back to article Space prang of cosmic proportions blamed for giving Mars its moons

A new study suggests the early history of Mars was incredibly violent and the planet's two small moons are the sole surviving remnants of what was once a shimmering halo. Mars has two moons – Phobos and Deimos (from the Greek words for fear and dread respectively) – but they are tiny, misshapen planetoids, just 22 and 13km (14 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ergo

Always take out travel insurance, even when out of galaxy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Space needs "safe spaces"

"Mars hit a massive protoplanet about a third of its size"

Rank patriarchic male aggression and nowhere to hide!

3. James 51

And Earth was probably hit by something Mars sized. The early solar system sounds like it was a metaphorical bar room brawl.

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Are we doomed?

Deimos, on the other hand, is far enough out that it won’t fall to a rocky death. Instead it's spiraling slowly away from the Martian surface

What are the chances/how long before its captured by Earth/crashes

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Are we doomed?

"What are the chances/"

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one. But they still come.

1. Graham Cunningham

Re: Are we doomed?

... 9 times out of 10

5. G R Goslin

Conjecture

All this is conjecture, of course. If you're allowed to guess at the original conditions, unsupported, you can come up with an infinite number of theories about almost anything.

1. James 51

Re: Conjecture

The counter point being we have the ability to observe things as they are now and we can use that information to eliminate a lot of theories. Not to mention I'd expect the theories to explain exoplanets as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conjecture

This modelling shows that the hypotheses is possible but not probable and only by the sampling of Phobos and Deimos will we be able to tell whether they're captured asteroids or protoplanetary fragments.

Protoplanetary fragments, although superficially looking like asteroids, should show evidence (such as slow melting and compaction) of being part of a larger gravitational body whereas an asteroid, having never been in those gravitational conditions, would not.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

" ...Phobos will suffer the same fate in a few million years, and is already cracking up under the strain."

Well, who wouldn't?

7. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

I wouldn't depend on JAXA...

...they're making rocket science look every bit as hard as it is.

I say this as a member of the nation that built Beagle 2.

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Interesting stuff. Speculative on the one hand, but if they make first testable predictions we can certainly make progress. It would be absolutely great if JAXA pulled this mission off.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did

the Martians know it was coming?

10. imanidiot Silver badge

Unclear

To me the video shows a whole lot of material blasting off into space and a whole lot of material falling back to the planet, only very little of it goes into something resembling an orbit, but none of it seems stable to me. To me as an outsider this theory seems unlikely, so we'll see what the sample gathering turns up!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like