back to article Tim Peake to return to Earth after six months floating around in space

British astronaut Major Tim Peake and the rest of the crew aboard the Soyuz spacecraft will be zooming back to earth after a six-month long mission in space. The spacecraft is expected to touch down on Earth around 0900 GMT. The journey back to earth is more dangerous than going into space. During re-entry, the spacecraft …

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

"accidentally mis-dialled a wrong number from space."

Wait, I'm confused. Does this mean he dialed the correct number by mistake or that he got a wrong number even more wrong?

Either way, job well done!

1. choleric

Re: "accidentally mis-dialled a wrong number from space."

No it's much worse than that. If he did it accidentally then he got the wrong wrong number, which, if two wrongs don't make a right, means he meant to get the right wrong number but didn't, so he was wrong, but it was an accident so that's OK, as long as the person on the receiving end wasn't signed up to TPS, in which case the ISS, or ESA, whichever one's right, could be on the wrong end of a hefty fine. I think that's right.

Mind you, it's better than the mistiling event that Columbia suffered. Coat, ta.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

The man who fell to Earth

6 months! He's going to have so many Windows critical patches to install on his kit...

1. Mark 85

Re: The man who fell to Earth

Nah... he left them set to Auto. But he will have a headache trying to uninstall Windows 10.

3. Bluto Nash
    Pint

Speed?

When the spacecraft is 10km away from the surface of the Earth, parachutes will open to slow the descent further for a crash landing at 5km/h.

So you're saying it'll take close to 2 hours for it to get to terra firma? Either that or it slows down a LOT right there at the end.

Icon for Tim -->

1. VinceH
      Coat

Re: Speed?

It slows down a lot over the course of those 10km.

For it to take two hours to descend those final ten kilometres (i.e. at 5km/hour) would require an instant deceleration from the speed at which it is travelling to that 5km/hour speed the moment the 'chute opens.

At least, that's how I think it works. But then, I'm not even a brain surgeon, so rocket science is way beyond me.

1. VinceH

Re: Speed?

Out of curiosity, I thought I'd check. The article is very simplified in terms of the descent and deceleration.

According to this, the descent is slowed from 755 feet per second (226.5m/s) to 5 feet per second (1.5m/s).

1.5m/s is 5.4km/hour - so rounded, 5km/hour is correct. However, the devil is in the detail.

The 'chutes aren't the sole method of deceleration: There are two pilot parachutes and a drogue which bring it down from the the 755 feet per second to 262 feet per second (78.6 m/s). The main 'chute then brings it down to 24 feet per second (7.2m/s) and finally (and quite literally at the very last second) some small engines fire to reduce the speed to that final 1.5m/s.

Fascinating stuff.

4. Adrian Jones

09:00 GMT

So, 10 o'clock then.

1. King Jack
      Headmaster

Re: 09:00 GMT

I depends on where you are on earth, so not necessarily.

5. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

I think NewsThump probably called it right with this piece of satire -

http://newsthump.com/2016/06/17/can-i-stay-up-here-it-sounds-really-shit-down-there-asks-tim-peake

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

It's and old joke

but beautifully expressed.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Safe Ride Home, Tim!

Thank you for your service.

You've made us of Our Majesty's Commonwealth proud! :-D

7. Steve 39
    Trollface

Good career move?

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a fantastic trip and I've love to do it, but was it a good move for his career? I mean, taking 6 months off like that, what will he say to prospective future employers? "Did some travelling?"

I'm sure my friend Ken M would agree.

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Good career move?

Prospective future employer: Tautology?

Taking Time Dilation into account. 0.005 seconds in 6 months? Hmm slim chance of a prospective past employer or a historic future employer there (don't ask me which of those two it would be).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

8. Camilla Smythe
    Pint

Hmm...

"With reduced gravity in space, bodily fluids have been pushed upwards, increasing the pressure in the brain and causes the astronauts’ faces to swell and their eyesight to blur."

Given our biologicals have spent a bit of time evolving, on a planet that's revolving, under gravitational influence and spend most of our time with our heads at the top then it makes sense that the fluidic systems involved might over time decide to pump stuff in that general direction.

I suppose being in micro-gravity space is half/quarter[?] of the equivalent of standing on your head on earth for a couple of minutes whilst you drink a pint.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Six months in space

You English, you'd do anything to avoid bath night.

Just getting my dressing gown --->

10. Zebo-the-Fat

Just being picky

So, he's looking forward to " enjoying the scents and smells of Planet Earth " What makes a scent a smell, or a smell a scent?

Either way it probably smells better than living in tin can for 6 months!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just being picky

"enjoying the scents and smells of Planet Earth " What makes a scent a smell, or a smell a scent?"

Ooh, ooh, Sir, I know this one!

If people pay to put it on themselves, or dogs want to follow it, it's a scent. If people complain about it or dogs roll in it, it's a smell.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hhmmm...

So our £80M (or whatever it was) got us what? Apart from Major P getting a Knighthood, that is - something we all really need.

1. Small Furry Animal
      Coat

Re: Hhmmm...

You mean apart from all the research, the re-engagement of hundreds of thousands of schoolkids in STEM, the hours of fascinating TV broadcasts and a general pushing of the envelope? Not a lot.

What has Anonymous Coward ever given us? PAHH!!

Mine's the one with the ISS reservation in the pocket

1. HKmk23

Are those the same schoolkids the kids of the parents who were misled into thinking that the BBC micro was a sure fire way into earning the same as Bill Gates?

2. Tom 64
      Pint

If the cost to the British tax payer really was only £80m, I'd say it was a bargain.

Inspirational stunts like this are good for getting the kids interested in science. Money well spent.

3. HKmk23

I was wondering if I was the only one who was questioning what he actually did up there apart from entertain a few schools and some zero gravity acrobatics? How much did it actually cost and who paid?

Or was this another jolly for one of the boys?

4. Francis Boyle Silver badge

It was worth £80M

just so someone could say "ground control to Major Tim". (Someone did say that didn't they?)

Seriously, I'm not British so I don't have a stake in this but doesn't it come down to whether you want to play with the big boys or sulk in the corner? Because, for the big boys 80 million is small change. Go ask Elon.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It was worth £80M

Elon is perfectly entitled to spend HIS money on exactly what he wants to. As a taxpayer nobody asked me if I wanted MY tax £s to pay for this jolly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like