back to article Microsoft hops onboard bonk-to-pay bandwagon

Microsoft has launched its entry into the near-field communications (NFC) mobile payments space. The Microsoft Wallet app will allow Windows Mobile users whose phones are equipped with NFC hardware to link their bank accounts and credit cards to their handsets for retail transactions. Currently, the Wallet app is limited to a …

1. Hans 1
    Facepalm

Wow, a trial for the three Windows Phone users, great!

1. Mint Sauce

Sorry

It's only two now. I recently defected to Android...

Wanted to stay but MS seem to be doing their level best to shed customers.

1. 0laf

Re: Sorry

One, I'm going to Apple.

Same reasons. I still think the tile interface is the best.

They just fucked up everything else.

2. Stephen Hurd

Ah, it's finally back then?

When I first got my Windows 8 phone, it came with ISIS (later renamed to SoftCard) which allowed NFC payments at most retailers. People were amazed when I paid with my phone. Later, I got an email that said "We are pleased to let you know that Google has acquired technology from Softcard to power the next generation of mobile wallets. What does that mean for you? As of 3/31 [2015] your Softcard app will no longer work."

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Ah, it's finally back then?

Later, I got an email that said "We are pleased to let you know..."

Ah yes, the universal Weasel wording of big companies. Shaft the customer, but put a cherry on it and make it sound like you're doing them the biggest favour.

See also:

"To better serve you..." (we are raising our prices)

"We'd like to thank you for your loyal custom..." (by offering you a chance to spend even more money with us)

"We have some exciting news for you..." (your current service plan is being cancelled/raised in price)

Just once, I'd like to see a company be honest.

"We're not making enough money on this service, so we're raising your price. You're welcome to cancel if you want, but we know you have no realistic alternatives. Sucks to be you. Hahaha."

3. inmypjs Silver badge

Credit card number

I won't give google a credit card number providing a definite identity to associate with all the data about me they slurp.

I might have trusted Microsoft - until Win 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Credit card number

Yes, Microsoft adopting mobile payments now seems like they are trying to do what Google is doing. Get access to all that juicy purchase data, which they can correlate to Bing searches etc.

The big problem is, they seem to be doing everything they can to kill Windows Phone.

4. Mark 85

more-secure transactions with Microsoft Wallet

More secure than... what? There's no Wallet on my PC and I'll be damned if I'm putting one on the phone. Insanity at it's best given the history of things.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So Windows Mobile has a future?

Freely confessing I've lost the plot, but I'd formed the impression that it was dead-ish? Or is that just the Microsoft phones but the OS is expected to flourish on partner devices?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So Windows Mobile has a future?

the words

Dead Cat Bounce come to mind.

On a recent trip to the USA and in Washington State which happens to be the home of MS (apart from Tax Purposes when it is Nevada) I did not see anyone with a Windows mobile device. It was mostly Apple and in second place Android.

I saw one Surface Book in Oregon (Starbucks in Portland)

Yes, I know Starbucks is overpriced hipster juice but have you tried Gas Station Coffee at 06:00 in the morning? Be honest now.

2. Bod

Been declared dead for years but it's still there and very much being actively developed.

But yes, in terms actual phones being manufactured, Microsoft has essentially ended the Lumia line (Nokia phones). Lumia's were/are quite nice but too many very similar phones at the budget end. That doesn't stop them developing the OS, especially as it's the same core as desktop Windows 10 and others.

The only phone hardware from MS will likely be a Surface phone next year which will stand as a reference or single top end phone.

MS aren't looking to compete in the consumer market. They have no hope. That doesn't meant they can't still release a nice phone though, plus it may appeal more to the Surface market of professionals and corporates who are tied to MS.

3. Montreal Sean

Maybe they will give away a free phone when you create your Microsoft wallet.

Kind of like my bank which will give you an iPad Mini 2 for opening an account?

6. Sebastian A
    Joke

I've drilled a hole in my EFTPOS card to disable the paywave shite already. Do I now have to do the same to my phone?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

No, just install Windows 10 Mobile on it to render it useless.

7. joed

all eggs in one basket

I was wary to give Apply my cc info, gifted gift card worked well for that. Years later I'm even less inclined to hand off my payment info to a universal bully - not only would they try control my computing experience but also leverage their position into my finances. Sure.

8. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Like fitting wheels to a tomato

time-consuming and totally pointless

9. 0laf
    WTF?

And the point is?

Even those of us that liked Winpho have given up on it.

We're even giving up on it Corporately.

MS couldn't have done anything more to piss off it's customers if it tried. It's been a 5yr long bait and switch to get more customers for Apple and Google.

I hope Nadella's brown envelopes from Google are nice and thick, he's earned it.

10. Lance-Corporal Obvious

Apart from El Reg

Does anyone call NFC 'bonking'? I ask because I have picked it up, but everyone looks at me strangely when I ask if I can bonk with my credit card or phone

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like