back to article Huawei taps ex-Nokia devs for 'secret phone OS project'

Just when you thought the platform wars had settled down into a cosy duopoly, Huawei is reported to be working on “an alternative mobile operating system”, according to reports. “The team working on the project is based in Scandinavia and includes ex-Nokia employees,” The Information scooped. The secret project is said to be …

1. lsces

maemo

Where does maemo fit into all this nowadays. That was an OS that worked well on my N900 and these Samsung android phones have just lost the plot!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: maemo

http://cdn1.computerworlduk.com/cmsdata/slideshow/3378839/03_Tizen_mobile_OS_thumb800.jpg

2. davidp231

Re: maemo

See also: SailfishOS

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe if it wasn't full of security holes we wouldn't need the continually updated versions.

It's supposed to be a phone, ie make calls, txt, access the Internet and run a few apps. I don't need all your "new" shite designed to get more of my personal info.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm wondering where this magical device that accesses the internet and doesn't have security concerns is

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Nokia Communicator?

Or any number of cheap mobile phones since.

3. djstardust

Oh no ....

A morph between Android and Series 60.

Jesus wept .......

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Oh no ....

It's 101% sure to be the ex-Nokians Jolla which did the Sailfish OS which was a continuation of Meego.

4. Dave 15

Why?

I don't have android, I don't have apple, I don't have some flavour of linux or microsoft

I have an old symbian device. Why? Well it was a development of epoc32 which was designed around a low powered processor with a pathetic battery. Because of this it was actually pretty good, even with some of the dubious additions on top of the basic OS the battery life was very good (multiple days), you can write and deploy apps, the browser functions, the whole can have a real keyboard etc etc

Huawei., the code is out there and it is the answer you need.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

Yeah. Symbian is dead. Long live Symbian.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Secret"?

6. Daggerchild Silver badge

Hypervisor time

I'm going to need a VM for my phone OSes at this rate. Won't be able to trust any of them.

Watch who sidles up to you if you suggest severing the proprietary path up through the airwaves, through the nothing-to-see-here radio chips, through the buggy half-baked drivers and into the horcrux everyone now stores their soul in.

Anyone can make an OS. Very, very few can make a secure OS. Nobody can make a secure OS *quickly*. Don't believe anyone who hasn't bled in battle.

7. Timo

I thought that Microsoft would have been the answer for this

When Apple was running the show and Google/Android was buying Motorola's handset division, I thought that Microsoft was going to be in a good place to position their mobile OS on a base of being less evil (and less arbitrary with creating and then killing products) than Google. People should have been nervous that their supplier (Google/Android) was also competing directly against them. Google would drive manufacturers right into Microsoft's arms. But vendors they really didn't have a choice but to stay with Android, and the defection didn't happen.

And now that Microsoft seems to be abandoning phones and making a general mess of them they will just be missing their opportunity here.

8. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Sailfish

Ooh! Like davidp231, I hope its Sailfish.

Ex-Nokia Engineers. Check

Nordic. Check (Finland, Helsinki). Note Scandinavia doesn;t include Finland - it is Denmark, Norway and Sweden; but lots of people do not know this.

Available now. Check (My phone currently running version 2.0.1.11 "Taalojärvi")

9. ScissorHands

Better get the N9 devs

I'll buy! Just remember that Qt can't be closed, by definition.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. James 51

Re: psst,

Long live BB10! Blackberry have a father's day sale on as well. Sorely tempted to pick up a Passport SE.

11. tiggity Silver badge

apps

Mega hurdle for any new OS is lack of apps.

The manufacturers forced Google down this path by the way they so often can't be bothered to provide patches / updates for phones (a bit of an effort made with flagship models, but they soon cannot be bothered).

At least Google binary means the customer has a netter chance of getting security bug fixes than the current broken system (& phone makers, please stop with all the skins & cruft - its not "added value" or "differentiation / identity" it's irritating, give me vanilla android & let me choose what extras to add (or not)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like