back to article Cloudian clobbers car drivers with targeted ads

Cloudian object storage is being used to target Japanese drivers with focussed ads as they drive past a digital billboard. Dentsu, a Japanese advertising supplier, has set up an experimental system on a road in the Tokyo area where road gantry-located video cameras capture images of vehicles and drivers. It features deep …

1. Ben Boyle

Uniquely relevant

On your way home from the dealership: "You're driving a brand new BMW... would you like to buy a new BMW?"

Just picked up your daughter: "You recently searched for baby products, you should buy Pampers!"

In the car with the wife and she's looking a bit testy: "Try AshleyMadison.com, free for 30 days!"

We may expect targeted ads, because that's what's being shoved down our throats, but it doesn't mean that we *like* it.

1. GrandTour

Re: Uniquely relevant

I remember my first targeted ad, they didn't realize what happens if you don't filter words that are impossible to buy/sell with marketplace ads.

I was searching for explosions for a school project.

This is a Google ad gem:

Looking for explosions?

Find new and used explosions on eBay!

2. Yugguy

Two words

FUCK OFF

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Two words

Two more:

AND DIE!

1. Fatman

Re: Two words

and two more.

YOU ASSHOLES!!!!

3. ma1010
    Mushroom

OMG!

The clowns coming up with this concept should be strapped into heavy-duty chairs with their eyelids propped open and forced to watch "targeted ads" for three days straight.

The drooling, gibbering remnants of human beings they then became could be released to start their new life on the streets.

4. jtaylor
    WTF?

Safety or profits?

As I understand it, an effective advertisement captures the viewer's attention long enough and strongly enough to change purchasing decisions.

Pushing these ads to drivers sounds like a genius way to cause road accidents.

1. Magani
      FAIL

Re: Safety or profits?

One wonders how long before the ambulance chasing scum of the legal profession latch on to this with the "M'lud, my client was distracted by <insert billboard pic> and was therefore not aware of the traffic stopped in front of him" defence.

Absolute madness, I tell you. Just because you can, etc, etc

5. Andy Non Silver badge
    Facepalm

Sooner or later

the ads will be personally targeted. Can just imagine someone sitting waiting at traffic lights and a big billboard display lighting up "Mrs Jones, special offer on incontinence pads, buy now at ..."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sooner or later

It's probably the pr0n ads after visiting some specific city locations that will terminate this idea, especially if it involves politicians.

I'm rather puzzled, though, I thought privacy was rather well protected in Japan. I recall Google getting into trouble with its Streetview because of it, so why is this suddenly OK?

6. vir

Meh

I don't even bother to look at billboards anymore; these companies can fritter away their money on this technology for all I care.

7. Only me!
    Facepalm

Ads

This is not for companies selling stuff, this is for the ad agencies selling the same space 6 times!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Ads

Nailed it!

8. hellwig

Why Billboards?

Unlike TV ads that make money for the networks to continue creating great, entertaining programming (well, that's what the ads tell us anyway), billboards only pay for their own existence.

Consumers don't care that a billboard exists (unless it blocks their view of something). Billboards are like websites that only serve up ads, without any real content (aggregators, I think they're called). Or TV channels that only show commercials (is there such a hell?).

Targeted ads only make sense when you don't want to LOSE someone's focus (e.g. "You're reading our news, here's an ad that will hopefully not make you close your browser window). As others have mentioned, you shouldn't be stealing focus from people operating motor vehicles.

1. DiViDeD

Re: Why Billboards?

"TV channels that only show commercials (is there such a hell?)."

Well no, but you've just given our Marketing Manager a brilliant* idea!

* for given values of 'brilliant'

1. Neoc

Well, yes: They're called "The Shopping Network" or variants thereof.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Or TV channels that only show commercials (is there such a hell?).

Yes, the ones that show "pop videos" (i.e. promotional ads for the latest records).

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Flame

So how long

before we can purchase targeted ad-blockers?

1. Stoneshop
      Mushroom

Re: So how long

A belt-fed paintball gun. Preferably a Gatling.

1. Diodelogic

Amazingly enough, I've actually built a paintball Gatling gun. It's not belt-fed, but feeds from a "powered magazine" to keep stuffing paintballs into the gun as fast as it can fire. Got it up to 6000 paintballs/minute but then realized just how many paintballs I was going through--it gets expensive after a few minutes.

2. Captain DaFt

"before we can purchase targeted ad-blockers?"

Eh, those things are never secure, so:

Passenger in car takes smartphone, uses wifi to log into billboard with "Admin" and "password".

Has billboard log into pronworld.net/classics/debbydoesdallas.mp4*, selects stream.

Change billboard's login to something very secure and logs off.

Problem sorted.

*Not a real weblink, sorry guys. :)

10. Camilla Smythe

Pointing and calling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_and_calling

"Hai!! Advert for muschi muschi toy!!"

-

-

"Hai!!" BANG CRUMP

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Pointing and calling

That reads kinda, um, interesting to a Krautistanian. Roadside ads in Japan targeted at Edmund Stoiber's wife?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aliens (1986)...

Ripley: You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

12. BitDr

Targetted Adverts?

Kind of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXJ_obaiYQ

13. Sureo

That's a lot of bother....

That's a lot of bother for something that will be mostly ignored. Would be interesting, though, to see what it did if you wore an 'anonymous' mask... perhaps an ad for a plastic surgeon?

1. vir

Re: That's a lot of bother....

Nothing - or, at least, nothing different; the system only identifies the make and model of your car. For now.

14. fidodogbreath
    Big Brother

Minority Report, anyone?

But instead of eyeball transplants, we'll need ski masks, James Bond rotating license plates, and those dazzle camouflage vehicle wraps that car companies use when they road-test new models.

15. P. Lee
    Unhappy

Two Things

1. This is what "deep learning" is all about. You can forget your Cherry 2000.

2. Any company which puts "cloud" or references to the cloud in its name probably deserves to die.

1. Fatman
      Thumb Up

Re: Two Things

I gave you an upvote for the Cherry 2000 reference.

16. joed

Is this an ad blocker

or just a sun visor?

17. DiViDeD

But Why (o why o why o why)?

This seems to be a lot of trouble to go to just to display something on a billboard which will register on most drivers as 'Oh, it's a billboard' in the small corner of their mind not currently occupied with texting, changing the CD, thinking up cruel and unusual punishment for the Audi driver who just cut them up, wondering if they should have got off at the last junction, fiddling with the GPS and, oh yes, driving a car.

18. Neoc

"Privacy concerns will be assuaged by the system not storing camera images once they have been analyzed. Also the system doesn't capture licence plates or other identifiable vehicle information."

Yet. How much do you trust the company responsible for this abomination not to succumb to the urge to sell us out? And how long before the GuvMint decides to issue "requests" that "metadata" be kept - purely for our own protection, of course.

19. Arachnoid

Driverless Vehicles

Of course these will be targeted at driverless vehicles dont ya know, otherwise it could be claimed as a contributing factor in a accident M`laud.

20. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Shirley?

Utterly stupid - and highly dangerous. The entire add industry has become a completely hostile entity.

I've noticed some petrol stations do adds now at the pump. I also noticed a tiny camera, so as soon as the fill starts I make a point of turning my back on the pump (I always fill the tank) with just a quick glance at the total before I go and pay.

I've also learned to ignore programmable motorway signs now unless the lights are flashing.

21. Sciolistes

I see Amazon's a partner: an entire city center plastered with ads telling me "most people who bought your toaster bought another one." "Bought a soldering iron? Check out our love pillows!"

22. Cuddles

Personalised to who?

Have these guys ever actually looked at the traffic around Tokyo? Which of the hundreds of cars passing at any given time are they going to personalise adverts for?

23. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Time to buy a google car

and paint the windscreen black.

24. GrandTour

Wow! Definitely not appealing at all!

I have yet to buy something based on advertising alone... everything I get is researched and reviewed before purchased.

Remember, people are idiots...

That alone will save you much headache and grief.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon