back to article Dolphin fans freak, blast browser's bumbling bundles of bloatware

The Dolphin mobile browser is feeling the wrath of netizens angry over the new extensions being bundled with the app. A Reg reader points out that the mobile browser has been hit with a string of one-star reviews and criticism from people who say they've had unwanted apps being installed alongside the browser, including a …

1. Phil Kingston

On the plus side...

...at least people are starting to take notice of apps that (try to) install unwanted crap and not just dumbly letting them install what they want.

1. Sebastian A

Re: On the plus side...

This is just the vocal few. The vast majority of users will just put up with it if they even notice. I doubt any app developer is going to back out this kind of change. Cash is king.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: The vast majority of users will just put up with it if they even notice

Will they though? These are people who decided they didn't like the built in browser on their phone and downloaded another. The people that "just put up with it" are running Chrome already.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: On the plus side...

They're not really taking notice if they decide to move to Chrome.

2. cd

It's been crap for a while. Was really good once, tho.

1. Lloyd

Yeah it's a bloated mess

It has but I think most of us were reticent to uninstall it because of our bookmarks and the pain in the arrrssss it is to move them over. Fortunately the new malware helped us along with that problem by adding extra impetus.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: Yeah it's a bloated mess

It turned suspicious quite a while back a along with a dramatic drop in quality (performance, bugs, bloat & constant feature churn). Would have replaced it earlier but none of the alternatives appealed to me. When Firefox finally started being useable a couple of years back Dolphin got sidelined then dumped.

2. chasil

Good? It was NEVER good.

Dolphin is just a rebadged-Webkit.

Lollipop is the first OS release where the Webkit can receive upgrades from the Play store. In earlier versions, /system/lib/libwebcore.so *CANNOT* be modified, nor can the TLS implementation.

Most browser just put new UI controls around the existing webkit. You can imagine that the older versions have some severe security problems, as Apple patched 100 security bugs in 2015 alone.

Take Dolphin on Jellybean and point it at http://ssllabs.com - you will see the STRONGEST recommendation to upgrade your browser, but you cannot.

The safest browsers on Android include their own rendering engine, and that engine is not Webkit.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"El Reg has reached out ... "

Oh dear Lord, not you too!

1. Chris Evans

ElReg spouting business gobbledygook!

"Reached out", "Moving forward" etc. What horrible big business gobbledygook phrases! Does ElReg you really wish to portray such a faceless disinterested image?

http://wadds.co.uk/2015/11/11/business-jargon-love-hate-words-phrases-avoid/

4. Teiwaz

Wait, there's a browser called 'Dolphin'?

Initially confused due to 'Dolphin' the Wii/Gamecube emulator and 'Dolphin' the KDE File Manager.

If they were intent on bloating their software up, the least they could do was rename it 'Whale'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wait, there's a browser called 'Dolphin'?

they didn't have time to rename it.

Its being pulled away in the tuna nets of advertising funding and will probably be eaten by the Japanese. And dolphin is a nice cute name to appeal, but the kittens brower may not have had mass market appeal...

1. Teiwaz

Re: Wait, there's a browser called 'Dolphin'?

Kitten browser.

Wouldn't that be just, well, fluffy?

As to mass market appeal...

Kitten browser = optimised for funny cat videos

Pussy browser = optimised for the other 90% of the internet

For dealing with the government, and other predatory websites, I'd recommend

Greebo browser = For when you have to match like for like.

5. Cynical Observer
    Alert

Contrite?

Was curious -as a Dolphin User, I'd had no recollection of the forced Add-Ons. Just looked now and the following is on the Play Store page for Dolphin

What's New

Note: So Sorry for force addon installed. This issue has been resolved. Please uninstall and reinstall Dolphin from Play Store to fix it. Please Give Me one More Chance."

Interesting to see a developer respond so quickly to negative feedback - but perhaps it is time to have a look around at other browsers. Hopefully there's a better selection than the last time I looked - about 2 years ago.

1. oneeye

Re: Contrite?

Take Firefox for a nice long drive. On Android, I use as my daily driver. Also, Brace is a pretty good product that merged with Link Bubble. And there are several adblocking browsers too, bedsides the ones I like best. Firefox though, has the most useful features, and add-ons enough to make it feel like a desk top.

2. dcathjlmif

Re: Contrite?

To late, I am now test driving Puffin and Firefox both look good but likely to go with Firefox

1. DropBear

Yeah, well, I have a tiny tiny issue with Firefox...

"This app has access to:

Device & app history

read your Web bookmarks and history

Identity

add or remove accounts

find accounts on the device

Contacts

find accounts on the device

precise location (GPS and network-based)

Photos/Media/Files

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

read the contents of your USB storage

Storage

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

read the contents of your USB storage

Camera

take pictures and videos

Microphone

record audio

Wi-Fi connection information

view Wi-Fi connections

Other

download files without notification

read sync statistics

install shortcuts

control vibration

use accounts on the device

draw over other apps

control Near Field Communication

read sync settings

connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi

create accounts and set passwords

toggle sync on and off

prevent device from sleeping

view network connections

modify system settings

full network access

uninstall shortcuts"

...Hey, here's an idea - how about network and storage access and nothing more?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Meh

Re: Yeah, well, I have a tiny tiny issue with Firefox...

Some of those make sense.

About a 1/3 of those could be easily covered by a typical Facebook user. Take photos, geo-location, access storage, bookmarks and many more.

Prevent from sleeping? Watching a video?

But I agree, many are dodgy.

3. Zolko Silver badge

alternatives

CM-browser, Opera-mini are those I use. Sometimes Firefox or Dolphin. Chrome is also installed, only use it if I don't care Google spying on me

6. David Roberts

Least bad?

I'm using Dolphin because Chrome doesn't adblock and Firefox seems snail like.

However Dolphin has been very crashy recently so I may try elsewhere.

Are they now all getting to be skins of the same engine and thus having much the same problems?

1. arobertson1

Re: Least bad?

"Crashy" is an understatement - try insecure. Test the browser at SSLlabs / Fortify and Panopticlick. Then use Firefox with appropriate addons - Adblock Plus, Blender, Canvas Fingerprint Blocker, Ghostery, H264ify, HTTPS Everywhere, No Resource URI Leak & No Script. Miraculously the internet speeds up a lot!

1. David Roberts

Re: Least bad? Bootnote

Now back on Firefox as it seems to be behaving better.

We shall see.

Dolphin with ad blocker sucks.

Keyboard on Firefox posting to El Reg used to be a problem. Let's see how it goes this time.

2. Trixr

Re: Least bad?

Atlas is a great Android browser, but it's in abandonware land now. No updates for nearly 2 years, alas. I still use it, because the single-click to disable JavaScript is the best (paid version lets you save sites that should default to JS-disabled). It's also got a decent ad-blocker built in. And it's very light.

I wish the writer would revitalise it, because it does have some slight bugs that need fixing - it crashes on me maybe once a month. And there are probably some security holes (not that I use it to logon to anything other than comment forums).

I tried FF again recently, but meh. As is Chrome.

7. PassiveSmoking
    Coat

Dolphin Translator app

Eck eck eck squeak whistle click click click eck *

* So long and thanks for all the fish

8. get off

Permissions writ across all the browsers..

It's often a case of horses for courses I find with browsers.

Access to camera/location/mic/accounts etc features across many of the mobile browsers.

- Boat Browser 24mb - used to be very good for flash but has many of the permissions listed above

- Fennec FF 43mb from F-droid has fewer and F-Droid advise against FF for droid. Again though - camera/mic (this was for uploading pics, wasn't that the idea behind the camera permission? and install shortcuts.. Issue with that is what exactly?

- Lightening 6.2mb (again on F-droid) - 5 permissions (location, read bookmarks, modify SD, network access & shortcuts). These are toggleable and it does have a 'Remove headers' option , built in Ad blocker, inbuilt support for Orbot Proxy support and I2P

- mBrowser (super lightweight 1.8mb) Only has SD card and Network access

- Puffin - 43mb Won't play iplayer flash, cos it runs it through their non UK proxy - 7 permissons. Including 'Google play licence check' so that's a phone home you may not like. 'Record Audio'.....!

- Tint browser 1.73mb - 3 permissions

Orfox itself for the Para - 37mb - 6 permissions but part of Orbot (Tor)

And my Desktop and now droid fav. Still very partial to Lightening (tiny and does stuff) but I don't understand the Navigation as well. Good combination of things it will do (flash) and features is..........Palemoon for Android. It's only recent really this one - 30mb. Again 10 permissions including camera but I just 'trust' it and the Dev.

As I say though, some will do one thing and not another so you end up with several. I'm tempted to give Opera another whirl, just 'cos... the little guy. More impressed with their Dev desktop offering of late.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like