back to article Major Tim Peake comes home to a gastronaut's Sunday roast

What better way for Major Tim Peake to celebrate his homecoming after six months in space than with buckets of meat and veg - a roast dinner - strategically placed on a giant plate to look like him. Peake, who touched down on terra firma in Kazakhstan at the weekend, previously listed the Sunday favourite as his top nosh and …

1. TRT Silver badge

Misread this...

"Peake will spend the next week undergoing tests to ascertain the impact on his body of living in space, and getting used to gravity again." as "... getting used to gravy again."

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Misread this...

Well you have to eat with special utensils in space - because liquids behave all funny, and you don't want them spread all round the station, and in the air filters.

So he's been leading a gravy-less (as well as almost gravityless) exisitence for the last 6 months. And now has to master the delicate task of getting foods such as cabbage or yorkshires into his mouth, without dribbling gravy down his chin / shirt.

Hopefully this is part of the vital space medicine research that he is undertaking.

Obviously radiation exposure and loss of bone density are a massive problem to be overcome on any trip to Mars. But it's a concept too horrible to contemplate, that returning astronauts might find themselves medically unable to eat yorkshire puddings again!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Misread this...

If he's from the north, I'm sure he'll be perfectly happy eating gravy through a straw.

Obviously a wide-bore straw, as proper gravy is practically a solid.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

2.5kg of roasties and 46 Yorkshire puddings, 2.5kg of meat and one litre of gravy.

Please tell me that this stuff got eaten, after the photo was taken. And quickly too! Surely they can't have allowed all that cruncy yorkshire and roastie delicousness to go to waste?

Oh and some vegetables too...

1. Rusty 1
      Happy

So that's the starter. What's for the main course?

3. Blipvert
    Trollface

Food Glorious Food!

Nice to see the artist included some veg, should keep the linux users appy.

1. joeW
      Trollface

Re: Food Glorious Food!

I thought the Linux users' veggy intake is limited to the little freeze-dried packets that come with ramen noodles.

2. Baldy50
      Coat

Re: Food Glorious Food!

Piss off, we're not all tree huggers and vegies ya know!

Could handle the crap food as long as there was something nice to wash it down with, it's the other part of the cycle that creeps me out.

Just how much poo's floating around up there any way along side all the space junk, do they bring it back or do they still jettison it?

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Makes a change from protein pills at least

Yeah, now Major T's safely on terra firma I'm flogging the Space Oddity jokes for all their worth.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tube based mush?

Dude, the sixties went that way. Astronauts eat solid food.

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Glad that Major Tim made it back all right! Free roasts for life? Now I'm even more jealous of 'nauts.

Can't help to think "what would Lester have made out 'nauts and food in spaaace and on earth" though. Something savoury, that's a given.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone fill me in...

What was his mission?

All I saw him do was read a bedtime story on cbeebies. When can we expect a full report on all the research he managed to conduct?

If I went away for 6 months on business my boss would expect miracles to have been achieved.

Presumably he did a bit more than that. If not the BBC can fucking whistle for its license fee. Im not paying for them to rocket someone up to space to read a fucking story.

My lad wasn't even interested. I said to him "look lad hes in space" all he did was shit his nappy, crawl off and start huffing his favourite blanket like a meth addict.

1. Uffish

Re: Can someone fill me in...

https://principia.org.uk/the-mission/experiments-in-space/

That's a list of some of what he was doing and I would imagine that the full documentation of his work program would have a mass considerably higher than that of Tim Peake. Also, I imagine that he followed the work plan, or if not, the fully approved and vetted, modified work plan. So he did what his bosses wanted.

I only saw a couple of 360° flips and a clip from a live question and answer session where he 'disappeared' - it went down well with the school kids.

All in all, "mission accomplished" I think.

The UK has finally decided to play a bigger part in the space business, I'm very impressed that we have, for once, got back to some joined-up government thinking.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Can someone fill me in...

> The UK has finally decided to play a bigger part in the space business,

Indeed - the UK Space Centre shared a building where my wife works. In the decidedly non-spacey environment of Swindon..

:-)

8. Cynic_999

Ethnocentric reporting

It's a pity that the mainstream British media did not broadcast all this interesting stuff until a Brit did it. It must seem very old hat to nations that have had their nationals going up & down to the ISS like a fiddlers' elbow for over a decade.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Ethnocentric reporting

Chris Hadfield got a lot of coverage. Because of that song he, well seemingly his son, released - plus all his excellent (and popular) YouTubery. He got more coverage than anybody on the ISS that I can remember. Even more than Luca Parmitano trying to be the first man to drown in space.

Whether the UK press' appetite had been whetted by the announcement that Tim Peake was up soon, or whether it was just the right time, I'm not sure. But there seems to have been more mainstream media coverage of space of late - the Mars rovers, a little of SpaceX, Hadfield and Peake. Philae doing it's comety bouncy thing.

I suspect that some of it is good communications, but also the sense that different things are happening. Perhaps even interesting things. And that gets the news people interested And if you can get publicity, you're that much closer to getting funding. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

The Peake of his career has been reached and it was a Major Peake. At least now he can get away from all the Ground Control to Major Tim cracks.

And why does the broadcast media always manage to say his name like it's all one word Timpeake?

Anyway, coat, got, gone.

1. hplasm
          Happy

Are you saying we have reached peak Peake?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> Are you saying we have reached peak Peake?

Dunno. But you have piqued my interest in peak Peake pique.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon