back to article Who shot JR (that great Dallas broadband)?

Add Dallas, Texas to the ranks of cities set to enjoy Google Fiber broadband. The Chocolate Factory has begun exploring the Lone Star city as a likely market for the broadband service. The third-largest city in Texas would be among the largest US markets to benefit from the Chocolate Factory's high-speed broadband network. " …

1. Dadmin
    Go

Get the facts!

"AT&T and Comcast have an uncanny knack for deciding to expand their own fiber offerings to cities that get Google Fiber"

Bus wankers! AT&T had since 1977 to lay down some fibre, and didn't do it. If not for the Googles of the world, we'd still be using rotary dial phones and AT&T would be damn proud to overcharge you for that service, and extra for the phone itself, and surcharges, and tax.

1. Rol

Re: Get the facts!

What's a bus wanker? other than an idiot driver who wankers a double decker bus by driving it under a low bridge.

1. paulf
        Coffee/keyboard

Bus Wankers. A reference from the the UK series The Inbetweeners. Clip sound is NSFW so use headphones!

Jay tries it a second time and it all goes wrong.

There is a US version floating around which also includes the Bus Wankers sequence but I can't find it.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

1977 was a little early for anyone to get fibre as a backbone but your sentiment was well meant.

My issue with Google is their need to be fed data about virtually everyone.

Does Google Fibre slurp your data back to the Chocolate Factory or are they playing a clean game and not sucking your data from under you so that it can be used in their AI, to improve your life with Adverts etc?

It would be nice to know that side of the coin.

Is it a choice between 100Mbits and data sucking (with Google) or 20Mbits and ISP Data Neutrality with AT&T/Comcast etc?

I'm not a US resident so it does not matter to me which wat round it is but it would be nice to know.

1. G Olson

AT&T and Comcast are so neutral they will just plain not transmit your data at all for days at a time. Just call and report a connection issue -- I dare you.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

The other companies don't slurp your data? Are you high? Because nobody can be this naive.

3. Bob H

I think one of the questions with Google is: what do they do at the edges? How do they decide when to stop laying fibre? Most importantly: who gets left behind?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AT&T in Dallas

One thing not mentioned in the article is that AT&T world HQ is located in Dallas. This is really a shot across their bow.

I happen to be just over a mile down the street from that HQ. The best "broadband" (hah!) DSL service they were able to deliver to my address was just under 3Mbps, with lots of down time. Fortunately a local company installed a fiber backbone in the neighborhood, and I now get 50M promised / 100M actual for just $50/month. If Google can do that for the whole city ATT will be in a world of hurt.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "[..] ATT will be in a world of hurt"

And not a single tear will be shed.

1. theblackhand

Re: "[..] ATT will be in a world of hurt"

Re: And not a single tear will be shed.

I sometimes cry when I laugh REALLY hard...

3. FuzzyWuzzys

One company to rule them al!.

Soon they'll only be one website left on the internet and only one provider to get to it from your house and only one mobile operating system, all owned by one company!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One company to rule them al!.

But it will be "free" dammit, FREE! (And who doesn't love FREE?)

2. Preston Munchensonton

Soon they'll only be one website left on the internet and only one provider to get to it from your house and only one mobile operating system, all owned by one company!

If this is true, and they are making the gobs of money that one would expect, who wouldn't line up to try and take that market share from them? So long as regulations don't insulate their monopoly, then they won't stay one for very long.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you must live in Arkansas.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

AOL tried that. How'd that work out?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like