back to article Openmoko to reveal Linux phone's inner workings

Enterprising engineers will soon get the chance to find out how Openmoko's Linux-powered phones work and to modify them. Barely a month after shipping the Neo FreeRunner, Openmoko has said it plans to make the schematics for this - and the Neo 1973 - publicly available under a Creative Commons (CC) license. No date was given …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

So

So the clone on clone Ifoney replacements are coming !

2. Drak

its a case of management out of touch with R&D

Its a concept that could work, make things modular, give every possible choice to the gadget freak. And theyre already started out in reverse with screen data entry interface which is what so many dont like about the iPhone. Why are so many cellphone makers out of touch with what the user wants? Smartphone technology has been laying dormant for so many years just because the handset companys are too dense to package together all the advanced hardware and software features.

3. Pete "oranges" B.
    Unhappy

@Drak

Because they want you to keep buying phones. If they were to give you such an uber-device, you might be tempted to keep it after your contract was up.

Additionally, (as far as I can tell any way) most people just get the subsidized drek that comes with their plan anyway. Cell culture / popular features are then built around the features included on the cheapened / freebie models (notice even Palm makes such a phone now, never mind the fact that it's much to tiny for anyone over the age of 13 to use). It takes a fairly dedicated geek or a business professional to seek out a phone based on specific features that are useful to them on an individual basis. Which means more than just "Like ZOMG does ur phone do PiXmssgs?"

(I hate phone culture. I really do. I like confuse them by saying "SMS messages" and laughing as I send and receive unlimted messages through the gateways.)

4. David Murrell

Schematics are already up:

http://downloads.openmoko.org/schematics/

5. Drak

@"oranges"

Id like to find out more about SMS gateways. Could you tell me about what you use either here or by email. cantrellb (at) gmail dotcom

6. chuckufarley Silver badge
    Coat

@ Alll

I like OpenMoko for the same reason I like all OS projects: Sooner or later somebody else will give (in fully functional code) me and the rest of the world the same ideas (and a lot more) I had years ago.

Sure it'll cost a bit more but it's worth it if you what's ahead. Oh, yeah, a few of us might have richer had we acted in these ideas when we had them, but at least we haven't worked ourselves nearly to death trying to get there and our children never had to ask the question "Mum, why does Dad never leave that shed?"

If OpenMoko can make this work then what's next? Gasp!! Could it be Open Source Hardware? Nah, that's just silly. How could anyone make money on that?

Coat, Hat, Pub.

7. Pete "oranges" B.
    Gates Horns

@Drak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_gateway

A good number of carriers have them, providing eMail > SMS and SMS > eMail services free of charge. Great for when you want to send a quick message from a WiFi enabled device or a wired connection. It works out even better for me, since I have an unlimited (by which AT&T apparently means 5GB per month) mobile data plan, I can communicate with most of my contacts through my eMail application with no per message costs to me. Now as I said above, actually trying to tack out a message on the Centro's lilliputian keyboard is a completely different matter.

Evil Bill, because I still like my Palm better than his WMDs*

*Windows Mobile Devices*

*Very bad pun, I know.

8. Gulfie
    Happy

@heystoopid and @David Murrell

The OpenMoko was announced some months before the iPhone and the pre-production hardware has been available since the developer launch which was in early March 2007. HTC (the main sponsor) have not chosen to throw a bundle of money at the development of the hardware and software, hence the long gestation period between pre-production and production hardware.

And the CAD files have been available for months. If you visit openmoko.org you can even register your interest in one or more proposed alternative cases.

I do think the project has its problems, for example there is no over-arching look, feel and behaviour designed for the core applications - unlike the iPhone, which you can get to grips with inside 30 minutes.

9. Ciaran McHale

Creative Commons is not necessariarly open-source

Creative Commons offer several licenses, and the majority of them are *not* open-source (http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd) because they forbid modifications and/or commercial use.

So, when "Openmoko has said it plans to make the schematics for this - and the Neo 1973 - publicly available under a Creative Commons (CC) license", you need to ask *which* CC license. Without knowing which CC license is going to be used, it is irresponsible of the article's author to claim that "Enterprising engineers will soon get the chance [...] to modify [Openmoko's Linux-powered phones]."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like