back to article IETF boffins design a DNS for crypto-currencies

Digital currency engineers are working on a domain name system (DNS)-style protocol to enable money to be shared across different networks. The idea of digital currency – and particularly blockchains – has taken off in recent years, but there remain a number of competing networks that are unable to talk to one another: the …

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

Thanks to BBC Radio 4 this morning...

I now understand why governments and banks are so keen on digital currency. When interest rates go negative, sensible people will keep their money as cash under the mattress/<name your favourite hiding place>. If money becomes entirely digital, alternatives such as gold under the mattress will be used but don't have a fixed relationship with money.

iPlayer: BBC Radio 4 Thursday the 21st of July: "How Low Can Rates Go?"

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

My mis-read of the day: "Boffins design DNA for digital monkey." I need a couple fo days off.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

At last! Now I can have my robot monkey butler!

2. Fatman

RE: My mis-read of the day:

Nah!!!

You just need more caffeine!!!!!

3. Ole Juul

ideas?

So what other communications could this protocol be used for?

4. Panicnow

Address and track everything!

Ford.corsa.AK66DFT could carry every part used, service history....

Or indeed UK.Male.445567891 .....

5. Charles 9

I don't know if I'd be too keen on the concept becoming a reality as of yet, but I would love to at least see the conversation that ensues, to see just what issues and pitfalls could be involved in such a system. I think the biggest issue here is that of trust, but that touches on an issue that affects civilization itself: you NEED a minimum level of trust for civilization to function at all; otherwise it's DTA mode which inevitably leads to anarchy. It's, as they say, an extremely thorny issue which is exactly why I want to see an extended conversation on it. Get everything out in the open.

6. PyLETS

you NEED a minimum level of trust for civilization to function at all

Indeed, and the way I read this effort, it doesn't attempt to do away with trust. It does seem to compartmentalise the trust needed for transactions to occur in a _relatively_ straightforward and standardisable way - probably mirroring the way trust operates within the current banking system (and sometimes fails). Whether having a simpler and more universally implementable protocol will provide useful competition to Visa, the 8 digit account number and 6 digit sort code identified bank transfers and IBAN number routed international payments and whatever remains to be seen. Having a simpler standardised protocol doesn't prevent SMTP email being dominated by a few webmail providers for example. It also potentially applies to currency exchanges and recording who owns which bonds and shares etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like