back to article Kaminario flashes service guarantees

Kaminario, the all flash storage array vendor, has come up with six individual guarantees - assurances - that build on its original 2013 Perfomance Consistency Guarantee programme. Basically, Kaminario says you're safer buying K2 arrays in performance and maintenance cost terms than other arrays. These kinds of flash array …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Copy-nario

I wonder when Kaminario will come up with something unique, rather than copy what everyone else is doing? They're beginning to look like a Korean car manufacturer.

Korean-ario :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Copy-nario

Curious to know who Kaminario copied. I'm about to make a large Kaminario purchase and have yet to find anyone else that offers this type of guarantee.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

(disclaimer - Pure reseller)

http://www.purestorage.com/why-pure/evergreen-storage.html

By the way, I love this line: "additional support at no additional cost" - you mean if you wanted "additional" support it would ordinarily be a cost???

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the info, We started this project to move to all flash about 5 months ago and at the time Pure did not offer a guaranteed capacity and Kaminario did. We looked at Pure very hard but they were the first to go in the decision making process. Evergreen is way to complex and has way to many loop holes in the contract. Don't get me wrong Pure is a good product but they can not offer non disruptive upgrades.. What am I suppose to start pulling controllers out and replacing them with new ones to get better performance? to disruptive. Pure Storage Architecture is very limited and what I mean by that is it only scales up. Kaminario can scale up and scale out, making it non disruptive to add performance as well as non disruptive for additional capacity.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

disclaimer - Nimble partner

Before you pull the trigger on Copy-nario, you should check out Nimble AFA. scale up, out and deep, performance driven from CPU not SSDs, rock solid performance, 6x9 availability and the best software set in the industry. Plus the amazing Infosight.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

(disclaimer - I consult for, work with and sell multiple storage brands)

There are multiple vendors who ofer something similar. It's all marketing, basically.

EMC - $1M storage guarantee

Dell - future ready performance guarantee

NetApp - virtualization and 3X guarantee

HP 3PAR - get thinner guarantee

Pure, Nimble etc. all have variants of this.

Talk to their sales people and they will explain what is covered.

Effectively, it comes down to price/TB. The vendors should be able to deliver performance at a price per TB for specific application sets. measure in USABLE TB, not raw, although raw measurements make more sense on data types that don't readily dedupe. You will want a storage array that offers compression algorithms for those types of data (eg SQL, Oracle database datasets).

The best manufacturers have tools that will analyse your data and prescribe the solution that best fits. Companies like Kaminario and Pure are more narrow in their offerings and may not necessarily be an ideal fit.

But most importantly, get off the acquisition price and look at the total cost of operation - how much over 5 years. 3 isn't sufficient as you need to take into account at least one cycle change of controllers, processors and a significant storage upgrade.

the other things to consider are:

- autmoation - how much hand holding will it require for the overall functionality?

- how well does it integrate with Vmware / HyperV ?

- what is their support like? is it world class, respectable or do they just say it is? what does that mean?

- what other value added functionality do they have - remote replication, mirroring, scalability, snapshotting, data migration tools?

- how integrated are they with key applications - can they provide white papers, best practices or validated architectures to explain how popular apps should be laid out and be expected to perform?

Hope this helps.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Kaminario has been offering capacity guarantees for several years now. This isn't a new program for them, although the performance and availability guarantees in writing are new.

Also, not sure why copying another mfgs good program for the customer would be a bad idea.. if they didn't do it, then you would bitch about them not offering guarantees.

Also, they are basing their guarantees off effective usable capacity and pricing their arrays @ 1-2$ / effective GB based off that,--I think you aren't understanding what they are offering.

2. KaminarioFlash

Thanks all for your comments

Copy-nario. THAT IS AWESOME!

First, thanks to you, our customer for sharing your positive experience on Kaminario’s scalability model. That really means a lot to us.

As for the comment about ‘copying’ – Kaminario launched its guaranteed effective capacity in 2014: http://ow.ly/r4yj302ukYd. Pure just launched their Right Size Guarantee last month: http://ow.ly/bz6Y302ul2Z

Sooo … who is copying who?

On the comment that this, “…is all marketing, basically.” You are right! But, we are able to market this kind of a program because our all-flash technology and business model supports it. It delivers real, easily quantifiable value to our customers.

Finally, the “Korean car manufacturer” comment – that was uncalled for. We just opened an office in Korea and our colleagues are doing a ‘kick-ass’ job there. We love Korea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon