back to article Huawei P9 Plus: Leica-toting flagship gets a big brother

The P9 Plus deserves to be Huawei’s real flagship of 2016, and given the price tag, it’s a belter. Like the iPhone Plus, it feels like a very different beast to its smaller sibling. In a nutshell, you can save a small fortune by opting for the P9 Plus over an iPhone or Samsung’s Galaxy S7, but you’ll miss out on the latter’s …

1. JetSetJim

Weighing stuff..

Interesting idea - can't help but wonder if it was inspired by the April fools iOS upgrade notice stating that iPads could now function as scales - trying to tempt people to stand on them

1. BillG
      Headmaster

Re: Weighing stuff..

"But now the fuss has subsidised,..."

Shouldn't that be "But now the fuss has subsided,..."?

or where does one go to apply for a grant to subsidise fuss?

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

Quick Hack

Develop an app to "calibrate" the scales - yes mate, that's a full ounce of Bolivian marching powder.

3. handle

Barelling

"barrelling, for which there is no magic cure in a 7mm thin device"

Do you mean barrel distortion? There's an easy cure: reverse the distortion in software. Of course this results in non-uniform resolution, but is a technique much larger cameras employ.

PS I think you mean 64/128GB of flash memory, not RAM.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Barelling

It isn't that easy to reverse severe barrel distortion in software as you have to throw away part of the image, and pixel separation is reduced. Big cameras do indeed apply it - the lens communicates the distortion to the body - but the amount of distortion involved is fairly small for any decent camera. There's a big difference between correcting about 0.5% of distortion, and more like 5-10%.

The real fix would be interesting but expensive and involves having the sensor itself curved in three dimensions, with nonlinear pixels. The way economies of scale are affecting the industry, I wouldn't be surprised if it comes eventually.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes and no. True you loses data and so on, but given the total pixel count of most sensors is way above what is needed for an acceptable image, simply discarding 5% of the edge is fine as long as that is what you see when taking it (i.e. subject framing is correct).

1. handle

@Paul Crawford: I agree, especially as you can still market your camera as having the same number of pixels, and that big number is the only thing that matters anyway...

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6229436014/sony-s-curved-sensors-may-allow-for-simpler-lenses-and-better-images

4. muttley

EMUI Schemui

I have just bought one of these.

Google launcher is your friend - or Nova premium.

Huawei released Android N rom out for beta test, splendid.

Did I mention it's a fantastic bit of kit?

5. 404

'As to the software experience'

Just stop saying/typing/thinking that.

With all the emotional scarring that has occurred over Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, with Microsoft turning a relatively decent OS into Malware_As_A_Service, the reading/speaking of 'experiences' of any sort concerning Windows IT makes my eyes bleed.

You keep your damn 'user experiences' to yourself and I won't yell 'Bingo' at the next fucking marketing meeting. Fair?

On topic: The LG G5 just got a vanillaish Marshmallow launcher w/app drawer back on the latest system update - I'm staying with the original, grown used to it and it works pretty good imo.

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Twin lenses?

Odd, it looks as if it could be used for stereo images, but why so close together? Had they been at opposite corners that would work reasonably well. And if simply combining it, it seems unlikely to be better than other camera phones in the past (e.g. some of the Nokia/Lumina ones) judging by the images shown.

Still, a good article overall.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: Twin lenses?

Iirc, one lens/sensor combo is monochrome only. Software uses that image to improve contrast/detail taken from the main lens. Not for stereoscopy.

Rumoured an iPhone 7 Pro will have a similar setup.

7. Tommy Pock

There's nothing wrong with the UI - it gets out of the way unlike the unholy mess of the standard Android UI.

8. gsc2000

Nice phone, cannot fault screen quality, battery life, speed, reliability and overall quality. However don't expect any updates from Huawei because they are shockingly appalling in making updates available. It's 1/2 way through 2017, Oreo has been announced yet Nougat is not available for UK users at all. The Hisuite application for UK users does not show any updates, it's not downloadable from their website although ironically a rollback package is ! There's been no announcements for uk users but huawei support insist it's being rolled out in the uk and you're one of the few who doesn't have the update. Maybe they think the public are droids and robots who will accept any old trashy statement but it's plainly obvious on twitter and facebook it just hasn't been rolled out in the UK. So great phone but bad support with zero updates from Huawei.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like