back to article Facebook's billion sheeple

Facebook says one billion people now use its Messenger service each month. To thank that herd of sheeple, it's created a floating balloon emoji it says will “add a touch of whimsy and delight to any conversation.” Maybe even conversations about your chats being turned into ads? ® Facebook app for Windows Phone

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

To say thanks

We can't grossly violate your privacy without your assistance.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

I detest faecebook.

I am deciding if I detest that trite word "sheeple" even more, and if you have to be one to use it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am deciding if I detest that trite word "sheeple" even more, and if you have to be one to use it.

Yes, for a moment I thought a commentard had hacked El Reg.

Please don't.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Agreed, it comes under the heading of being clever/funny once, briefly, when originally coined. But then left well alone.

3. Teiwaz

Sh**ple

So what's the alternative for the 'follow the herd' type mentality that seems ram-pant? This seemingly magnetic compulsion most have to sign on, and bleat their every tiniest thought while the social network farms and shears their personal data for profit.

Perhaps it is better to label the nay-sayers, those 'black sheep' who decide to keep their social network 'dark' to make it harder for the like of FB to leech off it. Goat-People? the goats usually symbolic of wayward independence.

Dammint, now I have an Adam Ant track stuck in my head...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sh**ple

So what's the alternative for the 'follow the herd' type mentality that seems rampant?

Facebook users?

:)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1 billion sock puppets maybe

They're just anon trolls.

5. dalethorn

The people are sheeple. Did anyone watch the zombie herds playing Pokemon at any of their local public parks? Facebook has tapped into the greatest source of virtual wealth the world has ever known - the mindless chatter of a billion of Earth's alleged sentient beings.

1. Dadmin
      Angel

HAHA! I like to call them muggles. Lemmings is another good one. Or Faceborg.

Do what I do; I can MAKE and support web sites/apps, I don't fucking USE them!

Okay, I do use Pinball Arcade, and the Futurama game, but that's IT. Social media is just a crappy way of not sending an email or making a live phone call session with analog to digital voice thingies. Phones! Phones is what they were, once upon a time...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon