back to article Hubble spies rare cosmic tadpole galaxy

The Hubble telescope has captured images of a rare tadpole galaxy glittering with bursts of star formation, swimming in the black pond of space. In a collaboration between NASA and the European Space Agency, the telescope was used to take high-resolution images of cosmic objects across a range of wavelengths. Hubble has taken …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tadpole eh? Hmmm.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

To me it looks more it could be splooge from Great A'Tuin.

To paraphrase Dave Bowman;

"My God. It's full of tadpoles!"

Coat. Gone.

2. Mark 85

Knee deep???

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

but no indication how far away it is?

not that it greatly matters but inquiring minds and all... So, what is the size of the "local universe" in any acceptable ReSUMe*?

*Register Standard Units of Measurement

1. richardcox13
      Boffin

Re: but no indication how far away it is?

If you look at section 2 of the paper it says 24.5 Mpc.

For this purpose I'll round that to 25 Mpc. Which is 7.714e+23m.

IIRC one linguine is 15cm so that's 5.14e24 linguine, so – just so I can use the prefix – 5.1 Yottalinguine.

1. Fingerless Pyro
        Joke

Re: but no indication how far away it is?

Now that's a yotta linguine!

3. Pompous Git Silver badge

It it gently rotating at a speed of 35-40 kilometres per second

Now there's a revolutionary measure of rotational speed. I wonder how many kilometres per second my vinyl LPs rotate at.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Hello, Pompous Git

That's not that hard to work out, and not that a revolutionary measure of rotational speed.

Our galaxy does things like this:

Our solar system orbits the center of the Milky Way galaxy. Our sun and solar system move at about 800 thousand kilometers an hour – that’s about 500 thousand miles an hour – in this huge orbit. So in 90 seconds, for example, we all move some 20,000 kilometers – or 12,500 miles – in orbit around the galaxy’s center.

It takes the sun approximately 225-250 million years to complete one journey around the galaxy’s center

And as far as I remember our galaxy moves at 2 million km/h (somewhere).

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Hello Lars

If we assume the very centre of the disk (actually a hole) is stationary relative to the universe, then its linear motion is 0 km/h. Its rotational speed is however 33 1/3 rpm. The edge of the disk is also rotating at 33 1/3 rpm, but its linear motion is X km/h where X=some positive value I can't be arsed calculating. There would appear to be an infinite number of points on the disk moving at an infinite number of different speeds. Simpler methinks to express rotational values as rotations per unit of time than as some arbitrary linear speed.

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

@Lars: "Our galaxy does things like this"

Lars,

If only there was a some way to put such useful information into an easy to remember format like, for example, a song or something.

1. The Nazz

Re: @Lars: "Our galaxy does things like this"

Excellent.

The animated graphic had me laughing out loud, again after all these years.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Then again, if you really want galactic rotation expressed in revolutions per minute you're going to need a shitload of zeroes after the decimal point.

Either that, or you're going to have to hang on really tightly.

4. Black Betty

Blue equals new.

Each of those bubbles in the tail is a star forming region, rather vigorous ones by the looks of it. I doubt that life has much of a toehold there.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Tadpole

So where are the Frog (Star) Galaxys?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like