back to article Maybe China's on to something: Clickbait articles now need to be 'verified' by officials

China has stepped up its online censorship efforts with a declaration that from now on all news stories will need to be "verified" for accuracy. The Cyberspace Administration of China (CAC) has published new rules that say websites should not publish unverified news stories from social media outlets. "It is forbidden to use …

1. ChubbyBehemoth

Facts with Chinese Characteristics

I wonder if these stories will need to be based on scientific fact with an independent peer review or just by the ministry of truth. In the latter case you can still ask your uncle Wu how many red envelopes he would like to see.

2. Mephistro

On the other hand...

... Trump and Murdoch would love to have control of this Ministry of Truth.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

OMG! They want to kill teh internetz!

But seriously - while I'd love to live in a world of news that are well researched, verified, undistorted and truthful, I somehow can't shake the feeling that the CAC's intentions aren't entirely altruistic. Look up the term Gleichschaltung.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

Chinese censors scupper El Reg's income with this one weird trick!

5. Baldy50

Already happening folks!

Reading an arTicle online laTe on in the evening abouT anoTher nine or Ten Syrians suing the US gov over illegal deTenTion and claims of TorTure, I wonT menTion which paper iT was buT buT basically The screen refreshed and I was back aT The home page.

Tried To find The sTory again buT iT did noT exisT any more on Their siTe.

An online friend posTulaTed someone high up had asked for iT To be removed To avoid embarrassmenT To The US gov.

Like the story of the ETIHAD crew visiting France to have a play with their new airbus and whilst doing some engine power tests got fed up of the warning alarm and pulled the breaker controlling it.

Unfortunately for them it also held the emergency brakes on as well sending the crew and the plane through a very thick concrete wall breaking it in half.

Story not reported here again so as not to cause embarrassment to the gov concerned.

BTW the pics are hilarious.

1. Mephistro

Re: Already happening folks!

Have you tried the Internet Archive?

Use the date when you read it and some text/names you remember from the article, and please post the link if you find something, and thank you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't get what you're trying to convey with those capital T's, and I downvote that which I do not get.

3. Mephistro

"Like the story of the ETIHAD crew visiting France..."

I found this regarding that incident. An interesting read. Lots of similar articles in aviation sites, if you care to Google them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Heh. Don't believe everything you read on internet. Unless it's a good story, then believe away.

6. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Listening to rumours...

... is treasonous, Citizen!

Mine's the Ultraviolet coat.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There goes my Satire website I only claimed Borris was txxx

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jinping

I know we call our great lost leader "Boris" but in China they are more formal. Family name first, so the Chinese leader is Mr. Xi, not Mr. Jinping.

9. vir

Didn't they have a problem with dodgy "treatments" and fake "cures" being peddled through clickbait and the like? Ah yes, here it is:

Snake oil ads land China's top search engine in trouble

Maybe the new policy is influenced somewhat by this?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like