back to article Germany: If Brits vote to Remain, we'll admit Hurst's 1966 goal was a goal

Germany’s premier tabloid Bild has vowed to fulfil a series of promises if the Brits vote to remain in the EU, chief among them admitting Geoff Hurst’s disputed 1966 World Cup goal was over the line. With tongue firmly in cheek, the national daily swing into action today to convince any stragglers - using the country’s …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

See what can happen when you work together?

Yes you may be annoyed that you can't buy a curvy cucumber, or that there are 105 regulations for pillows (which, actually, is bollocks), but you'll finally get Germany to acknowledge the winning 1966 World Cup Goal!

Brexit can't do that!

1. James 51

Re: See what can happen when you work together?

There aren't that many regulations on pillows. John Oliver exposed the manipulation of the facts required to come up with that number.

"There aren't that many regulations on pillows. John Oliver exposed the manipulation of the facts required to come up with that number."

I know. He spoke a lot of sense in that video, and the best thing about him he's a Brummie!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It is a pity more people here didn't see John Oliver's smug presentation here.

If you vote Leave, you are a racist xenophobe, was the "joke". He would have been a huge boost to the Leave campaign.

Better than Geldof.

"If you vote Leave, you are a racist xenophobe, was the "joke". He would have been a huge boost to the Leave campaign."

Didn't Boris Johnson, poster boy of the Leave campaign, say that Barack Obama was anti-English because he was born in Kenya? Of course, there is the underlying hilarity of Johnson being so against someone outside of the UK having an opinion on UK matters when Johnson was born in America.

And as for Geldof, the UK are happy to keep him. He thinks he's English anyway.

1. SkippyBing

'Didn't Boris Johnson, poster boy of the Leave campaign, say that Barack Obama was anti-English because he was born in Kenya?'

Only when he was quoting The Guardian. But of course when they say it it's fine.

2. Bob Vistakin
              FAIL

The Ethiopeans certainly love Geldof.

I asked Bob Keating, a superb young investigative reporter who had just started working with us, to look into this for a story. The assignment was simple — all this money had been raised, where was it going, was it actually doing good?

He discovered it was not doing good, but, horrifically, unimaginably, the exact opposite. The Ethiopian dictator, Mengistu, until then deadlocked in the war, was using the money the west gave him to buy sophisticated weapons from the Russians, and was now able to efficiently and viciously crush the opposition. Ethiopia, then the third poorest country in the world, suddenly had the largest, best equipped army on the African continent.

1. Bob Vistakin
                Facepalm

Turns out he's such a wanker someone on the actual boat he told the struggling fishermen to fuck off from has changed from voting in to out! Way to go asshole, why couldn't you have been more prominent from the start?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@James51

One most heartedly agrees ..

Absolute scandal those nasty bigoted brexiters were pedaling .. Our hardworking EU commissars haven't legislated 105 regulations for pillows at all !

There are only 19 eu regulations and 25 eu directives on pillows..eminently sensible indeed

One must conclude this should give us good reason to cancel the referendum result, as one can not possibly trust the plebians to understand the nuances of sophisticated political discourse at all.

It was thoroughly nauseating enough the voter franchise was extended in 1836, let alone this hideous exercise in direct democracy.

Vote Europa .. never need to vote again I say

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Michael Gove was enough to persuade me to vote remain.

1. Pen-y-gors

It's sooooo difficult....

every time I see or hear Gove or Johnson I decide to vote remain

Then every time I see or hear Cameron or Osborne i decide to vote leave.

My head is spinning!

1. alain williams Silver badge

My head is spinning!

As is mine ... and the reason is that most of the politicians have said almost anything to get people to vote the way that they want us to; regardless of evidence or consistency with previous assertions.

They disagree even facts that should not be hard to verify; just call each other liars rather than try to agree numbers (possibly with error bars).

The result is that I will take whatever they say with a larger dose of salt than I have in the past. Seriously: when one of them pronounces on something in the future - who will believe them if they do not come out with good evidence with all the points carefully attributed to an unimpeachable source ?

Politicians have become the big losers in this campaign, it will take a long time before I trust them again.

Actually: I suspect that many have been reasonable, but (as a result) have lacked media attention and have thus been ignored. Thus I (falsely) denigrate all politicians due to the antics of a few.

But that rant does little to help me decide which way to vote. I might spoil my ballot in protest.

1. kbb
            Trollface

You mean you trusted politicians before?!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

<i>It's sooooo difficult....

every time I see or hear Gove or Johnson I decide to vote remain

Then every time I see or hear Cameron or Osborne i decide to vote leave.

My head is spinning!</i>

And then you hear the UKIP vans shouting vote leave at people and you suddenly decide to vote remain again.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Goving Goving Gone

That means the Great One's work on this Earth is now done! Mwuahahaha

3. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

@ wolfetone

Regarding a curvy cucumber. In some countries like Finland and Sweden cucumber is grow, during the winter, inside using electric light. The result is a thin, curvy and bitter piece of shit compared to the straight thick and juicy ones you get in the more sunny parts of Europe.

Suppose then that somebody in say Paris who sells stuff like that, decided, due to the common market, to get half a ton of those Nordic cucumbers.

That poor guy would be unable to sell and if he did he would lose his customers.

There is more to regulations sometimes than meets the eye.

1. JEDIDIAH
        Mushroom

If a product is pants, you don't buy it.

See how simple that is?

4. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Curvy cucumbers? Really? You know there's a movement afoot to utilize mis-shappen and otherwise unwanted produce? Otherwise it goes to waste. Does this cucumber regulation sabotage that sort of thing?

2. TRT Silver badge

And here's me...

thinking the Germans didn't have a sense of humour. That was the funniest thing I've read in ages!

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Pint

Re: And here's me...

Came to say *exactly* that

Have an upvote und ein Bier instead

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I remember a few years ago the German F1 drivers being asked if they knew any funny German jokes. Seb Vettel giggled (he was very young) and Nick Heidfeld said, with a straight face, "No".

The problem I found with the Germans is that after I'd explained a joke to them, they'd get it and laugh... just a bit too much :-)

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
        Pint

"Two peanuts valk into a bar. Vun of zem vas a salted. peanut."

It's been around for many years but much more amusing when recently told to me by ein Deutscher mann who worked in my division. Yes, this was after much bier.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

I'd seriously love to hear Henning Wehn's take on the whole Brexit referendum. Alas, I don't often get back to the UK to find out...

3. GrumpenKraut
      Pint

> ...thinking the Germans didn't have a sense of humour.

We do have a sense of humor. It's not well known because we retreat to the cellar before laughing.

Oh, and we apparently mock the UK. To be abundantly clear, the video does mock the UK (stereotypes) but does it in a friendly way (the "Express" totally misses that). The comedian is Oliver Welke.

Icon because whatever the outcome will be, beer is the solution.

1. Laura Kerr
        Pint

Beer is the solution

Beer is always the solution!

Prost, mein Kamerad.

3. Grant Mitchell

So now Scotland suddenly swings to vote leave

As per title...

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: So now Scotland suddenly swings to vote leave

Inspired by the commitment of the luvvies.

1. YARR
        Holmes

Labour changing strategy

I seem to recall that at the start of the referendum campaign Labour presented a near-united pro-EU front with very few opposed. As the polls have progressed and Leave has picked up momentum, I've noticed more Labour supporters switching to a "pro-Europe anti-EU" stance, basically supporting UKIP in principle but never in person. Is this a form of damage control so they don't appear totally at odds with their traditional working class voters I wonder?

4. Geronimo!

Sorry Britons, Tommies, Islandmonkeys etc. etc.

I'm afraid we (Yes, I am a partial Kraut by choice, and did that entirely voluntarily) will be bothering you with our "humorous" articles in "BILD", including our poor grasp of your grammatical peculiarities, regardless if you stay or leave.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry Britons, Tommies, Islandmonkeys etc. etc.

That was an excellent article. However, we're going to expect you to pay up on the beer thing if remain wins..

2. fruitoftheloon
      Pint

@Geronimo! Re: Sorry Britons, Tommies, Islandmonkeys etc. etc.

G,

That is stonking my son (said with distinct east london accent).

Ooi one can get by (albeit slowly) in your fine mother tongue!

Cheers mate, have one on me...

Jay

5. Doogie Howser MD
    Happy

As I think Spike Milligan said..

The German sense of humour is no laughing matter.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: As I think Spike Milligan said..

Laugh? I almost did.

2. GrumpenKraut
      Holmes

Re: As I think Spike Milligan said..

It ist! Unapproved jokes are shtriktly verboten. Jawoll!

Tze German humor police ------------------>

6. MiguelC Silver badge

Wanted to look at the original article

But apparently, ich habe nicht JavaScript aktiviert and auch ich habe ein AdBlocker aktiviert, so no sausage...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Wanted to look at the original article

You ain't missing much. Imagine the Sun but on quarto paper and with breasts on the front page.

Hell has special placed reserved for Bild and Sun editors. As with The Sun it's less offensive if you treat it as a comic. Apart from that, you can basically rinse and translate the racist bollocks from The Sun and you've got it. And like The Sun, it's mainly bought for a couple of minutes outrage at scandal of the day and the sports coverage.

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: Wanted to look at the original article

You nailed it regarding BILD. Fun fact: they used to be even worse in the past.

BILD BELLT, BALD BLÖD, BALD BLIND.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No foam, just a thick creamy head thanks.

Stop exporting your bloody awful sausages and we'll talk.

1. jason 7

"bloody awful sausages " - 'floppy fat tubes' we call them. Never found any trace of meat in a German sausage.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

exporting bloody awful sausages

That's your mistake: Try eating the ones that don't get exported instead. Go to a proper Fleischerei, tell them how you plan to cook the sausage and with what, then enjoy the results of following their advice. And your life will be free of those "joyless tubes of gristle" (per Douglas Adams)

1. swarfega

Re: exporting bloody awful sausages

Gimme a German Krakauer and I'll know what to do with it, nom nom nom ;) Yes I know it is really a Polish type. They are not the Wurst I have eaten ;)

Pint

They are not the Wurst I have eaten

I prefer Krakauer and Mettwürste to the ubiquitous and extremely bland Bratwurst. In general, I prefer the British style of sausage, as long as they're from a real butchers, and was recently delighted to find my local butcher doing chorizo style sausages with cranberry. Luvverly, especially with a bit of Mostert (ABB is the best)!

But I will be testing the altbier and onion sausages soon enough!

1. swarfega

OMG I need to go food shopping now, got hungry reading all that! The mostert had me puzzled until I read it phonetically ......

The mostert had me puzzled until I read it phonetically

It's the traditional name for mustard in and around Düsseldorf where it was more or less introduced by the French, and Düsseldorfer Mostert is now one of those jealously guarded regional designations. ABB is lovely and aromatic and comes charming earthenware pots, but I'm also a great fan of the hot enough to take the top of your head off Löwensenf that was introduced by someone from Dijon. Apart from that most mustard in Germany is the usual bland, tasteless nonsense you get anywhere.

Anyway back to food: along with good British style sausages there's a huge potential market for good, strong English cheddar. The Dutch currently have the market sewn up with the perennially bland junge Gouda (you can also get Beemster and Oud Amsterdamer) and cheddar is usually from Kerrygold. I'm sure something like Cornish Crackler would be popular here with a Röggelchen (bread roll made with rye flour) and a glass of beer. Damn it! I've got my own mouth watering now!

1. The_Idiot

Not Germany, but I can go down to St Lawrence Market (a place National Geographic once awarded 'Best Market in the World') here in Toronto and pick up artisan cheddars aged for anywhere from two years to eighteen. Oh - and Bella Casara Mascarpone, fantastic Raclette, beautiful Brie, buffalo milk Parmesan - I'd go on, but Olympic Cheese alone have over 600 cheeses, and they're not the only quality cheese vendor there :-).

Olympic Cheese - St Lawrence Market

2. GrumpenKraut
              Happy

> ...extremely bland Bratwurst.

Wot? Just buy a good one! With a side of Sauerkraut, if you dare.

Happy Bratwurst face is happy. ------------>

3. Vincent Ballard

@Charlie Clark, I wouldn't have thought cranberries and paprika would go well together. Interesting. Was it the dried chorizo for eating raw or the undried chorizo for cooking?

Pint

@Vincent

Sometimes you have to try these things out. Imagine a British style sausage (like one of Jeff Capes' fingers) but made like a Chorizo with cranberries in it. Works well. Though not as good as the red onion and ginger ones I recently had in France: there really were the dogs bollocks! Well, hopefully not literally.

4. fruitoftheloon
              Pint

@Charlie clark: Re: exporting bloody awful sausages

Charlie,

I'm voting for you with that one matey.

Out butchers (little village just north of Dartmoor), cures their own hams and makes the sausage too, they taste incredible, and by an amazing coincidence are much cheaper than that proferred by 'supermarkets'....

Also the local (6 miles away) bakery delivers orders EVERY DAY to the butchers, local pork/bacon (29 miles), milk/cream/butter/yog stuff (5 miles), cheese (1 mile!!!) life is good!!!

Cheers,

Jay

5. JEDIDIAH
              Linux

Cranberry in chorizo? [shudders]

Ay caramba!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nothing beats a Lincolnshire sausage. A cumberland sausage is a close second though.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

Throwing stones in glass houses are we?

pppppfffft We spent 2 weeks driving through Germany eating sausage. I would fly back just for the ones in Neuremburg.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goal line technology?

Of course, goal line technology has already proved this beyond doubt, but it will be nice if our Kraut cousins finally acknowledge that once in our history, the English did beat them at the sport of "chav" kings.

Wouldn't goal line technology per se have had to be installed on the actual goal line at the time of said controversial goal in order to prove anything? I'm sure video analysis of some form has indeed proven that the goal was good, but that which we normally refer to as "goal line technology" requires equipment to be installed in the stadium where the game is played in order to operate. I guess a purely camera-based system like Hawkeye could be turned to post-analysis purposes if you had camera footage from multiple angles, and you could accurately determine the position, orientation, etc of the cameras, but I doubt that is the case for the goal in question.

</pedantry>

1. lorisarvendu

Re: Goal line technology?

"I'm sure video analysis of some form has indeed proven that the goal was good..."

Doesn't look that good from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXWEVXhdUo

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Trollface

Not interested in football, but if McEnroe can claim the chalk dust cloud evidence, then I'd say that was a goal. The ball clearly hit the white line and so at least part of the ball was over the line.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The whole of the ball must cross the whole of the line.

Having said that, it was a goal.

9. seven of five

If it is in "Bild"

... it is a lie.

Flee, you fools!

10. captain veg Silver badge

Filling shoes

No offence to Paul Kunert, but I miss Lester.

-A.

1. Paul Kunert

Re: Filling shoes

Lester had Lester sized boots... don't think anyone would be able to fill them. The man pefected his art by writing 7,300 funnies, give me a chance. Regards, Paul 'po-faced' Kunert

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Filling shoes

Thanks Paul. I've noticed a few articles approaching Lesters style in recent days under various by-lines so am glad to see that his spirit lives on at El Reg. If it takes more than one of you to become the sum of Lester Haines then so be it and more power to you. I doubt he'll be forgotten for a long time and I for one am glad that you and others are stepping up to the plate to keep that writing style at the forefront of El Reg.

11. Vulch

One ommission

They didn't promise to vote for us next year in Eurovision, but, as someone commented elsewhere, there are limits...

12. ccc13481

There was no goal..

http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~vgg/publications/papers/reid96.pdf

And England are welcome to leave, but please let us keep Scotland.

1. IsJustabloke
      Happy

Re: There was no goal..

Deal!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There was no goal..

Is it living dangerously, like eating deep-fried battered Mars bars or pizza or haggis, or Nessie-hunting that you are into? :)

13. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Back in '66

I was in a bar in Puerto Soller, Majorcia watching the final. Half the bar was German and half was English.

Not one German argued about the validity of the goal at the time.Mind you the 14in Black and White TV might have had something to do with it.

Got drunk for the first time that night along with the Germans and Brits. No trouble as eveyone agreed that it was a wonderbar match.

Re: Back in '66

Too young for that but the 1990 semi-final was another classic. Complementary styles, 100% commitment and such a pity someone had to win (Germany, of course) in the end.

14. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Dear Germany...

I don't give a stuff about a game played 50 years ago. However, I will be persuaded to remain if you guarantee that whenever I go to Egypt, your citizens will stop laying towels over all of the holiday sunloungers at 6am and then deciding to not turn up at the pool until 11am to claim them.

I in return (even though this will be at the expense of much personal amusement at the sound of stroppy Germans) will promise to stop removing these aforementioned towels, and I will also cease giving them back to the pool attendant as unwanted or disregarded. I will note that this whole negotiation could have been avoided if your citizens stopped seeming to want to impose their own rules on everyone else, and abided by those already in place that serve for the benefit of everyone.

Deal? Deal.

Re: Dear Germany...

You mean something that's already in the article?

Whoosh!

2. GrumpenKraut
      Devil

> ...your citizens will stop laying towels over all ...

Nope.

For the record: I'd never do that and bloody hate people doing it. Is this really a German specialty or just a cliche?

For the record: I'd never do that and bloody hate people doing it. Is this really a German specialty or just a cliche?

Fairs, fair matey: this really is something that a lot of Germans do. But I think that's partly because they like making reservations as it reduces the chance of being disappointed. They also go on exploratory trips to the airport a couple of days before they're du to fly.

1. JEDIDIAH
          Devil

Americans are terrible about that too. Drives us nuts on cruise ships.

2. Alistair
        Pint

Sadly it applied equally in the Dominican Republic the last we were there.

Perhaps somewhat more disturbing was the noise one herd made when they discovered that the pool boys had picked them all up around 8:30 and put them back. That lot would give German tourists a bad name in any location. I assumed that they were a specific subsect of German.

GK, Have a cold one for affirming that its not a standard practice.

3. Baldy50
        Devil

Isn't that one of the universal uses for Cyanoacrylate (Superglue)?

Though Nutella or crunchy peanut butter do a good job too.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eric Arthur Blair

Nineteen Eighty-Four in 2016

16. Yugguy

the man that scratched his chaps and then sniffed his hand

And?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Stop

Re: the man that scratched his chaps and then sniffed his hand

then he stuck them down his arse crack and proceeded to get high on the fumes.

17. gypsythief

A 70 year plan in the making...

The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

(I know it's an oldie, but I like it!)

Oh, and don't the Women's 2015 World Cup: England 1 - 0 Germany. It was only for the 3rd place play off, but still.

1. energystar
      Alien

Re: A 70 year plan in the making...

You haven't been around Los Angeles of late, you Blade Runner.

18. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Will they also promise to take in Nigel and his German wife, despite Nigel's antics?

1. GrumpenKraut

Antics, who cares! Will they be good as filling of a Wurst? That is the question!

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Nige would go down a treat in Saxony or Thuringia. He'd feel right at home and could go on stage next to Bernd Höcker. They grunt racist bollocks in harmony*.

* Probably not, actually. Farage, while espousing similarly despicable shite, has at least some kind of rhetorical gift whereas as Höcker just sounds constipated.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brits--gift from America if you vote to remain.

We can't fully forget the unpleasantness of 240 years ago, but I have it on good authority that we'll let you have Newark, New Jersey and Detroit back. Maybe the Bronx too.

Re: Brits--gift from America if you vote to remain.

Oh my god! Please, no! Anyway, strictly speaking Detroit belongs to Canadia.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

Yes, but the Canadians have been getting away with looking pointedly at the ceiling and whistling tunelessly whenever the subject comes up for a long time now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Headmaster

Nope, it was Britain that ceded Detroit to the USA, so it goes back to you. I don't think Canada recognizes Detroit as a place anyway. I've heard that Canadian maps show the Ambassador Bridge exiting into a blank space labeled "Here there be monsters".

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Britain that ceded Detroit to the USA

I think the legal term is "fly-tipping"

2. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

I wouldn't admit ownership of Detroit if I didn't have to.

2. Down not across

I can understand the feelings from 240 years ago. But Newark. Really? That really is cruel and unusual punishment.

20. energystar
    Pint

Free Tickets to OktoberFest Forever...

Or have heard nothing.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry but until you admit that jurgen klinsmann and steffi graf were in fact the same person I'm voting leave.

22. Baldy50

Paul Kunert

Don't you mean 'on the fence' bud?

1. Paul Kunert

Re: Paul Kunert

Scheisse. Thanks. Paul @ El Reg

23. YARR

Did I miss something?

Has the result been fixed?

Some of you seem to think it's all over...

24. Hans 1
    Facepalm

Bild is equivalent of Daily Fail

cf title, nuff said

25. energystar
    Childcatcher

Now I'm curious...

Now I'm curious... No doubt a littler economy. Let's see if a more decent one. Best wishes. Hope is for the best :)

1. energystar
      Alert

Seems rain...

Went to vote, also.

26. Yugguy

two world wars, one world cup

And a referendum. Doodah.

Doesnt quite scan but I like it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like