back to article UN council: Seriously, nations, stop switching off the damn internet

The United Nations officially condemned the practice of countries shutting down access to the internet at a meeting of the Human Rights Council on Friday. A resolution [PDF] entitled The promotion, protection and enjoyment of human rights on the Internet effectively extends human rights held offline to the internet. It was …

1. Dr Stephen Jones

World to UN:

"You and whose army?"

Putin's going to be quaking in his boots now.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: World to UN:

UN Tried the Army approach. The result is Korea as we know it.

The no-army approach has been frustrating slow, but on the overall more successful. Granted - it sometimes takes a couple of decades for it to work, but it does.

1. asdf

Yeah when an organization can show up in Haiti and actually make the place worse with new disease not to mention flooding Africa with pedophile peace keepers who stand by and watch civilians get slaughtered maybe its best they just sit and talk instead of do. That includes their blacks and serbs only war crimes court.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Without the army approach, the whole Korea would be under the "Dear Fat Leader" (and many of them under a meter of dirt) . Guess those living in South Korea are very happy it didn't happen. The no-army approach never worked anywhere.

Oh well, Apple probably would be happier without Samsung...

1. oldcoder

Actually, the "no army" approach did work - at least once: India gained its independence from the British Empire that way.

1. Andy 97

Yes, that and the crushing debt and calamity from fighting a major war and the pressure from the US too.

2. Kurt Meyer

@ Dr Stephen Jones

""You and whose army?"

Putin's going to be quaking in his boots now."

Reminiscent of Uncle Joe; "How many divisions does the Pope have?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That sentence is attributed to Stalin, sorry... his "mighty" URSS eventually crumbled under its inefficiency.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

speaking of Uncle Joe, Len McCluskey was on TV this morning comparing Jeremy Corbyn and Joseph Vissarionovich. "Man of Steel" applies to both, apparently.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and where is the Soviet Union Now and where is the Vatican?

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Putin's going to be quaking in his boots now."

I think the general opinion of Putin's predecessors and like-minded dictators elsewhere since 1945 is that the answer to "whose army" has always been Uncle Sam and his NATO friends. That's why they don't take too kindly to NATO expanding its membership in their general direction.

With reference to the topic of the article, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights) is *far* more than many countries have been willing to grant and it is hardly a modern creation. This latest vote looks like no more than a natural extension into the web domain of previously declared rights.

So it probably won't change much in the short term, but it is nice to have the principle explicitly re-stated.

4. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Stop

The list of opposing countries makes sense

Once you realize it isn't based on authoritarianism, but corruption.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The list of opposing countries makes sense

well, it's both ...

5. TheVogon

"You and whose army?"

NATO probably. Give it a few more years and everything in Europe bordering Russia will probably be a member...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

The West: An open and free internet so Silicon Valley can data mine in peace (other than the occasional warrantless secret intrusions "free" governments request) .

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: hmm

That is one side of the coin.

The other one is declaring as the Devil ones we do not like while declaring as friendlies ones that are slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun. Like the current Indian government for example.

3. Mark 85

So Iran needs to stop shutting down the Internet during student exams time? <tongue firmly planted in cheek>

1. John R. Macdonald

Iraq not Iran.

4. DropBear

No offense, but I pity the fool who thinks India is all that Zen and Kumbaya about anybody's rights to anything...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

yep

Mob lynchings for eating beef makes you realize you really did win the lottery of life not being the 1 in 5 (approx) people born there.

2. Daniel von Asmuth
      Thumb Up

Surprise!

A pro-human-rights motion that was actually passed by a majority of nations.

1. Hans 1

Re: Surprise!

>A pro-human-rights motion that was actually passed by a majority of nations.

+1, though seriously watered-down, thanks to "democracies" like India, South Africa, and Russia ... and despotic regimes like China etc ...

5. Herby

And this is the UN...

That wants to take over ICANN?

Maybe ICANN needs an army? You never know.

Welcome to graft and corruption. Oh, sorry the internet exposes that, never mind.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Theresa's CCTV for Internet?

What, no mention of Theresa Mays Snooper's Charter? The CCTV that's watching you reading the internet in your home? Spying on your private online lives. Listening in on your conversations? The one Theresa May, dropped in for a vote in the middle of Brexit, so that nobody would challenge it, and risk attack from their Brexit opponents?

That one?

Ahh, yes, it's there too:

"Recognizing that privacy online is important for the realization of the right to freedom of expression and to hold opinions without interference, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association..."

7. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Deal With Personal Freedoms and Human Rights!

Totalitarian Loser States!

If it's totalitarian, it's a FAIL.

8. energystar
    Holmes

Can't less than feel love...

For the actual UN writing.

But wonder if this writing isn't itself being insular. After all: Is it an statement of intention? Does a 'double discourse' remain inside?

Maybe all what those rebels are trying to do is being honest [on the letter] about an Actual Status Quo.

9. Crazy Operations Guy

India, Indonesia and, South Africa don't surprise me in the least

India has been trying their damnedest to hide the massive amount of crimes perpetrated against women and homosexuals. Woman are constantly being raped, and in some area, they are stoned to death for "tempting a righteous man into sin" if they complain. As for homosexuals, well, I'd be thrown in prison for life the second I step on Indian soil since I was found guilty, in absetia, of 20 violations of IPC-377 (Fuck you Imperial Britain for bringing that along with you). I had helped with organizing the Seattle Gay Pride Parade a few years back and wanted to help out with establishing on in Chennai. Found out that the local politicians didn't take to kindly to what I was doing and ordered my arrest, barely made it onto the plane and out of Indian airspace before the warrant went through and my visa was cancelled.

As for Indonesia, they have this massive slave problem going on that they've been trying to cover up. The fishing fleets use, almost exclusively, slave labor for the crews. There is also wide-spread issues with child abuse, and epidemic levels of crimes against women.

South Africa still has quite a lot of corruption and severe race issues remaining from Apartheid. Ethnic cleansing still occasionally happens in the rural areas, and even in the major population centers, large swathes of the police forces and quite a few low-level politicians are unabashed racists.

1. DavCrav

Re: India, Indonesia and, South Africa don't surprise me in the least

You stay classy, person who downvoted man nearly imprisoned for life for being gay.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: India, Indonesia and, South Africa don't surprise me in the least

"large swathes of the police forces and quite a few low-level politicians are unabashed racists"

They sure are - ever since the end of apartheid - when the extremely shoulder chipped black majority gradually took many of these roles...

10. NotBob
    Thumb Up

Against UN policies

That'll stop 'em

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Currently holidaying in Russia, rather confused that I can't access a couple of innocuous websites. My mobile phone provider for example, tried from different devices and ISPs (via WiFi not mobile data 'cos of roaming rates)

12. adam payne

A resolution that I'm sure that most of the objecting countries will ignore.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

South Africa a democracy?

Don't make me laugh....

1. Hans 1
      Coat

Re: South Africa a democracy?

UK a democracy ? Don't make me laugh ...

See, I can do the same, there is no true democracy on this planet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon