back to article Computers vs Ebola: Scientists use big data to predict future disease hotspots

A team of scientists have developed a model that can predict the likelihood of bat species carrying Ebola and other filoviruses using a machine learning algorithm. Filoviruses are a group of long filament shaped viruses that encode their genome on a single-stranded RNA. Ebola is the most well-known example; other filoviruses …

1. Tom 7

Strange bat movement neat St James park.

could be worse than ebola.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Headmaster

Bats have pups?

I thought they had bittens.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Isn't Marburg an Ebola strain like Reston?

4. LINCARD1000
    Pint

Curious

Will have to do a bit of research to find out just what the process of transmission from bat to human is.

The mind boggles otherwise. Bat blood transfusions? Having hot unprotected bat butt sex? Catching it off a toilet seat that a bat has used? Bat sneezes?

Righty ho, Friday afternoon and I am outta here. Have a great weekend all :-)

5. Alistair
    Windows

Batty, just completely crazy

@ LINCARD10000: *food*. Some folks find 'em tasty when toasted.

.... I know an old woman who swallowed a fly.....

1. LINCARD1000
      Coat

Re: Batty, just completely crazy

Nananananananana BAT-FLAN...

/me dies laughing

Don't mind me...

6. Loud Speaker

Batty!

I thought it was confirmed that the first human in the chain in Sierra Leone was infected by a pet monkey.

The bat theory was because bats spread it in Angola (about 5,000 miles away).

Disclaimer: I used to work for a company exporting anti-Ebola disinfectant to Sierra Leone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lower population densities

Another option would be to lower population densities to sustainable levels that would allow wilderness areas to remain wilderness and not be subject to excessive hunting for bushmeat.

Then again, NOT! Better to have 10 or even 20 billion people and no wilderness. At that point the only animals left would be those humans want and won't give us such diseases.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like