back to article Blocks appear in DigitalOcean's Droplets

Web compute server hoster DigitalOcean is adding block storage to its cloud-based Droplet servers. Digital Ocean offers Droplet virtual servers in the cloud for $5/month to $80/month depending on their configuration. The entry-level is 512MB RAM, 1 CPU, 20GB SSD and1TB transfer. At the $80 level you get 8GB, 4 CPUs, an 80GB …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Limited

Block Storage volumes can scale from 1GB to 16GB

Not really what I was looking for...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Limited

Facepalm for whoever made that typo. I see it's been corrected to 16 terabytes max. That's more like it.

I'll withhold judgement until I've actually tried it. Hopefully it's not as half-baked as their Floating IPs...

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Ad

This article sounds like an advertisment.

Is it mainly a cut n' paste job from a press release?

3. Bronek Kozicki

This is useful

The resizing model at DigitalOcean works like this : you can either upgrade your instance permanently which also (RAM , vCPU and transfer limit change aside) increases its storage in 10GB steps (smallest instance is 20GB then 30GB etc), or you can upgrade other parameters (listed above RAM, vCPU and transfer) leaving storage unchanged, which will allow you to downgrade later (so called flexible model). The addition of block storage means that you can upgrade in flexible manner and still extend your storage, simply by buying extra device. Which you can release later if you no longer need it, alongside with downgrading your instance. Neat.

4. shahroznawaz
    Thumb Up

Much Needed Feature

Well, This is indeed nice feature to add external storage with this feature. But being a non-Linux guy this would be more pain for you to add it. PAAS providers like Cloudways providing DigitalOcean Servers with Nice UI for vertical scaling to add block storage.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like