back to article Selfie-proof smartmobes will hit stores for Christmas

Corning has revealed version 5.0 of its Gorilla Glass, the ubiquitous covering for smartphones. And this time around it says the substance has been toughened up again and will now remain intact “up to 80 percent of the time when dropped face-down from 1.6 meters onto rough surfaces”. The 1.6m figure is an improvement on …

1. David 132 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Darn, not what I thought

Poor show, El Reg. When I read the headline I had a vision of a smartphone that actively prevents selfies - by exploding, or perhaps poking the idiot user in the eye with a suddenly-extending antenna ("I've got your SELFIE STICK right HERE, FOOL!").

Reality, as usual, is far tamer and less satisfying than my febrile imagination.

2. Known Hero
    Paris Hilton

flat vs pebbles

Not sure if flat is certainly better, with pebbles and uneven surfaces the intial shock is transferred through to rotational movement, slap a glass plate down on a flat surface is very bad news for glass.

Sorry for all the shouting that might ensue.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Nice

This should improve the Darwinian selection properties too - as the likelihood of damaging the phone continues to decrease, the likelihood of the moron yielding it to capture that "one last moment" being eliminated out of the gene pool continues to increase.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Nice

"This should improve the Darwinian selection properties too - as the likelihood of damaging the phone continues to decrease, the likelihood of the moron yielding it to capture that "one last moment" being eliminated out of the gene pool continues to increase."

Great idea, a human black box people will willingly carry around with them. It'll increase the knowledge of human stupidity....

4. Alan Denman

Moto X Force..

feeding to the masses.

Unbreakable

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Er, 80% is not very good...

Translated into english:- for every five times a phone was dropped in the test, one phone broke.

Call us again when the number is more like one in a hundred... which is unlikely until small phones become fashionable again.

1. Tromos

Re: Er, 80% is not very good...

It's much worse than that. The wording in the article says "up to 80%" which I understand to mean that 4 out of 5 surviving was the best they could manage, but 3, 2, 1 or zero survivors are also on the cards.

6. Cynical Observer
    Stop

And impact on the corner?

I'm all for anything that makes the glass more resilient - but the first one that I ever broke (Galaxy SII back in the days) was a corner impact onto tarmac - not flat.

My daughter cracked her phone glass - strangely - corner impact on tarmac.

So... could they test that please - and in the mean time, I 'll keep on buying bumpers/cases to protect the phones.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why focus on the selfie?

You ruined a set of good news with poor reporting.

Bad form Reg. I expected better. Not all of us take selfies, and there's much more to this than that phenomenon most people do and the rest of us should get over.

(I enjoy photo bombing for instance)

8. smartypants

Up to a billion pounds

Is how much I paid for coffee this morning.

It is also the amount that the NHS will get every day after we escape the evil clutches of the EU.

This is the New Language, invented by people who want to dupe others with promises which mean nothing. There's a lot of it about.

1. Cynical Observer
      Facepalm

Re: Up to a billion pounds

@smartypants

Started about 10 years ago.... Proctor and Gamble got told off by the ASA for an untenable 100% claim. Head & Shoulders adverts knocked

Seems Early sightings of the "Up to 100% flake free" were noted later that year.

Even my 9 year old figured it for the meaningless crock that it was back then.

1. Kernel

Re: Up to a billion pounds

"Started about 10 years ago.... "

No, it goes back way earlier than that.

Back about 1970 or so I had a copy of the "Brand New Monty Python Papper Bok" which had an ad in it for what I seem to remember was a body building plan that would, among other benefits, make 'up to' some large number of ladies want to sleep with you every day - with an asterisk and footnote to the effect that the term 'up to' quite clearly included the number zero.

On a side note, I got this book at a good discount because the book shop wasn't able to clean the dirty marks off the front cover - no problem, I wanted the book and it was the last copy. It was many years later I saw another copy with exactly the same dirt marks - and realised that they were actually printed on the cover.

9. gjc33

It's all about physics !

All the claims they make about how shatterproof it is aren't worth sh*t.

As can be seen in the video on this BBC report, the phone is uncharacteristically accelerated towards the ground EXACTLY parallel to the surface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36863055

ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE EVER DROPS THEIR PHONE LIKE THIS !!!

Its all to do with the surface area of impact. When the phone lands flat, the impact pressure is spread across the screen, so the force on each square centimetre is small.

When it lands on a corner, all the force is concentrated into a fraction of a centimetre, therefore increasing the impact force, hence the screen shatters.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/everyday/Real-Life-Physics-Vol-2/Pressure-How-it-works.html

I would like to see them do the test where it is dropped normally and lands on one corner, as happens in the REAL WORLD. I bet it shatters then !

10. Ryan.T.Student

How about just not dropping your phone? I've only ever broken one phone in 16 years of owning mobile phones (yes I was late to the party) and that was a cheap Motorola from back in the pre-smartphone days. People should simply take care of their possessions a bit better.

1. gjc33

I (luckily, touch wood) have never broken a phone by dropping it, I have owned one since they were analogue and briefcase sized !.

I don't use phone cases, what's the point of buying a super-sexy slim phone if you are going to wrap it in 5mm of tacky rubber.

However ... its practically impossible to NEVER drop your phone.

I have dropped them a few times even though I am really, really careful with them, always putting them on a stable surface or back in my pocket.

Luckily they have been from short heights or soft landings and they only suffered scratching.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like