back to article Omni-shambles! Card-stealing malware checks into US hotel chain

Yet another US hotel chain has admitted malware infected its computer systems and stole guests' bank card information. Omni Hotels said today [PDF] an attacker managed to infiltrate its IT network and inject a software nasty into its payment terminals that siphoned off copies of people's credit and debit cards. The malware …

1. Commswonk

Included _What_?

...expiration date...

That is an abomination. I can (only) just about tolerate it in any original press release from a US company, but for it to be used in a UK article on a UK publication is almost too much to bear.

The word you should have used was expiry, just in case you were wondering. FWIW I get seriously pissed off when I am asked for "it" when ordering something in the UK from a UK company.

Linguistic pollution of the first order...

1. Bob Dole (tm)

Re: Included _What_?

maybe you should just accept fate and get with the program.

1. Fred Dibnah

Re: Included _What_?

Happy to get with the programme.

2. Captain Badmouth
    Happy

Take a deep breath.......

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Hotel chain infected by computer credit card stealing trojan malware

There is only one solution to all this banking credit card stealing trojan computer malware, we must ban Apple Macs and Android from industrial control systems and commercial organizations, forthwith .. Wi^Mn^M^Md^Mo^Mw^Ms ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sorry, was there an article below the distractions in stock photo?

As above...

5. Magani
    Meh

Photo Title

"... They're celebrating because they paid in cash"

Ever tried to check into a US hotel with only cash and no credit/debit card? Good luck with that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But there's actually a silver lining...

There's a service being implemented where a trusted third party holds the transaction data and gives the hotel a hash key that is unique to the credit card and the hotel. So your card details are going to be safer than if held at the hotel itself.

Unfortunately I don't think this would help against a skimmer, but it makes hacking and stealing the data harder. Note: I could be wrong about a potential skimmer hack... I'm not directly involved on that side of the shop.

7. ShadowDragon8685

That... That wasn't the new Doctor, was it?

Oh, oh yes it was. Malcolm Tucker was the character name, it was indeed Peter Capaldi.

Man, it's WEIRD hearing The Doctor tear a strip out of someone like that, dropping F-bombs.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Wow, some anonymous coward downvoted me for that? And couldn't even be arsed to say what in the world they could possibly find objectionable about it, too?

8. adam payne

Pre-pay all day long.

9. Swarthy

Kinda' Creepy

Booking a hotel in Atlanta, GA for later this year.. Ones looked at were Starwood, Mandarin Oriental, and Omni. Should I start feeling paranoid yet?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like