back to article Citrix's GoTo goes to LogMeIn in $2bn merger

LogMeIn has effectively taken over Citrix's unwanted GoTo business. The merger comes after Citrix axed 1,000 staffers in November and threatened to spin off GoTo. The gobble is worth $1.8bn in shares, and effectively puts remote desktop developer LogMeIn in charge of GoTo, Citrix's remote access and conferencing family. …

1. goldcd

Fuck

I'd ignorantly assumed Lastpass was some hip-idealistic startup.

*prepares to bend over and spread*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Logmein my arse

Hacked. Ditch it.

3. Magani
    Happy

LastPass and LogMeIn

I was a LastPass user for ages before LogMeIn absorbed them. Given LogMeIn's previous track record, I was awaiting a catastrophe and was prepared to ditch LastPass, but so far <touches wood>, they have left LastPass reasonably much alone.

One has to say one is surprised and hopes it continues.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: LastPass and LogMeIn

likewise. beyond a new logo exercise, not much has changed at LastPass since LogMeIn bought them - let's hope it stays that way

1. Bronek Kozicki
        Paris Hilton

I am looking to migrate away from lastpass but there is dearth of suitable candidates. Must support at least one browser plugin on Linux (firefox or chromium), must support client on Android which works without Google Play (so I can use it on my blackberry - native BB10 support would be even better) and must support self-hosted cloud storage so I no longer have to trust a third party. It appears most candidates 1) are hosted by vendor only or 2) do not support the front ends I need. Ideas?

1. Rimpel

Did you try keepass as it seems to fit your criteria?. It runs on unix (under wine), integrates with firefox and chrome (using keefox and chromeipass respectively), supports any cloud storage as it is just an encrypted database file, it does have a BB10 app and KeePassDroid is on the amazon app store.

2. fidodogbreath

I've gotten Sticky Password to install, run and sync on Linux Mint 17 with the current WINE version (but not the version in the repository, IIRC). I haven't yet gotten the browser plugins to work, though.

The Android version works reasonably well; not perfectly, but comparable to LastPass for Android.

You do not have to use their cloud sync.

4. jemmyww
    FAIL

GotoAssist

I was one of those laid off, although everyone on my team was given the option to relocate from Copenhagen to Karlsruhe instead of losing their position. Not one of us took that offer. Citrix provides good case studies on how to take passionate teams and knock all the enthusiasm out of them bit by bit.

This is my opinion, and it might be wrong: I don't think the Citrix Goto division was actually capable of building any products by themselves, despite having some quite capable engineers and a desperate need, and good market opportunities, and customer's crying out for new tools. We were never allowed to run with anything, ever, without management changes on a 3-6 month basis. Every product they had was an outside purchase.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: GotoAssist

I don't know why, but this pattern feel familiar, must have seen it in books or what ... basically employ good recruitment for developers, but somehow end up with management which does not trust the developers to actually design and deliver any product. Eventually developers are fed up with not being allowed to actually deliver anything and leave, but the recruitment finds suitable replacement and the cycle continues, until the company runs out of money.

5. psychonaut

for crying out loud

we arent even allowed to say see you next tuesday anymore.

1. psychonaut

Re: for crying out loud

i see you are allowed to say fuck though.

6. Terafirma-NZ

and people say the Dell-EMC merger has product overlap.

7. AlexendraDill

Congratulations to Logmein for taking over Citrix GoTo business. Alternatively, one may have a look at on premise web conferencing and remote support solutions like R-HUB web conferencing and remote support servers. It provides 6 real time collaboration applications in one box.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like