back to article US Patent Office rains on Dell's 'cloud computing' trademark

Dell's grip on a "cloud computing" trademark may not be as solid as it first seemed. The US Patent Office has canceled its "notice of allowance" on the Round Rock computer vendor's attempt to master the popular IT buzzword. Passing the "allowance" step in the trademark process had meant that opponents could no longer object to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Erik Aamot

Amazing ..

"It would seem someone working for the USPTO was stuck by thunderbolt of rationality."

maybe USPTO could re-examine Microsloth's Windows™ ..

nah .. much too rational for US gov'ment work .. oh well ..

2. David
    Gates Horns

I used the word Dell before they did.

Back in the 70s I ate this really nice meal and came up with the term Dell icious.

I'm thinking about legal action.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I used the word Dell before they did

I've often used it when referring to a small secluded wooded valley.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My grandfather used the word Dell before they did

from a centuries old nursery rhyme with Ding and Dong in it (and something about Pussies and Wells also)

Also Sun, Apple, Bell, Orange, McDonalds, Ford, Virgin, and HP, even though he died in 1967

And Unix (well, it was eunuchs but he had an accent but it seems fitting)

5. Tsu Dho Nimh

The Farmer used Dell before they did.

Didn't he?

6. Solomon Grundy
    Gates Horns

Stupid Term

Resistance to the "cloud computing" term was not futile and resistance to this silly term continues to build. Everyone is going to laugh about "cloud computing" in a few years (months) when some new term comes along and does away with it. I can't wait.

This is just mainframe computing all over again. Nothing special. Nothing to see here.

7. BioTube

Mainframe computing?

Of course it ain't! Everything's in The Cloud on THEIR mainframe.

But seriously, the idea's existed since the fifties or sixties. Look up Multics.

8. Norfolk Enchants Paris

I bet

That the term has been used in meteorological circles since they first got their hands on CPU time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like