back to article Twitter: $602m into -$107m

Twitter staved its losses, grew sales, increased its number of users – and still its stock has tanked today. Nothing is working. The microblogging website reported on Tuesday its financial figures for its second quarter of 2016, and – yup – it's another profit-free three months: it recorded a $107m loss, which is better than …

1. J. R. Hartley

The best thing about Twitter...

Was in The Viz:

"Fireman Fritter - He's got Twitter up his shitter"

How we laughed.

1. Jon B

Re: The best thing about Twitter...

Still amazed that revenue is as high as $602m. And how do they mange to spend that much money, with so few staff, to manage to make a loss?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: The best thing about Twitter...

Twitter employs 3,900 staff and is based in San Francisco (a 10 min walk from our office). $700m divided by 3900 is $179,487 per head per quarter, which if you factor in server costs and other expenses isn't too crazy.

Sure, not everyone at Twitter works in SF, I appreciate that. Basically my point is, it employs 3,900 highly paid people who burn through cash like it doesn't really matter.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

3900 staff?! That's 1 to change the light bulb

... And 3899 to tweet about it

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, apparently it doesn't matter...

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Server costs really shouldn't be that high but office rental is crazy in SF.

But I think one of the main costs is related to equity given to staff.

I think I'm right in that this quarter doesn't include any of their expensive streaming deals which could make current losses look like chicken feed. Or they could work out and Twitter could break even.

2. mIRCat
    Trollface

Where's the PR staff to paint this as a good thing?

If their revenues continue to fall they'll be able to report them within the 140 character limit.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Where's the PR staff to paint this as a good thing?

Would be nice but revenues continue to increase…

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Remind me again

What is it they offer of use, utility or problems solved?

Re: Remind me again

They stroke and massage people's vanity.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Ah yes. But that's usually a sure fire money maker. What are they doing wrong I wonder?

Ah yes. But that's usually a sure fire money maker. What are they doing wrong I wonder?

They forgot to charge.

I hope Twitter ends up as the poster child for the limits of the network effect. Even with ten times the users I think it would struggle with its current business model which is why it's thrashing around to come up with new ones: like live sports that aren't exclusive.

As much as I hate Facebook, I think it's obvious that Zuckerberg and his team realise that there isn't a huge amount of money in just looking over people's shoulders while they rant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon