back to article Oz regulator eyes broadband marketing

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) is setting its sights on broadband speed claims, again. It's almost a perennial: providers who used to routinely use 24 Mbps to spruik ADSL2+ services that mostly limp along at under 10 Mbps have been jumped on before. Now, as the ACCC's chairman Rod Sims says, “ …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

A coworker of mine recently fielded a call from a well-known FTTN network owner, whose FTTN connection speed is both distance dependent (being a DSL) and capped at less than 100 Mb/s. The salesdroid claimed that its service would be faster than the (100 Mb/s FTTP) NBN connection to which they were already connected.

2. julian.smith

Australia ..... you're lucky you even have Internet!

Crap service .... high prices

Welcome to the third world of Turnbull's botched NBN

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Australia ..... you're lucky you even have Internet!

Crap service .... high prices

Welcome to the third world of Turnbull's botched NBN

Speaking as someone who took up the NBN when it was still the ALP NBN Plan; welcome to the real world. Prior to the NBN I had a constant 1.5 Mb/s and unlimited downloads -- effectively better than 500 GB per month. On FW NBN I have 50 GB at 10 Mb/s (supposedly 12 Mb/s) and once over the cap get shaped to 256 kb/s, so most of the month streaming video is impossible. On a monthly basis, average speed is way lower and it's less reliable than ADSL was. On Monday I had to resort to mobile wireless for 12 hours.

3. John Tserkezis

"Consumers need accurate information about broadband speed and performance"

Wouldn't that contrast with the ISPs wanting to attract business?

Truth in advertising would pretty much kill their sales wouldn't it?

Just sayin'.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Unhappy

"limp along at under 10 Mbps"

Oh how I wish I could even get 5 Mbps!

Oh how I tire of constant buffering and also...

....... loading.................

5. Paul J Turner

As I said last year

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/11/09/nbn_mulls_capacity_charge_revamp/#c_2692854

The only thing that needs to happen is that when talking about the bandwidth we pay for, the words "up to" are replaced by law with the words "at least". When the law ensures that we all get what we pay for then Telco's will finally put in place an infrastructure that can actually deliver it

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like