back to article EU Investment Bank will honour pre-Brexit deals – but don't gamble on new ones happening

The EU bank that has poured more than £34bn (€42bn) over 10 years into UK projects will honour its existing deals in the wake of last week’s Brexit vote. Projects signed off on in fields such as engineering, education and R&D are not in jeopardy, the European Investment Bank has told The Register. The EIB’s most recent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chemistry is fun

... R&D on Co2 emissions ...

Co<sub>2</sub> is a diatomic molecule, consisting of two Cobalt atoms. I doubt it is a significant contributor to industrial emissions, unless you have some seriously exotic chemistry going on.

On the other hand, CO<sub>2</sub> is carbon dioxide - a triatomic molecule, consisting of a Carbon atom sandwiched between two Oxygen atoms. It is indeed a major pollutant and a greenhouse gas.

Chemistry is one of those places where case is highly significant, and should not be treated lightly.

Now if el Reg's allowed HTML subset for comments included the subscript tag, life would have been perfect ...

1. David Webb

Re: Chemistry is fun

Co2 CO2

You can get it if you really try?

(once you get a certain amount of posts they enable HTML or something)

1. g e
        Angel

Indeed

Once you reach El Reg SuperStatus then you subscripts will work as iffe by magicke

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Indeed

Good grief so they do

1. phil 27

yea gods, 21st century version of blink tag back from dead.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I miss the blink tag a bit. It was great for telling people to fuck off...a red flashing fuck off in otherwise plain text is just so satisfying, somehow.

2. tony2heads
              Coat

I think you mean 21st century

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: Chemistry is fun

Chemistry is one of those places where case is highly significant, and should not be treated lightly.

Science in general is one of those places, as long as you're using a modern system of units like SI.

For instance claiming that you have a 100mb/s internet connection at home is not going to impress anyone who understands the technology ;)

2. Dr Stephen Jones

Brexit bonus

However you voted, managing the costs of building our infrastructure ourselves is one of the bonuses. The 34 billion is less than 3 years net contribution by the UK, and about 20 months gross.

Try Googling "European Investment Bank" and "corruption" to get an idea of how much fraud and waste goes on. By contrast we sort of managed to do the Olympics on budget and on time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

London Olympic fudget

By contrast we sort of managed to do the Olympics on budget and on time.

Yes, but in good part by pretending that the actual cost was the budget:

The original budget for the Games was £2.4 billion ($3.94 billion USD), but this was increased almost fourfold to about £9.3 billion ($15.28 billion USD) in 2007.[77] The revised figures were announced to the House of Commons on 15 March 2007 by Tessa Jowell.

The lesson here is that nobody has the monopoly on bureaucratic inefficiency and corruption. Not even Brussels.

2. nsld

Re: Brexit bonus @ Dr Jones

"Try Googling "European Investment Bank" and "corruption" to get an idea of how much fraud and waste goes on. By contrast we sort of managed to do the Olympics on budget and on time."

Are you a Doctor of Bistromath?

If by "on budget" you mean an everchanging budget which magically meets the final price then yes, unfortunately thats not how budgets work.

All governmental organisations have levels of corruption from Parish councils upwards but try to erect an SEP around the Olympics (think G4S) isn't going to fly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brexit bonus

Erm just because a project is funded by the bank doesn't mean its not managed by us. So your point is a bit off. Also I thought all our contributions were going to be spent on the NHS....?

4. Ucalegon

"The 34 billion is less than 3 years net contribution by the UK, and about 20 months gross."

Do you have a citation for that? Only asking because our net contribution appears to be at most £9.4 billion (2014) but as low as £4.3bn (2009) in recent history and more like 6.6 as an average. Estimates for total, direct net, contribution to the EU between 1973 and 2010 appears to be £77 billion. If that figure can be trusted (source UKIP) that EIB money is half our net contribution a mere 5 years ago?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And don't go on about Brussels, the EIB is situated inside Luxembourg, although technically I think it's its own country in some sort of artificial way.....

5. Roland6 Silver badge

However you voted, managing the costs of building our infrastructure ourselves is one of the bonuses.

I note you omit the rather fundamental component of sourcing capital with which to fund the project you are wanting to manage.

As others have pointed out, there is no guarantee that the UK government will be able to or wish to fund the variety of projects that the EIB funds. Personally, and from my experience of government and EU funding, if my business was eligible for EIB funding, I would go for it whilst it was still available; there is no certainty that a UK government going through the trauma of exit and then finding its feet in the new world, will be offering anything other than bare minimum funding - and that is assuming that you can all the people who need to sign anything off around the same table at the same time, all with pens in their pockets and ink in the pens...

3. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

"...the two-year cycle of Article 50"

A cycle it isn't. This is no trial run.

4. Alan Brown Silver badge

yes but

Stuff that was under negotiation has been "reset" at best.

And this is just the EIB. Other stuff which was being negotiated has just "gone away". The impact on UK university research is major, as uk.gov was putting bugger-all in directly.

Expect to see a lot of layoffs in UK research over the next 6 months.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: yes but

"The impact on UK university research is major, as uk.gov was putting bugger-all in directly."

Yes, I think that's the biggest conundrum. EU money has been going to areas/places/orgs at EU behest, was it the right places and what will gov.uk do instead? Would gov.uk have invested in National Grid for example? Will gov.uk put science research money to good use?

My personal feeling is that despite the corruption in the EU, money has been spent in parts of the UK that a london-centric gov.uk would not spend money, or at least not as much. It's a real toughy to call.

5. Steve 129

A contract is a contract !!

So, "will honour its existing deals"...

As they should !!! A contract is a contract and unless there was something specific in there that said "If Britain leaves the EU" or some such language then nothing has changed in terms of the contract!!

6. Sirius Lee

It's not the EU Investment Bank

My guess is the author is a remainer who just can't help but look for every clue that leaving is a disaster. The name of the entity is the European Investment Bank. There's a difference and the relevant part is that the real name does not contain the word Union. From their 'Projects' page:

"European Union Member States receive about 90% of our financing, but we also work with more than 150 other partner countries in support of EU external assistance policy."

There 'Structure' page has more relevant information:

"The EIB funds its operations by borrowing on the capital markets rather than drawing on the EU budget. The Bank enjoys decision-making independence within the EU’s institutional system.

"The EIB’s management and control structures reflect this independence and allow it to take lending decisions solely on the basis of a project’s merits, and tailor borrowing in line with the best opportunities available on the financial markets."

So they borrow money from capital markets. Therefore they must make a return. If lenders have confidence in the shareholders, they will lend at rates that are competitive. So the board of directors has to decide whether having the European country of Great Britain as a member allows them to secure funds at a better rate or not.

My guess is that Britain is still an asset to the bank and as a result there will be no motivation or appetite for a change in shareholders. Plus, do any of the other countries really want to put up funds that could be spent on domestic priorities in order to buy Britain's share? Would Britain?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: It's not the EU Investment Bank

Done right, leaving the EU could be fantastic for the UK. However you have touching faith in the UK's PTB given what's been going on over the past week.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: It's not the EU Investment Bank

The problem is the EIB is owned by the EU members; so currently the UK is one of the 28 shareholders.

So the real problems begin to arise when the UK exits the EU, as to whether any UK projec will qualifly for new funding, given the objective of the EIB is to fund projects that further EU objectives.

I'm sure Nigel et al will be quite happy to continue funding an institution that is devoted to furthering the EU... Particularly if all those companies that wish to relocate out of the UK into the EU get funds from the EIB to assist them... :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like