back to article Boris Johnson 'NIGHTMARE'

SciFi author and sometime Reg reader Charles Stross has described the appointment of Boris Johnson as foreign minister as CASE NIGHTMARE BLOND. Readers of Stross' Laundry Files novels will know that that in his fictional universe CASE NIGHTMARE RED is a trans-dimensional alien attack and CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is Cthulhu Spawn …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I don't know whether this applies here or not, but when I heard that Mrs May had appointed BoJo as her foreign secretary I was reminded of something Lyndon B Johnson allegedly said about J Edgar Hoover shortly after becoming president. The context was whether it was finally time to retire - or rather forcefully dislodge from his throne against his will - JEH.

LBJ deceided against it, arguing he'd rather have JEH inside his tent pissing out than outside his tent pissing in.

1. S4qFBxkFFg

The trouble with that line of reasoning is that it doesn't account for those who are quite happy to piss in, and out of, the tent while inside said tent.

Time will tell whether Boris is malicious or just (metaphorically) incontinent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LBJ

I wish we could have LBJ back as our president. If nothing else he one of the most quotable presidents ever!

1. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Re: LBJ

"Lyndon Johnson told the nation

Have no fear of escalation

I am trying everyone to please

Though it isn't really war

We're sending fifty thousand more

To help save Vietnam from Vietnamese"

Tom Paxton

3. Yes Me Silver badge
      Mushroom

Cunning plot

It can only be a cunning plot by Theresa May to bring about Boris's final downfall when he and David Davis finally report back that the Brexit deal available is so bad that we should not trigger Article 50 at all. Hopefully we'll get there before the end of the year.

No other explanation makes any sense at all.

1. paulf
        Thumb Up

Re: Cunning plot

@ Yes Me Re: Cunning Plot

I like your theory. She does seem to have made cabinet appointments on the basis of "You created this shit storm, you can clear it up your own mess or I'll have your bollocks for breakfast" hence:

Johnson (Brexit campaign figurehead/leader) as Foreign Secretary: i.e. having to deal with foreigners he's variously insulted

Davis (Brexit supporter) as Brexit minister: i.e. negotiating with the EU he made very public that he wanted to leave

Leadsom (Brexit supporter) as Environment secretary: i.e. she'll have to deal with Farmers/Fishermen that were promised so much in a Brexit withdrawl from CAP/CFP

Hunt (all round *unty Health Secretary) remains in post: i.e. get this snafu with the new Drs contract sorted out.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Hunt's staying with the NHS as he did so well last time.

The Energy part of the Dept. of Energy and Climate Change has been eaten by Business Innovation and Skills and the Climate Change part has disappeared. The UK needs an energy department separate from business to keep the lights on and be somewhat immune from lobbying by the energy industry. Climate change, well, are we back to it doesn't exist? We will be because Leadsom will probably be in charge of it.

As for BoJo, I think given his post it's more important what people abroad think, not what possible interpretations we can make for May putting him there.

I don't think she's that particularly clever. She couldn't answer basic questions about the IPBill in the Commons Committee and she must have spent half her time at the Home Office on surveillance issues of one kind or another.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think we're even remotely aware of the true depths of the cunning at play here. If this entire thing had all been one immense plot most cunning... the timing, the "debate," the vote, even the resignation... the whole lot... then who'd be a finer choice to figurehead the negotiations?

Awesome!(?)

As has already been said... time will tell... but in the meantime, don't panic Messrs Mainwaring

3. bailey86

http://jubileedebt.org.uk/reports-briefings/briefing/the-never-ending-austerity-story-why-greeces-third-bailout-solves-nothing

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Juncker

http://www.aecr.eu/the-eu-is-fed-up-with-democracy/

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2016/07/15/italian-banking-crisis/

Hitler / Junker finds out about Brexit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFQwtA6FYQ

I think some cool heads and intelligent people have now looked at Credit and realised how much better off we're going to be. This is why Theresa is pushing ahead with it.

Steady as she goes number one.

1. bailey86

'now looked at BREXIT' blimmin predictive text!

4. Anonymous Blowhard

There's also the argument that if someone dumps a load of shit on your doorstep, then an appropriate punishment is to have them take care of it.

2. Iain Griffiths

Charlie has code worded the whole Brexit mess as CASE NIGHTMARE TWEED.

3. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

In case Charles Stross reads this column

If Charles Stross does read this column: I really enjoy the Laundry series, and all the characters and concepts within, but please, I beg you, Mr Stross, never ever attempt to write a sex scene again.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: In case Charles Stross reads this column

Which story was that? Unless you are talking tentacle sex?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I'd rather take my chances with a randy octopus than BoJo.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Which story was that?

The Rhesus Chart

Definitely a firm entry to the Bad Sex awards. So to speak.

4. MrDamage Silver badge

Hairpiece fom Hades

Appropriate for both Boris, and Drumpf.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hairpiece fom Hades

It's an excited form of Meson!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Yes, it is Friday.'

And thank f*ck for that.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Awww.

Boris is just a big kid, and the evil witch (TM) has just given him a razor sharp knife to play with.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Awww.

It will be interesting to see if he falls on said knife when he fails to get even a half decent deal from Europe.

This will make or break his political career.

the phrase 'keeping your enemies closer' comes to mind.

So far the new PM has done a good job with her appointments.

Only time will tell us if she is just a one trick pony and just as crap at being PM as Gordo was.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Boris has nothing to do with negotiations. The suitably impressive David Davis is in charge of that.

Boris is a fun, charming and clever chap who's job entails being fun, charming and clever with foreign foreign secretaries.

1. Rich 11

It's the secretaries of the foreign secretaries that he wants to have fun with.

7. Yugguy

Hilarious

The only thing funnier than Boris is the wailing and gnashing of teeth from all the liberals and lefties since the announcement.

1. smartypants

Re: Hilarious

The gnashing of teeth isn't just liberals. It's anyone who understands the horror of seeing their country destabilised and humiliated by a perfect storm of lies, populist bullshit and egotistical nobends like Boris who is happy to screw the country in search of a top job.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Hilarious

What is that? Did we invade yet another foreign country based on "sexed-up" evidence??

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Potemkine Silver badge
    Facepalm

Putting Benny Hill at the Foreign Office is another proof of British humour.

10. Mephistro
    Devil

As some German politician said...

"After this, I wouldn't be surprised if they appointed Count Dracula as Health minister"*

*Or words to that effect, as this is a translation of a translation.

11. jason 7

Boris won't let it get that far.

He'll stage manage some huge diplomatic 'gaffe' that requires yet another 'heavy hearted resignation' before it gets too tough for him and we all see him way out of his depth.

He can then go back to dicking around the edge and maintaining his tiresome 'lovable buffoon' shtick for the media and public.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon