back to article Linux 4.7 delayed

Linus Torvalds' travel plans mean version 4.7 of the Linux kernel will be delayed by a week. “We've had a nicely calm week, which is what I expected - the last rc really was bigger just due to random timing issues, and not some worrying pattern about this release cycle,” Torvalds wrote on Sunday.” “Anyway, there's a couple of …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Lets Hope...

That Linus is not travelling on 'Southern' here in the UK. He might be even later with the next release.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets Hope...

'Traveling on Southern', You make it sound like something 'idealic'.

I feel for the all the Air passengers arriving at Gatwick.

If the experience of Gatwick's UK Border Control wasn't soul destroying enough, with queues equivalent to a chicken farm, going through grey cold emotiveless gates, which says anything but 'Welcome (back) to the UK", it really says 'Welcome to Britains' Open Prison - glad you could join us'

I always queue to at least speak to a 'human', as actually its the only chirpy thing left in the expansive minimal destitute place, but fuck, its such a miserable first 'display window' if what Britain has to offer.

Camera's fixed on you at every opportunity with Big Brother style spinning LEDs around the lens, forcing people to lookup into the camera lens.

Then followed by, a large expanse of a baggage reclaim room with no personal direction, poorly marked exits.

Who designs this stuff? Theresa May personally?

Only to head to Southern Trains tiny ticket hall and queue in pens for 10 mins for one of the few automated ticket machines, with the only (non English) person to help just saying No.6, No.5 etc.

I'm not been racist here, more that if you are showcasing 'Britain' for the first time, showing tourists/people the ropes, at least have a sudo-mock English presence doing this, in the same way we promote our Madame Tussaud's Royal Family. After all, that's what many have paid to come to see - real life waxworks.

Then head to the platform, where an 'English' phonetically broken (somewhat irritating, I'm probably tired) automated announcement tells you of the next arrival.

Or - Take a hire car and you're subject to zero tolerance Hadecs speed cameras as soon as you leave the terminal building, nice getting that first ticket + hire car admin fees, 10mins into your trip, at least announce its 'zero tolerance' speed limits to the unaware, instead of fleecing each and every tourist.

For the attention of Theresa May:

Fuck, if you really don't want to make people feel like staying in the UK, Gatwick Airport / Border Control / Southern trains is doing everything in its Power to put that point across.

If we didn't know it now, we'll know it soon but life under Theresa May as Prime Minister is going to be the most miserable existence ever, given what she's done so far as Home Secretary.

Thank God for Linux though, somehow (to me) respresents an antithesis to everthing else happening in mainstream (Microsoft lef) Tech/Surveillence/Intelligence.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets Hope...

"Only to head to Southern Trains tiny ticket hall and queue in pens for 10 mins for one of the few automated ticket machines, with the only (non English) person to help just saying No.6, No.5 etc."

Damn goobacks. Why don't you goo back to your own timeline...

2. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Lets Hope...

I passed through Heathrow Terminal 3 the other day. The experience was not a very welcoming welcome to Britain. Left at London City, which was like a tiny LEGO airport.

2. Adrian Midgley 1

Didn't we see this story with a previous RC?

No rush.

3. Ikkabar
    Joke

After the latest....

.... 'Shouty Rant' that must mean that contributors are for tidying up their comments

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon