back to article Google medical search

Hypochondriacs rejoice! Google has added medical symptoms to its search lookup. The Chocolate Factory says that Google will now provide medical suggestions when users query symptoms. When the user searches for a symptom such as "headache," Google will now suggest possible causes or treatments, as well as possibly pointing out …

1. Herby
    Joke

Do they have a cure...

...for too much Google?? I suspect that some people need it at times!

2. a_yank_lurker

Self-diagnosis via Google

"users should seek advice from an actual doctor" per the Chocolate Factory is probably not going to be followed by far to many.

1. Skoorb

Re: Self-diagnosis via Google

Yeah. In the UK it should really at least advise people to call 111 rather than making them think it's an emergency and thus sending them to A&E.

At least then people with a spot in their early or an aching knee can be redirected to a pharmacy or out of hours GP.

3. Oengus

More targeted Ads

Now Google will be able to target pharmaceutical ads better... (and use the search querries as a defense the next time they get hauled over the coals for dodgy drug ads)

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: More targeted Ads

When you say "More targeted ... " do you mean a greater quantity or more relevant ads?

I know where I'd wager my money.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"medical search feature should be used only for reference"

"only for reference".... Except for Google themselves. Clearly they intend to keep all medical searches on file indefinitely... It'll make for interesting cross-comparison with the free NHS data they're getting...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon