back to article Pimp your ride with new Linux for cars and an rPi under the hood

The Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) project is about to unleash the second version of its unified code base - snappily called UCB 2.0 - with expanded hardware support. For the participating car-makers and hardware vendors it's a big deal. Features landing in the latest distribution include support for a rear seat display with …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Linux for Cars

Dashboard display shows Linus Torvalds giving you the finger each time you start the car.

1. Yugguy

Re: Linux for Cars

Loving the downvotes from the fanbois with no sense of humour.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Automotive Grade Linux

Also known as OpenBSD.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: Automotive Grade Linux

Actually, my first thought was that calling your main body of code "UCB" immediately invites confusion with the very origins of BSD. To the point it sets alarm bells ringing - if you're ignorant of that what else don't you know?

Oh wait, this is a new Linux distro, so self-promotion and being "cool" are more important than anything else.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Toyota uses QNX at least for the infotainment part (navigation, radio etc).

Which cars use OpenBSD or Linux?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Which cars use OpenBSD or Linux?

I believe Tesla uses both FreeRTOS and linux on the Model S. There are a few websites out there where people have hacked and got a root console.

3. Brian Miller

Driving on crontab

Since self-driving cars are becoming interesting, does this mean that messing up a crontab entry will make you late for work because you missed your car?

4. Captain DaFt

Ok, shoot me...

but I gotta ask.

If I switch my car to Linux... will I have to recompile the driver?

(Sounds painful!)

1. Snow Hill Island
      Coat

Re: Ok, shoot me...

I'm really excited about this, and hope all the usual computer hardware vendors get involved.

Normal levels of linux hardware support from manufacturers will mean that it will be driverless long before any other vehicle OS.

5. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

So if this Automotive Grade Linux is going to be widely used, does that mean:

a) It's going to use systemd

b) If it uses systemd does that mean I can use systemd's built in word processor while I'm driving?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Dunno about the word processor, but I expect systemd will be able to make you a cup of coffee, at least.

2. GrumpenKraut
      Devil

> ... systemd's built in word processor...

That, and the speedometer display's format is binary. It is also impossible to drive on roads that aren't systemd compliant.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Megaphone

And you'll never want to stop your car once you've got it started, you'll never know if you'll be able to start it again.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Nah, it'll (almost) always start ...

But you will never know whether it'll let you get in before it drives off. That, and if you don't wear the same clothes every day, you'll find all the devices like steering wheel and gearstick keep moving around - wear the wrong jacket and your passenger will have to steer from the back seat.

Problem wil be stopping it, every time you stop the engine the supervisor will think it's stalled and helpfully restart it for you.

3. arnt

..only if you agree to let the autopilot print out your documents on the road with nice big rubbery fonts and enveloped in Native American Style Signal Smoke.

6. xj650t
    Joke

Expands hardware support

From wheel release candidate v0. 99 to 1.00.

New experimental multi-piston features with up to 64 supported pistons,replaces single piston support.

Audi indicator support added, arrow on dashboard flashes but external indicators do not.

BMW mode upgraded to sorry mate I didn't see you v2. 03.

Sales rep tailgate mode, distance reduced before auto braking from 3 foot to 6 inches.

7. MrGutts
    Happy

I really wish BMW / Mini goes this route, because they are freaking horrible at keeping there software up to date.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It'll probably be like android. So customised by each manufacturer that they will be the only source of updates.

Sorry sir, your two year old car is no longer supported, it's not our fault you bought an end-of-life model, if you want those vital security and safety updates you'll have to buy a new car.

8. disgruntled yank

Automotive grade

As in Toyota, or as in Yugo?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Automotive grade

<q>As in Toyota, or as in Yugo?</q>

You got something against Yugo, or are you still unaware of the Toyota "uncommanded acceleration" stories in the USA (and resulting court cases and multi-billion $ penalties, not to mention deaths) in recent years?

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319903 25 Oct 2013

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1319966 31 Oct 2013

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1321734 1 Apr 2014

https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/pubs/koopman14_toyota_ua_slides.pdf 28 Sep 2014, Prof Phil Koopman (expert witness at the Toyota trial)

9. kryptylomese

It is a good thing!

It is clear that if you build a system complex enough that it could utilise an operating system then Linux is the best choice.

Knowing that every appliance runs the same operating system has the potential to make them extensible.

Not sure I want to have to worry about Kettle and Fridge updates but our TV's already present this problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon