia having Hillary's missing emails wasn't a great start to convention week, and the righteously pissed Bernie delegates carried on where Trump left off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow, that article you linked to is great! I am extremely jealous.

12. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

New Developments

I'm waiting for the first diagnosis that, indeed, you can contract a lethal social disease from just reading these Pols emails. It starts in the optical regional and invades the cerebral cortex leaving you incoherent and unable to accept bribes. In D.C. that's completely debilitating and a reason to file for workman's compensation.....

13. SeymourHolz

WEW LAD

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like