back to article Oz boffins cook quantum computing out of mothballs

A Sydney University researcher has burned naphthalene to create a material that can hold quantum qubit information at room temperatures. While the world has both quantum storage and quantum gates, albeit at small scales, even performing a simple Boolean AND operation on qubits is best undertaken as close as you can get to 0 …

1. Unicornpiss
    Happy

Zippo computer...

And it's wind resistant!

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Zippo computer...

Naphthalene != Naphtha

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Naphthalene

it is C<sub>10</sub>H<sub>8</sub>, not C<sub>10</sub>H<sup>8</sup>

1. MatsSvensson

Re: Naphthalene

Sup?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

sup vs. sub

sup is the superscript tag, while sub is the subscript tag.

In chemistry, these have very different meaning. Subscript following an element symbol indicates the number of atoms of a given element within a molecule. A numerical superscript preceeding an element symbol indicates a specific isotope of an element[*]. A numerical superscript following an entire chemical formula (or element symbol), usually preceded or followed by a plus or minus sign, indicates the overall charge of the species (or a localized functional group).

Thus, C<sub>10</sub>H<sub>8</sub> [***] is a molecule containing ten carbon atoms and eight hydrogen atoms[**], while C<sub>10</sub>H<sup>8</sup> is a hypothetical[****] molecular ion consisting of ten carbon atoms, one hydrogen atom, and missing eight electrons.

[*] E.g. <sup>14</sup>C is a common radioactive isotope of a carbon atom, <sup>12</sup>C is the most commonly occurring isotope, <sup>13</sup>C is a minor stable isotope; the element symbol without the left superscript refers to the naturally occurring isotopic mixture.

[**] With naphthalene being one of the possible isomers; azulene is another common molecule with this molecular formula; there is a large number of other, less common isomers as well.

[***] I apologize on el Reg's behalf for the sub- and super-scripts not being rendered properly: it looks like these tags is one of the little perks withdrawn from the committed life-long ACs.

[****] I say hypothetical because multiply-charged molecular ions typically fragment into smaller ions; a small ion of a charge +8 will likely fragment so fast that it is better discussed as a resonance rather than a chemical species.

2. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Naphthalene

Thanks!

3. adnim
    Joke

Shiraz

gets me into a super imposed spin state, although its not very stable at any temperature

4. Daniel Voyce
    Gimp

Impressive

I am not in any way any kind of Quantum computing boffin but this sounds like a huge first step towards realistic "In my study" Quantum computers.

Early days it could be as an analogue to the old C64 tapes, except loading in a "cartridge" of consumable Quantum substrate.

5. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

So...

We store the data in chlorine [www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/18/smallest_hard_disk_drive_stores_a_kilobyte_of_memory_in_atoms/] and process it in carbon. When did Computing become Chemistry?

1. James 51

Re: So...

When Moore's observation ran up against the limitations of the physics of current technologies.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

computing and chemistry

Practical computing has always been about chemistry.

Babbage engine and pneumatic computers aside, there is very little actual computing you can do without some very advanced chemistry happening in the background. Ultimately, chemistry also puts a stop to any computing device.

P.S. Yes, I am a chemist. I wonder why did you ask?

3. Lotaresco
      Boffin

Re: So...

" When did Computing become Chemistry?"

It's difficult to be precise, but I would say it has been chemistry since at least 1958 with the introduction of the IC which takes one heck of a lot of chemistry to create. You could argue further back since transistors are not much more than chemistry in a package and even thermionic valves use a lot of chemistry (such as gettering and the rare-earth oxide coated cathodes).

6. BoldMan

Code NIGHTMARE GREEN takes a step closer...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
    Coat

I would like to suggest that we start calling quantum computing HighCarbComputing (HCC) from now on.

(Mine is the one with a book about the latest miracle diet in the pocket.)

8. John Jennings
    Joke

This means

That my usb key will smell like my nan?

1. Toltec
      Joke

Re: This means

Depends if she is sat in a chair or on the mantelpiece.

9. alferdpacker

"As well as being easy to fabricate, the nanospheres are also relatively easy to deposit onto a substrate, Dr Choucair, and the spin states on the nanospheres can be manipulated with an oscillating magnetic field."

The substrate is called "Dr Choucair"? That's so cool.

10. Swarthy

Buckyballs?

Putting together "metallic-like carbon nanospheres" with "resulting from burning hydrocarbon" makes me think C60 Fullerene.

11. JCitizen
    Coat

Ah!!...

so now spintronics is finally practical!!!

12. Magani
    Coat

Bug fixes

If they're using naphthalene for quantum computing, I guess there won't be any bugs in the code.

1. Conundrum1885

Re: Bug fixes

Heh, good one.

The slight snag here is that the readout requires low resistance so noise is going to be a problem if conventional coils are used.

Incidentally this is also why superconductors are used in D-Wave's QPU as the problem is twofold: the Josephon junctions have to be kept at millikelvins and the readout wires (from the junctions to other parts) also have to be very cold to superconduct.

Its actually a bit like an upside-down fridge with the most fragile part near the bottom of the cryostat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like