back to article SWIFT hackers nick $10m from Ukraine bank

Hackers stole $10m from a Ukrainian bank by – yup, you guessed it – invading its computers and using the inter-bank transfer system SWIFT to shift their loot. The theft from an unnamed Ukrainian bank follows news of cyber-heists at other banks worldwide, most notoriously the lifting of $81m from an account held in New York …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simple solution: edit the accounts and put the money back.

A bit of quantitative easing. Nobody will notice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Hmmm

It's eerie, almost as if a real government were committing this crime...

2. Starace

So not a SWIFT hack then?

So they attacked the bank computers and the mechanism used was the normal one for all transfers.

So SWIFT as such wasn't hacked? A bit like saying 'Openreach hackers' when someone's private online banking gets hit.

I guess 'Ukraine bank hacked' isn't much of a headline so SWIFT is in there to spice it up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

SWIFT hackers nick $10m from Ukraine bank.

"Hackers stole $10m from a Ukrainian bank by – yup, you guessed it – invading its computers and using the inter-bank transfer system SWIFT to shift their loot."

Come off it, they didn't hack SWIFT and they didn't hack 'computers'. They hacked Windows desktops and used this to access the SWIFT financial messaging service .. 'internal terminals' 'ATM malware crooks'.. haaa

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SWIFT hackers nick $10m from Ukraine bank.

Semantics. The SWIFT system arguably extends to the terminal devices, networks and personnel authorised to use it. Without these SWIFT still exists as a central service but no money gets transferred. I don't know for sure but I'd expect the people who run SWIFT have the will and clout to ensure that these additional 'components' are up to scratch through compliance, due diligence and training and therefore if they aren't up to scratch SWIFT themselves may well have some responsibility.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like