back to article Exclusive transcript: WikiLeaks reveals ass call from a zoo

WikiLeaks has started to promote a subset of the documents retrieved from the Democratic National Convention (DNC) as “The DNC recordings”, offering the world 29 MP3 files retrieved from the DNC voice mail system. The Register's crack forensics team can reveal that one of the voice mails may be what experts refer to as “an ass …

1. Baldy50

Easy to do

Phoned friend once by accident, when phoned me later, said "well your morning was fun at work today". Gave up shouting down it and just listened till the battery died, who would do that? Not end the call.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy to do

Butt-dialling voyeurism. Some people like to watch, others like to listen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy to do

I once butt-dialed someone whilst I was engaging in coitus with a lady friend.

I'd like to make a boast & say "My battery died" too, but this was in the days of the Nokia 3210, not even I have that type of stamina.

2. Teiwaz

Transcript 'sort of' reminded me of a cartoon in a book of 'classic British Seaside postcards' in which the dialogue reads 'Mummy, Mummy, Daddy must have swallowed an elephant, 'cause I can see its trunk sticking out.'

When I read 'ass call' and 'from a zoo' I was expecting harassment calls from the narrower end of the US gene pool.

3. Amias

Access is access

The point is to have the same access as the media to this data so as not to give them the ability to censor other details.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Access is access

Damn that globalised, state-controlled, corrupt media! We don't even know if it was an African or Indian elephant!

Even El Reg are part of this global pachyderm conspiracy!

4. Bernard M. Orwell
    Coat

It's unusual...

...in politics, to talk about the elephant in the room.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh yes, such a great benefit to the world at large

Methinks that is a classic example of Wikileaks lack of filtering: what the f*ck does this have to do with improving transparency and exposing bad things that happen?

Instead, WL is playing politics. Badly. Heck, this doesn't even do anything for The Great Leader Who Sought To ™ His Name..

6. Sleep deprived
    Holmes

"Pocket call" is more factual

Unless your cell phone is buried deeper.

1. Mike VandeVelde
      Boffin

Re: "Pocket call" is more factual

commonly referred to as "butt dialed" round these parts

7. User McUser

what's known in law enforcement circles as an “ass call”.

In the States this is colloquially known as a "butt dial."

1. Pliny the Whiner

"[w]hat's known in law enforcement circles as an 'ass call.'"

"In the States this is colloquially known as a 'butt dial.'"

Thus reflecting the more genteel and proper sensibilities of us Colonists.

Wouldn't the recipient of such a call play for the caller a looping mp3 of a loud fart? Allow me to answer that: I would.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is a pocket/butt dial possible anymore?

It can't happen with touchscreen phones, unless you are in the habit of putting them in your pocket without locking the screen first. Even then, unless you have thin pockets and a phone that accepts touches through that thin material, you'd have to have your hand in the pocket to make this happen.

1. Sleep deprived

Re: How is a pocket/butt dial possible anymore?

A friend with a small Android smartphone normally locked with a scheme left me a 7' message of surrounding noise the other day. She had used the phone and put it back in her pocking without first turning it off (and thus lock it). Oddly, I wasn't even on her list of recently called/texted numbers. And this is not the first time it happens to her. Go figure.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ass Call != Booty Call

No hookers involved. So disappointing.

10. FredBloggs61

Years ago when phones were the size of house bricks (wait a minute we are getting back there) a mate was visiting his brother when his lad was playing with the new phone thingy dad had. I answered the call to hear him shouting at his lad to put it down. Then followed about an hour and a half of me being unable to disconnect the call, hanging up at my end made no difference. I had to wait until he had driven home so I could call his landline on my mobile to tell him to hang up. I forget how much that call cost him but it weren't cheap

11. got handle?

Truth is truth and the evidence is in the emails is good enough for me. Although Hillary was not involved directly in the exchange of internal party communication.. ...the consequence of such tragic events will impact ratings however small or in-significaant it may be. Edward Snowden should not deviate from sticking toward the goal of making disclosures public without redact of documents and specially when such exposures are for every one to see and therefore public has the right to know the misbehavior.

Julian Assange shines.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like