back to article Facebook's new stalker tool

Any time Facebook's marketing and dev teams have a bright idea, the result is another privacy invasion. This time around, it's location services: the ad-farm has decided to suggest strangers as new friends partly based on where you are and where you've been. The Social NetworkTM app tracks the location of your smartphone to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just get rid of Facebook

You are their product and their revenue stream.

The only reason I have a FB account was due to a consulting project. I shut it down after I left, but FB wont delete the account ... ever...

2. Number6

Yet another reason not to install the FB app on your phone.

3. Mark 85

I smell lawsuits in the making the first time there's an assault, rape, etc.... This goes beyond "a bad idea".

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Great!

Now you can "friend" all your obnoxious neighbours and all those idiot coworkers you have been carefully avoiding! And all the funny guys from that gun store/tatoo parlour/sex shop/day clinic/etc next to the laundromat you use.

Also, groups like AA will be delighted.

Disruptive technology at it's best!

5. Ole Juul

Freedom of association?

More like random association. So now you can automatically be associated with someone you don't know. In fact you could be associated with someone who could be up to no good. This could be a good tool for Federal investigators looking for people to question. Perhaps you.

6. barstewardsquad
    Holmes

As seen on TV*

Sounds like the app at the centre of Betas ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3012184/ )

*Other viewing technologies are available

7. Just Enough

a natural extension

So this is just a natural extension of the "People you don't know" feature, where Facebook gives you a list of people that your friends barely know, in the bizarre belief that you might know them at all.

This will just be the "People no-one knows, but you may have seen them hanging about" feature. Or the "People you bloody well do know and spend your life avoiding" feature.

8. Buzzword

Mobile website

I was running out of space on my 16GB iPhone (thanks, Apple); so I deleted the Facebook app and started using the mobile website instead. It's surprisingly good. Even the no-Javascript version is good.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Yes..

..I finally get to know where that hot girl goes when she's not in the pub, what she likes to do and where she goes on a Friday. I can find out if she has kids and what she likes to drink

Saves having to do awkward things like actually talk to her as a human being.

No Joke Icon, because this is no joke, its fucking stupid.

1. Mark 85

Re: Yes..

And some of us used to jokingly call it "StalkerBook"... Joke's over.... it's here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No joke anymore, I've heard about people I know doing this. Creepy as hell.

ATTENTION HOT CHICKS: be sure to fill your Facebook and Twitters and Instagrams with lies so you know who these dweebs are. Or simply delete your accounts.

2. Sebastian A

Well if facebook suggests "You may know Jane Doe as you visit the same places frequently" then you've already got the most important piece of info, her name.

I really can't fathom the communal brainfarts that make it to production these days. In this thread alone people have listed a dozen scenarios where this is a horrible, horrible idea. Surely one level-headed middle manager somewhere could have said "Hold up a sec guys..."?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to mention...

Everyone on the train/bus to work each morning...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon