back to article Loose wrists shake chips: Your wrist-job could be a PIN-snitch

Chinese scientists have brewed a way to steal -- with 80 percent accuracy -- automatic teller machine PINs by infecting wearable devices. Five university boffins demonstrated the trick in a laboratory, finding even the slight hand movements a person makes while entering PINs can be captured through infected smart watches. The …

1. Steve Todd

Not

If I wear my watch on my left wrist and type PIN numbers with my right hand they can't. I suspect most people don't wear their watch on their dominant side.

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Not

Especially given that when entering my PIN (using my right hand), my left hand (with watch) is normally resting on the machine as a shield and is therefore stabilised.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately I am one of those strange people who do this. I am right handed but my left wrist is irritated by watch wearing.It has to be on the right wrist or in my pocket.

I'm OK though as my watch is so smart that it doesn't have movement sensors built in that could splurge my PIN info. I accept that it only tells the time, but for a watch bought in Dixons in 1983 and which uses one tiny battery a year that's not too bad.

1. Dabooka

I'm with you, right handed but wear my watch on that hand since a kid when I bust my wrist.

Not worried though as like you I own no smart wtach, can't see how it could get infected and fail to believe they could then clone my card / steal it. Easier to mug me for the watch I'm wearing to be honest

Interesting exercise nonetheless.

3. DropBear

...and of course there are all the left-handers like me who totally do wear their watches on the dominant (left) hand. It's not a smartwatch though so I'm good...

2. Charles 9

What about finger-only movement?

I wonder if the same technique can also detect when just the fingers move and knows which finger moved. If they can also detect finger-only movement, then I'd call that pretty sensitive. And adding noise to the device would make it less desirable since some people insist on more accuracy.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: What about finger-only movement?

When they start using the wrist band sensors to detect myotactic signals...

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It isn't really "finger only movement", because your fingers are controlled puppet-like by "tendons" that are run through your wrist.to connect to muscles in your forearm. Grip right wrist with left hand and move the right hand fingers (other the other way around), and you'll feel things moving in there.

1. Charles 9

But is the watch sensitive enough to detect those subtle movements? From what I've read, I don't think so; the movement against the watch is too slight. It sounds more like it's trying to read the movement of your hand as you one-finger the PIN, but many of us don't use one finger to punch in their pin. Plus, as others have noted, most of us wear our watches on our non-dominant hand while our dominant hand actually punches in the PIN.

3. John Robson Silver badge

Pretty neat

attack vector.

Who will call for touchscreen grids which change randomly each entry?

Or at least variably labelled buttons

(And yes I know that would be havoc for disability reasons - no reason not to have a flag on the card that regularises the keypad though)

1. Stoneshop

Re: Pretty neat

That would also thwart the IR scan attack.

People who rely on their muscle memory would have to unlearn that if such measures are introduced.

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Which for someone like me, who only remembers numbers by a pattern (yay dyslexia) would basicily be reduced to counter service only for money withdrawals. And I'm already been told by one branch of barclays that I can't do that with out a PIN either :(

1. John Robson Silver badge

Dyslexia is one reason to set the flag to regularise the buttons.

No branch should require your PIN, your account details and any reasonable form of ID should suffice.

1. Charles 9

"No branch should require your PIN, your account details and any reasonable form of ID should suffice."

But haven't there already been too many instances of fake ID's and gleaned account details equating to identity theft?

4. Oengus

What's a Smart Watch?

See title

1. Stoneshop
      Coat

Re: What's a Smart Watch?

Someone who's standing guard over a parking lot for those compact cars by Daimler AG

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

But...

What watched/wearables are at most risk of being hacked like this?

Well, apart from the idiot user who seems to want to download all sorts of crap from all over the internet.

do the really claim to be able to differentiate between a single finger pin input and a multi finger one?

coz, I use three fingers to enter my pin. I also drag my fingers over other keys so as to not leave clear fingerprints behind.

So in a clean lab environment this might be possible but in the real world? would it be as successful?

Lets face it, life is a risk.

6. imanidiot Silver badge
    Facepalm

Even more reason

Even more reason not to want a smartwatch. And I didn't ever want one in the slightest to begin with

7. Jeffrey Nonken

Yeah, well. I wear one of <a href="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kqJJbfSgakdy5lT-aB8RhM0Sxto7Jx1cdRtbYonShFyClKDfPxV0l-ijqJtAPZtvda6E3jyWbQ=w2160-h3840-rw-no”>these</a>. Good luck hacking it. Also, another dexter with his watch on the sinister.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Advanced html my left foot. ...Oh, damn, the stupid phone substituted a smart quote, didn't it? *facepalm* THANK YOU SO MUCH AUTOCORRECT.

1. et tu, brute?
        Boffin

Next time, comment from a computer... Phones are made to call and speak to people, not leave comments on our favourite website!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But phones are more than phones, plus most computers aren't portable (by portable I mean I can put it in my pocket, which excludes laptops). So how can I comment on my favorite website away from home when I'm away on business?

1. Stoneshop
            Pint

by portable I mean I can put it in my pocket

Bring back the Psion 5MX, updated to today's requirements: colour screen, beefier processor, adequate RAM and storage, EPOC64 instead of Android, and built-in comms, but keeping the clamshell and the keyboard.

1. Down not across
              Thumb Up

Re: by portable I mean I can put it in my pocket

If they did such a modern version of Psion 5MX at a reasonable price, I'd buy one or two in a heartbeat.

I suspect it wouldn't run on two AAs anymore and battery life would be bit worse. Although perhaps if it used ACeP it might not be too awful.

8. You aint sin me, roit
    Pirate

Brute Force

So...

They load a monitor app onto my smart watch.

They retrieve my PIN using a clever algorithm.

Don't they still have to beat me over the head to get my card?

I'm sure I can come up with an easier way to generate 10,000 four digit PINs that aren't related to any specific individual (that relation only exists when you nab the card).

1. xeroks

Re: Brute Force

the PIN may be for your iPhone, where you don't have the luxury of 10,000 attempts.

1. Stoneshop

Re: Brute Force

My ATM card allows 3 tries

9. Alister

"Attackers can reproduce the trajectories of the user's hand then recover secret key entries to ATM cash machines, electronic door locks and keypad-controlled enterprise servers."

I wonder if they could work out what a watch wearer was doing, given the output like this:

101010101020202020202020303030303030306060606060606080808080909090909090909090909095908090909090909090909090909090909090909090909090

10. Stoneshop
    Trollface

The next development

will be smart watches that have a '10 seconds of tremor' mode, which the next version of the infecting app will intercept and subtract from the movement data.

Then people who want to block this attack vector will be seen with a Rabbit strapped to their wrist.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would never be able to get me

For the simple fact that I stopped wearing watches ever since I got a cellphone which also displayed the time. And I should have done this much sooner too in my opinion. No weight on your wrists, no risk of it getting stuck somewhere (this is especially true when repairing / working on computers) and it also doesn't leave tan marks.

No more watches for me :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would never be able to get me

So every time you have to look up the time you have to take your phone out of whatever pouch you keep it in and turn it on to see the time...

I thought the idea of a wrist watch was that you could glance at the time with a quick look without having to take anything out of your pockets...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like