back to article ITU okays another TV spec

The ITU's added another high dynamic range (HDR) option to UHD TV recommendations. The ITU-R HDR-TV Recommendation BT.2100 announcement is couched in the kind of terms usually reserved for people selling $10,000 hi-fi cables, with the standards body saying HDR “can make outdoor sunlit scenes appear brighter and more natural, …

1. Richard Jones 1
    WTF?

Go On Thrill Me

Does it also require an improvement in the dire selection of programmes currently on offer?

Otherwise who the hell cares?

1. Chris Evans

compression jpeg artifacts

1080p with low compression i.e.few jpeg artefacts, would give a good enough picture for me. Broadcasters are skinflints and won't give good quality unless they can charge you more.

2. Oengus

Damn. Now I have to buy my favourite movies again in the new format.

3. defiler

But there's a difference

Unlike cables made from unicorn-sinew, HDR signalling actually *can* offer a difference in highlights and shadows whereas the cables only really highlight the sunshine reflecting off the snake oil.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

HDR is not something most people will want

The problem with HDR is the same as that with offering audio with a high dynamic range. HDR audio like Dolby causes problems for people who have to turn up their sound to hear whispered dialogue and then get their eardrums blown out by explosions, so many end up enabling options for dynamic range compression. A lot of TVs have this enabled by default when you use the built in speakers, if you listen to a lot of commercial programming with an external sound system you end up needing a device like the Terk VR-1 which essentially performs dynamic range compression. If you visit a bar with sports on you can tell the ones who don't have this sort of device - the commercials are ridiculously loud and are almost painful to hear. This is better now than it was a few years ago (at least in the US) but they still make sure commercials are as loud as the loudest part of the regular programming, so it is pretty jarring to go from the hushed tones of a golf announcer to a local commercial for a car dealer that's practically screaming at you!

Now in order to get proper HDR video you will need a screen that is capable of far greater maximum brightness than existing TVs, because you're already maxed out at the low end by what people's eyes can see in dark scenes. You don't want to be forced to turn away from the screen and squint if you go from a nighttime screen to one depicting full daylight the next day, even though that's EXACTLY what you'd have to do in real life if you went from a dark room and walked outside at high noon on a sunny day. How will making your eyes hurt improve the TV watching experience?

What TVs need is not HDR but WCG - wide color gamut. Unfortunately that requires significant changes to the way we make TVs, as even the BT.2020 standard is unattainable by any TV ever made, even those in labs. And while BT.2020 is a big improvement over the amount of colors TVs can currently display, it still barely covers half of what the human eye is capable of seeing so we have a long long long way to go before TVs can reproduce the variety of color we our eyes can see in the real world! But that's how you get realism, not the "realism" of making me turn away from the screen and squint when the scene changes to bright sunlight, or making my ears ring when there's an explosion. Sure, that's realism, just not the kind of realism most people want from their entertainment!

4. Alister

" It enhances dimly lit interior and night scenes, revealing more detail in darker areas, giving TV producers the ability to reveal texture and subtle colours that are usually lost with existing Standard Dynamic Range TV"

Umm, is he talking about turning the brightness up? I can do that on my 15" CRT telly!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon