back to article Mozilla emits nightly builds of heir-to-Firefox browser engine Servo

Mozilla has started publishing nightly in-development builds of its experimental Servo browser engine so anyone can track the project's progress. Executables for macOS and GNU/Linux are available right here to download and test drive even if you're not a developer. If you are, the open-source engine's code is here if you want …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Ever Happened To...

Coding to W3C standards?

When I code to it, the page looks the same on everything, no matter how obscure, or in Firefoxes case, irrelevant Chrome clone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What Ever Happened To...

Yeah, coding to standards went out of fashion, especially among large companies.

Then there's the companies that never modernized, and never will because management requires IE6 support till the heat death of the universe.

Semi-relevent XKCD: https://xkcd.com/1605/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Coding standards got thrown out the window when the "web developers" decided HTML5 should be a constantly changing tag soup.

3. Teiwaz

"Coding to W3C standards?"

What? Was that ever a thing for most webpages?

From what I've seen we went from amateur in the 90's to slap dash 'just get it up and hope' in the early 2000's boom (with flash). Various browser primacy wars certainly haven't helped.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Standards? Standards are so last century. Just like quality control and testing.

Why do hate capitalism and free markets and disruptive tech that changes paradigms by leveraging synergies and repurposing assets?

Because it's all crap is not an answer.

Oh wait... yes it is.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

My bad. I forgot the /sarcasm tag. Like this:

Standards? Standards are so last century. Just like quality control and testing.

Why do you hate capitalism and free markets and disruptive tech that changes paradigms by leveraging synergies and repurposing assets?

/sarcasm

There. Everyone got that now?

2. James 51
  3. Bronek Kozicki

Rust is not something for novices to pick up and quickly bash out code on.

I disagree. Having a good look at the language, it is exactly the right language for a novice programmer to quickly bash the code, as long as (s)he leaves habits from other languages before the door. Of course a new programmer may be slightly impeded by limited choice of available libraries ...

4. Alistair
    Linux

Hmmm.

Using old libssl/libcrypto on build hosts?

servo]$ ldd ./servo |grep 'not found'

libssl.so.1.0.0 => not found

libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => not found

system is at 1.0.2h

will have to build from source to see.

1. lleres

Re: Hmmm.

Probably just not in your lib path. The actual version of the library is linked to the API compatible release to avoid having to have the exact same version that the application was linked with, ie link exists for example /usr/lib/libssl.so -> libssl.so.1.0.0

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm.

Stuff like the JS engine and crypto libraries are details to be worried about after the browser engine is complete. They aren't pitching this as a product, just an engine - over which they helpfully threw a basic HTML interface on to insure it actually gets some testing.

I'm happy to see Mozilla is looking beyond the hoary bloated Firefox/Gecko world to the future, with security being considered from day one. The article doesn't say but I think it is safe to assume it has been designed with threading in mind from day one as well, considering that even phones have multiple cores these days.

Hopefully in a couple years Firefox will go away and be replaced by a superior product, just like the product named Mozilla went away and was replaced by the superior product at the time, Firefox.

5. tony2heads
    Joke

doge

much shiny

very rusty

1. batfastad

Re: doge

still love that meme

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Headmaster

Minor quibble

Just use "MacOS" when referring to Apple's desktop OS. The article tries to go with Apple's trademark of "macOS" and reverts back to OS X in the next paragraph.

Just keep it simple because: "obvious always works".

7. a_yank_lurker

Kicking the tires

I am interested in both Rust and Servo and will be kicking the tires occasionally with Servo. Sounds like an interesting project.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me get my hands on the idiot

that combined the address bar and the search bar into one.

Stop with this idiot chromification already!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let me get my hands on the idiot

This is an engine, not a product. The interface it has now only exists to support easier testing.

1. Mark 85

Right... but at some point as with many things in the past and present, someone will say "Why redo it? I works just fine." And so it goes...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If so, given that the interface is HTML, it will be incredibly easy to replace it with one that includes a separate search bar or whatever else you want.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Why redo it? I works just fine."

That's not the Firefox mantra... "If it works today, fuck it up tomorrow because our users love to be pissed-off. And we don't care."

2. Nolveys

I wish I had more up votes for you.

I don't mind the drop down with suggestions, but once I press enter the browser should try to resolve whatever I have entered and that's it. If I enter the host name "clatto" then the browser should try to resolve "clatto", not "clatto.com", not "www.clatto.com" and it sure as hell shouldn't do a damn web search for "clatto".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Try SeaMonkey. You know, that thing that existed before FireFox when they decided it was too bloated. Now FF is bloated and we get Servo!

9. beep54
    Happy

he he

"...mildly popular sites..."

10. James O'Shea

Rust sleeps

It seems that Servo on Macs has a bit of a problem with websites which serve up grayscale images. The little blue 'processing' bar proceeds part way and stops and never starts again. And the image never loads. And Servo itself freezes solid. Does not respond to mouse clicks, keyboard, anything except going to Activity Monitor and doing a force quit. Note that it doesn't display the Spinning Pizza of Death, it doesn't show as being unresponsive in AM, it just doesn't respond. Strangest thing I've seen this week. Where do I report bugs? There are at least two web pages listing bugs, but I seem to have missed where to make the report in the first place. Examination of the bug lists indicates that I may not be alone in detecting Servo freezes, though maybe I'm alone in finding freezes related to grayscale images.

Hey, hey, my, my, Servo freezes and will not die

unless forced

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rust sleeps

Never!

-- Neil.

11. 27escape

Poor keyboard support

Does not like a UK keyboard @ for starters, then tab ordering is not respected, if they cannot manage the basics, then I am not surprised that more complex sites do not work

One to watch but not use, for ages maybe

12. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Rust vs Shooting yourself in the foot?

They need to add a line for Rust here.

Maybe just copy the one from Pascal:

The compiler won't let you shoot yourself in the foot.

by the sound of things. I might give this language a spin at some time.

13. sabroni Silver badge

Executables for macOS and GNU/Linux

Hipsters only?

14. Florida1920
    Thumb Up

We're good to go

As long as eBay and El Reg render well, what else matters?

15. Astara

Amazon site uses "bleeding edge" code...

Amazon is the only site I use semi-regularly (usually more than once per month) that has triggered multiple browser crashes on their site (most often on their "welcome page").

Sometimes, I can't even type in the item I am searching for (while it attempts auto-completion) before it crashes which leads me to using Google to find the item (or class or type of item) with a "site:amazon.com" appended to the search to circumvent amazon's front page.

It's not surprising that that a new browser might have problems with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like