back to article Genes take a shot at rebooting after death

In one of the creepiest bits of science Vulture South has ever encountered, a US scientist has identified 1,000 genes that become active after death. Not just immediately post-mortem, either: some of the genes in question, found in zebrafish, remained active four days after the fish died (and in mice, they were active two days …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Not sure at all

I'm wondering if they really will help with determining the time of death.

If people have any of these zebrafish genes, maybe the time of death winds up being next Tuesday.

Or I'm overthinking it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Don't look now, but...

...it seems we're all latent zombies.

Cool!

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Developmental genes that switch on after death, increasing the cancer risk of organ recipients - that's a bit like some creepy DRM mechanism to prevent reuse.

I wonder whether genes like that could also have some sort of impact in cloning.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Boffin

It makes sense to me. These genes would be active during development, but presumably during that development another gene comes along and turns them off (or else we would never stop growing).

If the death of the gene suppressing the development gene dies, and whilst there is still some energy left in the system, the development genes turn on again, but there isn't enough energy in the system to sustain the growth, so they end up dying too.

If we can identify the genes involved in the suppression, it could lead to things like limb re-regrowth, or spinal cord repair etc. - wow.

1. Chemist

"These genes would be active during development, but presumably during that development another gene comes along and turns them off (or else we would never stop growing)."

Well gene expression and control is a lot more complicated than that. And some gene products are often involved in both development and normal adult function - the differential effect is often due to which tissues the expression continues in. It's really very, very complicated.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Holmes

" It's really very, very complicated."

:) ---->>

I'm sure it is ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"It's really very, very complicated."

Gene expression is not just complex, it's also kludgy to the max. Why, it's almost as if the genes worked it all out themselves, randomly...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Activation or stopping of suppression?

"It looks almost like genes making a last-ditch attempt to keep things going"

I agree with SRS that, rather than the genes being activated in an attempt to combat death, they become reactivated because the processes that suppresses their activity ceases; rather than an attempt to keep things going, it is a sign that things are terminally broken.

Hmm... now what does that remind me of?

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: Activation or stopping of suppression?

Indeed - the empty car speeding past may be driving itself, or it may more simply have had brake failure on an incline.

The genetic code is hellaweird. e.g. There are probability-changing flags on the DNA spooling reels that govern which 'code' executes. One of them isn't so much "GOTO" as "don't not GOTO".

We're used to pushing a program along, because nothing otherwise happens. It's used to impeding and blocking things too, as there's no such thing for it as 'nothing otherwise happens' - it's a sea of competing chemical reactions.

4. RIBrsiq
    Holmes

Not as exciting, I know, but I'm thinking this is more "breakdown of cellular control mechanisms" and less "fear the living dead".

But certainly some more fiddling to find out what's going on is needed.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

less "fear the living dead"

For now.

We'll revisit that sentence once the fiddling has been successful.

5. Geoff Johnson

Not that surprising

These are probably just junk genes. Things only get evolved away if they have a detrimental effect during the useful lifetime of the organism.

1. Rich 11

Re: Not that surprising

If so, doesn't that make them zombie zombie genes?

2. Chemist

"Things only get evolved away if they have a detrimental effect during the useful lifetime of the organism."

Why do you think these genes have a detrimental effect during the living phase of an organism ? As they seems to include "immune system, inflammation, and responses to stress." genes. Many of the others may be switched on due to a breakdown in control as happens in, for example, cancer.

1. 's water music

Why do you think these genes have a detrimental effect during the living phase of an organism ?

I think that was Geoff's point. There isn't so there is no selection pressure to shape post-mortem gene into anything useful.

1. Chemist

"I think that was Geoff's point. There isn't so there is no selection pressure to shape post-mortem gene into anything useful."

He also said "These are probably just junk genes."

If they are "inflammatory, immune genes and responses to stress genes. " then they are essential not detrimental to the living phases

1. Grikath

"If they are "inflammatory, immune genes and responses to stress genes. " then they are essential not detrimental to the living phases"

Exactly this. In the living organism cell death plays a very significant role in ,for starters, development. Apoptose is a major mechanism, and in the end individual cells die al the time and need to be recycled in the living organism.

It makes sense that there is a genetic mechanism that kicks in after cell death.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Calling Mary Shelley

Anybody else get the feeling Dr. Frankenstein was onto something?

Yes, it's Friday, it's early, and that is my coat!

7. Mellipop

transcendence plot ending not that far fetched then

So perhaps genes are some other life form's creation?

8. Mage Silver badge

Passing on genes?

So dead creatures shouldn't be allowed to breed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Passing on genes?

Not unless you want huge evil-smelling crowds of soiled zombies coming out of your lavatory and infringing your personal freedoms.

9. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Terry pratchett quote

Granny Weatherwax:

" I aint ded"

10. Adrian Midgley 1

Or it is just broken

and thrashing about

11. Lotaresco

Immortality Inc

Blimey, Bob Sheckley's novel is real.

12. You aint sin me, roit
    Terminator

Zombies?

Explains why you should hang beef for at least 20 days!

13. Morrie Wyatt
    Angel

You have to wonder

Do these genes speak in small caps, and ride a horse named Binky?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like