back to article Juno's 1,300-pic Jupiter vid

NASA's Juno probe has uploaded 1,300 images captured during its approach to Jupiter. And NASA has assembled them into the video below. If you have three minutes to spare, you'll catch glimpses of the Jovian moons Io; Europa, Ganymede and Callisto. And of course there are some lovely views of Jupiter itself. Youtube Video The …

1. ratfox

That video would be so boring without the music

Seriously, I was a bit underwhelmed. Jupiter is so small on these images, you can't even see the big red spot.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: That video would be so boring without the music

I'd kinda hoped it might have closed in a bit further.

2. A K Stiles
      Megaphone

Just about my first thought when it started was "Oh <deity>! Not another video with excessively stirring orchestral overload!". Don't get me wrong - I think the actual science and engineering bit is incredible and a time-lapse video of Jupiter and moons in orbit is amazing, but just maybe tone down the "heavenly hosts" anthems?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To my ear the opening title gives an indication that the music is a homage to "I was born under a wanderin' star". As made famous by Lee Marvin's hit rendition in the film version of "Paint Your Wagon". A film notable for his equally unlikely co-star of Clint Eastwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbiRDNaDeo

2. TitterYeNot

"but just maybe tone down the "heavenly hosts" anthems?"

Yes for a moment I thought it was going to break into the theme from 'Chariots of Fire' and cut to a shot of dashing young chaps in 1920's attire jogging along a beach in slow motion.

Then I understood why - according to the credits the background music to the video is also by Vangelis.

3. Tom 7

I always turn the sound off. Space never ever sound like that.

2. Alistair
    Windows

Juno approaches Jupiter

interesting jitter in the object on top right. I suppose there were adjustments to be made to main body of the images in order to assemble them.

/agree -> thought they would have taken it much closer than this -- but then the bandwidth issue strikes <says the guy migrating data off tapes....>

Music? *shrug* - its Vangelis. I'll listen to it. Pretty much any time.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  4. P0l0nium

What a waste !!!

2.5 Gigabytes of download and storage yields a view of Jupiter no better than you can get from your back lawn with a 6 inch reflector.

Sponsored by Cisco, Intel and Seagate ???

1. Tom 7

Re: What a waste !!!

Just wait you troll!

1. P0l0nium

Wait for what ??? Someone to create a 200KB GIF animation that shows the same thing ??

NASA put a camera on this thing for reasons of "public outreach". The only way they can securely fund serious research is to run a "Punch and Judy" show FFS.

"Ooooh..... pretty pictures" ..... that's NOT THE POINT OF THIS MISSION !!!!

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> "Ooooh..... pretty pictures" ..... that's NOT THE POINT OF THIS MISSION !!!!

Nope, but it's the point of getting more funding from the public for more missions like this.

Did the public go "oooooh" over the difficulty of getting a probe to Pluto? No, they went "oooooh" over the pictures. Same for the Mars landers and rovers. I know the American public (at least) completely shrugs its shoulders over "they found water on Mars!" and goes "so what? we don't care..."

1. P0l0nium

Well, to be fair : The Pluto pictures WERE a substantial part of "the point of the mission"... These are not. No one demanded pretty pics of the "Higgs Boson" in order to justify the $9B toroidal "hole in the ground".

So lets give funding to all the projects that can deliver pretty pictures ... huh ??? I'm sure that'll advance the frontiers of knowledge REALLY FAST !!!

Democracy sucks ..!! ("But everything else we tried was worse" - WS Churchill")

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"No one demanded pretty pics of the "Higgs Boson" ... "

Wrong. I did. But I never got an answer.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    WTF?

Shitty YouTube skin

Why do you still insist on putting that shitty homemade YouTube skin on? It keeps HTML5 from working so it crashes because I don't have flash. Then I have to dick around and play "fight the UI" like I'm using Windows 10 or something, until I get the edge of the link to open it in a separate window.

So I then have to enable AdBlock to block that crap, and then it's just too much trouble turning off the rest of AdBlock for just your site.

You're not usually such dickheads (to your readers, at least)

6. Jan 0 Silver badge

Can somebody explain?

Why the moons keep popping in and out of view? Are they being obscured by external parts of Juno, by other astronomical objects, is the camera faulty, or what?

7. JStone

Scientific accuracy

The view shown of Jupiter, with half the planet illuminated, is one that Galileo never saw. In fact it's impossible to have this view of Jupiter or any of the other outer planet from Earth; we see them pretty much in "full" phase, as the Earth simply doesn't move far enough away from the Sun to see them side on.

On the other hand, if this is meant to be a representation of Juno's view at is approached Jupiter, then yes the spacecraft did approach the planet from the side, as it edged towards Jupiter's orbit, but it did so coming up trailing the planet orbiting the Sun anti-clockwise. That means that Jupiter would have the Sun to the left, not the right, and so it's the other half of the planet that should be lit up!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon