back to article Bloke 'lobbed molotov cocktails' at Street View car because Google was 'watching him'

A man arrested for setting fire to one of Google's Street View cars has told the authorities he feared the company was watching him. Raul Diaz, 30, of Oakland, was arrested on Thursday outside Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California, after his car was flagged by security as similar to one that had been seen at three …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He was right - Google clearly was watching him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And if someone was lobbing flammable substances at you, wouldn't you watch them too?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yep

All you have to know about Google and privacy is how outright hostile towards tor traffic they are (give us your ip or endless captcha 4 joo). Granted they are not the only ones but luckily there are exceptions and alternatives. Duckduckgo, for example, even has their own onion address.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: yep

DuckDuckGo is basically a google scraper. I'm not so sure google can't actually get a very good idea of who you are even when using DuckDuckGo.

2. Kubla Cant

When I recently installed Pale Moon I found that Duckduckgo is the default search engine. Seemed promising, until I searched for Cambridge restaurants and got a lot of results for some foreign country that's copied the name.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yep which is why the poster above you is getting the downvotes. Anyone who has used duckduckgo knows its darn useful 90% of the time or so but you will still need to keep a non tor browser for occasionally using Google. Google getting my info (other than perhaps search query itself and even that is unlikely) while I am using duckduckgo onion's address is pretty far down my list of worries. Also the reason you didn't get the local results you wanted is probably because duckduckgo is not using geolocation information (or if through tor would be of exit relay). Half of why Google is so accurate is because they know exactly who you are, where you are, what you are doing, who you are meeting, etc especially if you willingly login into their spyware with all your devices.

2. Brian Miller

"I always feel like..."

Google's watching me!

And I see a Google car!!

Next in the news: exhibitionist doesn't complain about Google's surveillance...

1. vir

Re: "I always feel like..."

Requisite Rockwell reference...

Somebody's Watching Me

3. Mark 85

told the authorities he feared the company was watching him.

Well.. they are. And not just him. We're all being watched and not just by Google. Seems every one, companies and TLA's have their collective ears to the pipes.

I guess I should add that except for the TLA's who just want to watch all of us, everyone else is not just watching but selling us, also.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I can absolutely see his point, but can't really approve of his methods. But then what can you do? The law is no good because Google et.al. buys laws, with enough cash left over to bury you in legal bullshit for the next millennium or two.

You can't opt out. You can't control what's harvested...Google say you can; but that requires a Google account; coughing up a phone number (which entirely nullifies the point); and trusting that Google will do as they say. Which I don't..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

There is a point here that when the Law is not perceived to protect the citizen but even may be said to oppress said citizen and the citizen has no real recourse which isnt unlawful - then what are said citizens likely to do?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like...

this person would be worried that eyes are watching him.

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Happy

He denied it was a pipebomb in his car,

but merely a "tube filled with cotton and bullets."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: He denied it was a pipebomb in his car,

when is a pipebomb not a pipebomb? when it can't go boom??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just out of curiosity

Can you see Larry Page, Sergey Brin & Sundar Pichai's front doors on GOOGLE Street Snoop?

1. JetSetJim

Re: Just out of curiosity

I'd be very surprised if their houses fronted onto public highway, considering their wealth.

Now, a more pertinent question is "are their front gates on Streetview?"

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

I imagine they have heard of the Streissand effect, so yes their front gates probably are on streetview. Probably can't see much beyond them though.

1. Hans 1

> Probably can't see much beyond them though.

That is why you have google earth ;-)

2. JetSetJim
          Coat

> yes their front gates probably are on streetview

Larry Page's front gates (source):

https://goo.gl/maps/36r1cDchVtP2

Sergey Brin's house (source):

https://goo.gl/maps/fimqGQqLCK62

Can't find Sundar's actual address, though. Might be the house featured in this vid

2. Lotaresco

Can you see Larry Page, Sergey Brin & Sundar Pichai's front doors on GOOGLE Street Snoop?

One of the things about Google that really annoys me is that there is an image of my front door on their system. What's annoying about that is that in order to get the image (and all of the images of my garden, land, car and other possessions) is that they drove a mile down a private road which is marked "Private Road, No public access" in three places. Of course Google refuse to remove these images from StreetView and have the attitude "Our lawyers are bigger than your lawyers."

1. A K Stiles

and presumably the streetview cameras captured the 'Private Road' signs too?

1. JetSetJim
          Facepalm

> and presumably the streetview cameras captured the 'Private Road' signs too?

presumably that text is blurred out?

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Seems like a case where big lawyers won't make a difference. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a lawyer to take that case for a decent fee or even on a "no cure-No pay" commision basis.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

add an intercomm and remote contolled road spikes for the next time - you can put up a warning sign too, if you like

7. Herby

Looks like...

...A person of interest.

Blue moon beer? Must have been drinking it way too much!!

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Looks like...

Squirt Gun and a failed Molotov.

Muppet. Product of modern education which censors both Chemistry and History.

He did not even know how to do a Molotov properly. A well done Molotov if it breaks stays there and burns in place - it does not just flow over the target without causing any major damage.

Now, how to achieve that is another matter. The methodology has changed over the years with the originals using a different one from the one used in WW2 by the resistances around Europe fighting against Germans and changed once more after as a result of observing what US did in Vietnam.

All of those are described in a good History (and Chemistry) books. The uncensored ones (rather difficult to find them in the UK due to thought crime restrictions).

1. Velv
        Pirate

"All of those are described in a good History (and Chemistry) books. The uncensored ones (rather difficult to find them in the UK due to thought crime restrictions)."

Didn't take me long to find them and I'm in the UK. Google is your friend

I say that, I didn't actually open them, just kind of remembered what to search for (see icon) and the results list looked promising.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The methodology has changed over the years with the originals using a different one from the one used in WW2 by the resistances around Europe fighting against Germans"

You're history is a bit sh*t as well. Molotov cocktails were used by the Finns and later by the Germans to fight older Soviet tanks that had large air intakes on the back of the hull. The Finns named them in a sardonic reference to Stalin's bullet headed foreign minister. German tanks and later Soviet ones were not vulnerable to incendiary devices.

1. harmjschoonhoven

Later developments of the Molotov cocktail

The early history was IMHO correctly described by Kmiettinen. In 1968, when students and laborers almost toppled the French government, an improved version was developed by adding a layer of suphuric acid to attack priceless marble. Finally there is supposed to be feminist Molotov cocktail where the glass bottle is replaced by a cola-can which makes it almost harmless.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Joke

I lost that bet

I would have wagered good money that the culprit was Andrew Orlowski.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I lost that bet

I would have wagered good money that the culprit was Andrew Orlowski.

Why? Because he cares more about privacy than you?

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Re: I lost that bet

No. Because... if I have to explain it, it isn't funny.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Joke

"....used a squirt gun seemingly as a flamethrower...."

Obviously the guy is suffering from an over-exposure to MacGuyver!

10. Unicornpiss
    Black Helicopters

Paranoia may destroy ya..

That is all.

1. Mark 85

Re: Paranoia may destroy ya..

Is it paranoia when you know they're out to get you? Just asking in case I need a new chapeau.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paranoia may destroy ya..

I wouldn't be surprised if the judge lets him off with a $25 fine and a "thank you".

11. Mephistro
    Devil

The guy is clearly a nutter!

He owned a VW Touareg, FFS!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The guy is clearly a nutter!

I do hope it was one of the cleaner VW group diesels (or gasoline) otherwise, you know, pollution, from burning fuel ;)

2. David Roberts
      Coat

Re: The guy is clearly a nutter!

I own a VW Touareg (also known as a Toerag).

Nice car. Goes like a..... ummmm.......bomb?

The one with a copy of VCDS in the pocket. Thank you.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Freedom of explosion

Or right to burn arms?

13. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Paranoia is when you think they're watching you...

Alan Nelson... https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8XmFCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=narapoia+alan+nelson&source=bl&ots=A7_N_ZKVto&sig=3NYtRjz8zuEXu0Mx0lyg-A8JK6Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-obXb0uDNAhUBqxoKHWZzAP4Q6AEIUjAJ#v=onepage&q=narapoia%20alan%20nelson&f=false

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Paranoia is when you think they're watching you...

Next time, just refer to the book and leave out the part of the URL which Google uses to track people..

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: Paranoia is when you think they're watching you...

Yeah, missed that. Sorry.

14. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Google Bomb

Maybe he thought that merely linking the words "molotov" and "google is invading my privacy" on websites was insufficient to get him to the top of google.

15. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Facepalm

How did he know where to go to get to Google properties? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he used Google Maps.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

He just followed the scent of over-inflated egos (although its likely to get drowned out by local sources of smug coming from Cupertino to the South and San Francisco to the North).

16. cwcl

Not watching well enough!

Surely Google have an algorithm to predict when a particular person id going to bomb them.

17. TRT Silver badge

So this is why...

they're developing self-driving cars.

18. Nixinkome

I was beginning to worry that guys carried full Molotovs around just in case then realized he had a thing about Google. The fine and prison sentence seem fine if one considers that it was a good thing he was Hispanic otherwise his eventual apprehenders may have shot him dead.

By the way, how was the pictured vehicle damaged?

1. Nixinkome

Addendum

Now I'm thinking about Cubans and South Americans. Sometimes these articles have 'earworm' effects!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well I don't know but the last vehicle I saw that had actually burned *through* metal door panels was aluminium bodied ....

19. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face
    Facepalm

Irony

Man seeks privacy. Ends up on the front page of the internet.

20. Identity
    Black Helicopters

"maximum 20-year jail sentence and $250,000 fine"

Perhaps that sentence should be served in a rubber room with some fine psychiatric chemicals...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like