back to article Encyclopedia Dramatica user hit with £10k damages after calling ex-councillor a 'paedo'

A user of satirical wiki Encyclopedia Dramatica has been hit with libel damages of £10,000 in England, UK, after posting untrue accusations of paedophilia and mocked-up sex photos featuring a former Labour councillor on the site. The case, heard earlier this month in London's High Court, was brought by Samuel Collingwood Smith …

1. myhandler

Eh.. it says it's a satirical wiki - I 've never heard of it before this.

It's not the well known Wikipaedia

If he's dablling in the arse end of the internet he shouldn't expect much.. and why on earth is a councillor going to sites like this anyway?

1. Triggerfish

It's not that hard to find, and if you want to get some idea of things like anonymous or 4chan it's probably a better reference source than wikipedia.

I don't get why it's seems to be that bad to read it, occasionally it can be funny often it's juvenile, it's not something thats worth judging someone on though for reading, unless you have almost prudishly high moral standards.

2. foxyshadis

If it's indexed by Google, then you don't have to have heard of it or dabble in it to end up harmed by it.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Windows

"Encyclopedia Dramatica is one of the more amusingly offensive destinations on the web."

Encyclopedia Dramatica is one of the more amusingly offensive destinations on the web.

Is it? I haven;t been there in years. It used to be good, but the site was overrun with brain-dead morons who kept replacing decent and witty satire with low-level toilet-stall graffiti.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: "Encyclopedia Dramatica is one of the more amusingly offensive destinations on the web."

To be fair, the last time I really looked at ED was when I was about 13. Then I discovered girls, alcohol, the outside world...

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
        Windows

Re: "Encyclopedia Dramatica is one of the more amusingly offensive destinations on the web."

To be fair, the last time I really looked at ED was when I was about 13. Then I discovered girls, alcohol, the outside world...

I've heard of people doing that... Could you tell me how?

FAIL

Apologies.

I was getting mixed up with Uncyclopedia but it wouldn't surprise me if ED met the same fate.

3. Old Englishman

I wonder who is paying the legal bills for this Labour councillor - isn't it odd how chippy the tribunes of the plebs are? - to pursue his online vendetta. I'm not sure whether I am sympathetic or not; the slanders are horrible, but I'd rather not have online censorship. And surely it's rather risky for this bloke to try all this against someone who might, for all he knows, be inclined to violence.

1. Triggerfish

Well hard to tell, if he is earning under a certain amount then he could apply for legal aid, more than likely though being an ex-councillor I'd take a guess he is paying for his own solicitors.

2. Cynic_999

"

slanders are horrible, but I'd rather not have online censorship

"

The two are completely separate issues. Freedom of speech does not mean that you can say what you like with no legal (or other) consequences, and being forced by a court to remove damaging and untrue information is not censorship in the way the word is usually used.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'd rather not have online censorship"

I don't think you understand what censorship is.

4. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge
    Headmaster

Sigh..

That's Judgment with a capital, not judgement without and an unnecessary e.

llud, iudicium capitis, iudicium sine supervacuis et e

Now write it out a hundred times or i'll cut your balls off...

5. Stevie

Bah!

Satire should be at least intelligent, and have some sort of lesson in it. See: The Onion.

The lesson here is "Give some people a free and anonymous platform and they will behave like dicks."

And we already knew that.

So the question posed now is "does this so-called satirical website have any worth that justifies its contribution to environmental heat fallout?"

If this sort of "material" is indicative of the general content, the obvious answer would not seem to be encouraging.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

@Stevie; "Give some people a free and anonymous platform and they will behave like dicks."

Basically just John Gabriel's Greater Internet F***wad Theory, then?

6. Matthew 3

Worth a punt on definitions?

Since the word 'paedo' literally means 'child' there must surely be a legal defence to that angle?

Without the addition of the suffix '-phile' it could be argued that the only criticism here is an accusation of immaturity.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Worth a punt on definitions?

That won't wash.

2. Cynic_999

Nope - it has long been established that for the purpose of determining whether an article is or is not defamatory, its meaning is determined by what the average person on the Clapham omnibus would take it to mean regardless of its literal meaning.

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

para 4 and 5 and you all thought Judges were stuffy old buffers.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/decided-cases/docs/UKSC_2013_0108_Judgment.pdf

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just been on for a reconnoitre

there's a lot of gifs and the contributers don't seem to like anything or anyone.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

Re: Just been on for a reconnoitre

"there's a lot of gifs and the contributers don't seem to like anything or anyone."

It's been like that forever, I think (though I think they were shut down a while back, then re-started 'under new management' ???). I went there once or twice (or maybe a few more times) for a laugh, but not for YEARS. I first heard of it when someone prominent on IRC said "hey I have an article about me on E.D." and it was both scathing and cruel.

So now someone does a libel lawsuit, no doubt some kind of judge's order to locate the various anonymized people, which gives legal searches and seizure the teeth they need, and makes a point to the 'anonymous' ranters on E.D.: You are NOT 'anonymous' any more.

And, I'd say that about sums it all up. I doubt the plaintiff will EVER get his judgement paid, and the people who did it may not even be within jurisdiction of the U.K.. They didn't bother showing up to the trial, and got a summary judgement against them. And now, if it's like it is in the USA, *all* of that is a matter of public record now, so anybody wanting the info could find out the REAL names of the defendants.

That may be 'enough retribution' in and of itself.

8. Vordrak

I am Sam Smith and I don't need a solicitor

Hi,

I am the subject of this article and I have just passed my LPC (solicitor's certificate). I also have 5 years experience as a McKenzie Friend assisting in court cases.

http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=3925

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am Sam Smith and I don't need a solicitor

any chance of you suing yourself for mangling that Bond theme?

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

FWIW - my lawyer used to say that any lawyer who represents himself in court has an idiot as his client. Better call Saul ...

3. <shakes head>

how did you even find out about it, are you googleing yourself, or is this a normal destination on the web for you?

serious question as I have no idea if anyone has ever said anything about me on line apart from Facebook, which seems to tell me that they have.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

There is a fine line between satire and defamation

See title.

Much like the lost art of decorum and discretion, most people have no clue when too much is too much. Our modern social media of rewarding outrageous, stupid, jackass, acts doesn't help.

You know, like "Ouch My Balls!" (ref: Idiocracy)

In other words, you can get away with almost anything if you are clever about it. You don't need a sledge hammer when a gentle shove will do the job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There is a fine line between satire and defamation

I'll see your title and raise it...

Context..

Apropos the subject of the article, having spent a couple of idle 'insomniacal' hours followed 'the maze of twisty little passages' we're not talking about submissions to the (New Yorker|Private Eye|whatever) here, but the Internet equivalent of the scribblings in green 'Sharpie'™ found on toilet walls.

I'll also now like to mutter 'Streisand effect', TGTN and bid you all adieu...

Windows

Re: There is a fine line between satire and defamation

Agreed.

Have you seen some of the so-called 'pranks' on youtube. Sigh.. They seem to think filming them makes them funny and OK.

Here's a hint for them: If you do something nobbish to someone, it is still just as nobbish if it's being recorded. The only difference is that you're now not just a nob, but are a nob with a camera.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon