back to article US govt is in, EFF told to take a hike in post-Safe Harbor wrangling over privacy and EULAs

An Irish high court judge has accepted the US government into a high-profile case involving Facebook and mass surveillance – but rejected a number of civil liberties groups including the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). In a judgment [PDF] published Tuesday, Justice Brian McGovern noted that the United States government …

1. Baldy50

Could be fun maxing out their resources

Use any of the 377 key words the NSA check for alongside Allua hakba in the email title, find a Muslim person on FB and add them to your list, constantly talk about middle eastern issues using derogatory comments about western views to Islam etc... Do this on all social networks, you your friends and family and if enough people did this it would completely F up there attempts to monitor anyone realistically as they would simply not have the resources to cope.

A few thousand snoopers can't deal with billions of pissed off users!

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: Could be fun maxing out their resources

> Use any of the 377 key words the NSA check for

There's emacs M-x spook which does pretty much that, and has been there since I was in college in the late '80s.

It's sad that at the time "oh all the internet traffic goes through one NSA building" was considered a cynical joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>There's emacs M-x spook

Emacs bloat never ceases to amaze me. The KDE of text editors.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

In the 1980s you may have had a point. These days we have Eclipse to make emacs look the very model of efficiency.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

The NSA doesn't use keywords anymore, its purely just skin color and religious affiliation now

A friend of mine's grandparents immigrated to the US from Pakistan several decades ago (Funny enough, to get as far away from the Taliban and Al-Qaeda as possible), but he has never been to the middle east and rarely posts anything about his religion or even issue going on in the Middle East.

I, on the other hand, regularly travel to the middle east, associate with people that have ties to terror organizations, and I've read every single issue of 'Inspire Magazine' as well as seen all of IS's propaganda. I volunteer for an organization that helps out in Muslim communities to help people that might otherwise turn to terror networks for support and a feeling of belonging.

I'm so white that I have to be careful around 60 W bulbs or else risk getting a bad sun burn. My friend, on the other hand, wears the traditional clothing and is most definitely descended from a long line of Pakistanis. I'll give you exactly one guess as to who of us is on the government's watch-lists and is constantly being stopped at the airport for questioning.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: The NSA doesn't use keywords anymore, its purely just skin color and religious affiliation now

Neither of you?

2. Woodnag

eh?

"The refusal to include data privacy advocates in the case".

EPIC is a privacy advocate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EPIC or EFF?

Whose better to represent the side of privacy / how do sides stack up overall?

EFF take money from Google. Can't speak for Epic. Anyone have views?

4. Mark 65

Hmmm

The imposition of restrictions on the transfer of such data would have potentially considerable adverse effects on EU-US commerce and could affect US companies significantly.

Sorry Judge, that problem is not yours to consider or worry about. Is what they are doing within the law or not, that is and should be your only concern. Another fucking lap-dog.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Hi ho, hi ho...

... It's off to [E] Court [J] we go.

So if he comes down on the side of Schrems that's OK and if not he's just handed out grounds for an appeal. Splendid!

6. Vic

Judge is not very well-read

The BSA was included due to the fact that its members include Apple, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Oracle and others, and so can "offer relevant views which might otherwise not be available to the court."

Has this judge never read The Lord of the Rings?

"We wants it, My Preciousssss"

Vic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like