back to article UK to get 60GB Xbox 360 on Friday

Microsoft has confirmed that its much hyped 60GB Xbox 360 will be available in the UK on 15th August for £200 (€255/$400). That’s this coming Friday, folks. Neil Thompson, senior regional director for Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division, said: “Now the Xbox 360 has triple the space to house all your entertainment …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately...

It still has "Falcon" internals, which are still prone to failure...

I'm was going to wait for Jasper chipset, which should in theory fix the 360's overheating problems, but I gave up waiting and got a PS3 instead.

A company the size of Microsoft should not be still shipping faulty 360's 2 1/2 years in, when the competition can launch their products and be reliable from the outset..

Have Microsoft lost the edge? I think so....

Opera > Firefox > IE

Apache > IIS

MacOS > Windows

PS3 > 360 > Wii

Google > MSN Search

2. pimlicosound

You're forgetting...

Microsoft Profits > World

3. Mark Manderson
    Thumb Up

Is it me or....?

Asda online have the premium 120gb with hdmi port for £199 (1 wireless controller etc) (instore also)

and the Arcade for £148

Ill nab a 120 premium before a 60gbr for £200!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Is it me or....?

OR get a proper console for £70 more, with Blu-ray. Or wait a couple of weeks, and get a proper console for £89 more, with Blu-ray, 80GB HDD space and Dualshock 3.

It's clear to me, the 360 is now showing it's age, and the cracks are starting to appear. Of course Microsoft will paper them over with a new interface and hacks like installing games to the harddrive (something that when PS3 did it was appeantly uncool) to get around the slow load times and storeage limits of DVD.

5. John

Re: Unfortunately

"Opera > Firefox > IE" - subjective - IE may have its faults, but it is still by far and away the world's most popular internet browser and, from my experience, while it may not be standards compliant in its current incarnation, its position as number 1 means that almost all websites are bug-tested for, optimised for, and work properly with IE's non-standard implementation of HTML than with FF's or Opera's standard implementation.

"Apache > IIS" - okay, you can have that one. Apache is the undisputed leader, thanks in no small part to its multiplatform availability

"MacOS > Windows" - let's see, which has vastly greater software choice, hardware and driver support? Which isn't restricted to running on massively overpriced (if beautifully designed) hardware?

"PS3 > 360 > Wii" - I think there's an awful lot of Wii owners who might dispute that. If we're talking purely about the computing power of the hardware, then obviously the Wii is inferior and the PS3 is king (as you'd expect from the console which was last to market and carries the highest price tag), but then the Wii has been the runaway commercial success and has some fantastic titles available for it. X360 has a world leading online service.

"Google > MSN Search" - Live Search is actually a pleasantly surprising experience if you haven't used it for a while (i.e. since it was dire). I don't think there is much to choose between them in terms of quality of search results these days

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC

It was obvious from the start that you were a fanboi retard but then you came out with this little gem

"PS3 > 360 > Wii"

Now Im happy to admit the Wii is a niche console (I had one myself but sold it) but how can you say its owned by both the PS3 and 360 when it sells more than both of them put together?

How about you die of famine

PS - I found the AC button too!

7. Iain

@Mark Manderson

If Asda have the Elite (the 120GB version) for the same price as a Premium, then yes - the only reason to get a Premium is that you really, really want a white one. But that's a special offer price, rather than a new RRP.

Re: HDMI ports, though, all the 360s on shelves now should have them, irrespective of whether it's an Arcade, Premium or Elite. The only difference is that the Elite comes with a cable in the box instead of you having to spend a tenner on one.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Fantastic...

I can install a whole 3 Multi-DVD games on this puppy before I run out of room, and have to queue up at Microsoft to be reamed for more money...

9. Eponymous Cowherd
    Thumb Up

Niche Wii?

@AC

***"Now Im happy to admit the Wii is a niche console..."***

Actually its probably the other way round. The other consoles are fighting over a 'niche' market (so called "serious" gamers), the Wii is aimed at a much wider audience, which explains *why* it outsells the other two put together. It isn't fighting for the same punters.

Though, when you play MP3, you wonder why all FPS games aren't made this way.

10. Rog69

Tiny Hard Drives

Am I supposed to to get excited about a 60GB HD, why not add a 500GB or a 750GB? Where do MS even find these tiny drives from.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re: Tiny Hard Drives

It's pretty crappy. I have a 500GB monster in my PS3. The best bit, is it's a standard 2.5in SATA drive, and fitting it does not affect my warranty, infact, the handbook even showed me how to swap it...

Now that the 360 is struggling, and has to install games to a HDD, a 60GB unit (with only 50GB of usable space), can install like 6 games at most.. The installs take HOURS... (check Gizmodo for details). Hillarious... What a pile of junk...

12. M
    Boffin

@Rog69 & AC

I totally agree! Where do MS get these beadle hand hard drives?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like